Comet Lovejoy

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Comet Lovejoy

Post by Dschur » Jan 15 2015 3:55 pm

Comet Lovejoy is now about magnitude 3.8, and it should remain that bright all week. It's high in the evening sky for your binoculars or low-power, wide-field telescope. It's also dimly visible to the unaided eye under dark-sky conditions — if you know exactly where to look! For any of you out in the evening check it out..
Attachments
Comet_Lovejoy_Jan2015_chart.jpg
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Dschur

Re: Comet Lovejoy

Post by Dschur » Jan 15 2015 3:57 pm

This was taken earlier in the week.
Attachments
Orion&CometLovejoyQ2-010715FSchur-800.jpg
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 15 2015 4:15 pm

Is the comet named after this guy?
Attachments
lovejoy.jpg
Profound observer

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 15 2015 5:11 pm

What time should I look for it ? Payson Airport or Shoofly ?
jk

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 15 2015 8:51 pm

Dschur wrote:Comet Lovejoy is now about magnitude 3.8, and it should remain that bright all week.
I observed it on a couple nights last week with binoculars. Unfortunately, it's so overcast this time of year that good opportunities are rare, and it was too close to the nearly full moon on the best viewing night. I eventually found it, but it was just a faint smudge. I hope AZ has better viewing.

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Jan 15 2015 9:18 pm

Got a look at it yesterday from Tucson. It appeared as a green fuzzball through the binoculars.
Onward into oblivion!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 16 2015 4:20 am

rwstorm wrote:Got a look at it yesterday from Tucson. It appeared as a green fuzzball through the binoculars.
I have those under the bed. I don't need to go outside and peer up into the sky to find one.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Dschur

Post by Dschur » Jan 16 2015 10:11 pm

9ish or when you can see the Pleiades looks like the next couple of nights will be to the right of them... and they are up most of the night right now..
Dawn

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 16 2015 11:12 pm

Was able to observe the other night. The airport has its rotating beacon up and running so went out on Houston Mesa Road near Shoofly. While watching the night sky a cow got the drop on me, not sure if it said moo or boo but it did startle me.
jk

Return to “Astronomy/Sky”