Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad » Mar 06 2008 7:26 pm

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by Jim_H » Aug 03 2015 9:24 am

So, I get to take my Subaru back to a dealer to have yet another problem taken care of, maybe. The persistent rattling noise that comes from underneath of the car when the engine idles or I move at slower speeds. Usually when the engine is cool.

Tucson Subaru lied to me when they told me my rattling noise was a common issue that was originating in the spark plugs and the engineers were working on it. Corporate and Camelback Subaru denied any knowledge of such things. Why I was told this lie, with very specific details such as the spark plugs fire in such a way that they produce a rattling noise, is beyond me.

I still wish I never bought this Subaru Lemon, or any Subaru. Who would have thought my then 10 year old Honda with body damage and 175,000 miles would have been better than a new Outback. Obviously, I recommend ever buying a Subaru, but I know no one listens to such thing. In fact, most people seem to think their stupid Subaru is just great.
Are you ready for some women's volleyball!?!? Some Monday night women's volleyball!!

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Aug 03 2015 9:31 am

Love my stupid Forester...
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 03 2015 9:44 am

Have you considered upgrading and buying my PoS Outback? You really should, since you're a part of that die hard crowd that has a love affair with what is very clearly junk. If you love a clunky, loud, rattling, jerky paint mixer on wheels, then you'll love my Outback! Whether you're sitting at a stop light with people looking at the thing wondering where that strange rattle is coming from, or noticing a forward jerk when accelerating on smooth roads (that started recently), or just once again noting that the alignment and balance seems to be out, you'll truly love yet another stupid Subaru.

Subaru: a Handicapped vehicle made for pretentious suburban white people who think that just because it has all wheel drive, it is better than a regular car. It isn't. It's worse. I feel like Clark Griswold buying a Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

Here I am buying my car!

Ooops, I was speeding while headed up La Plata Canyon Road, in Colorado, and got real tongue lashing from this police man.

Performance? You bet!
Are you ready for some women's volleyball!?!? Some Monday night women's volleyball!!

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Aug 03 2015 1:17 pm

Jim_H wrote:The persistent rattling noise that comes from underneath of the car when the engine idles or I move at slower speeds. Usually when the engine is cool.
I have 2 cars that did that. It was not a big deal tho. It happened up to a 1000 miles after I changed the oil and went away. Mechanic told me that it was being the oil was cleaner and thinner, which made older engines noisy, but after the oil thickened up, it stopped. It did that until I got rid of them.

BUT, my cars had over 200,000 on them. Your engine is new, and I doubt that it is the same thing, but you never know.

Also, don't buy an Xterra from 2000 to 2008 (esp from 2005 to 2007). Those cars have a history of transmission and engine problems. I'm not sure if they fixt them, but I would not trust them.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ni ... ine+issues

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 03 2015 1:33 pm

@gummo
2009 Xterra, bought brand new...160,000 miles, zero days in shop...

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Aug 03 2015 1:45 pm

@friendofThundergodEven if you are using synthetic, you may want to change the oil and filters about now.... :M2C:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 03 2015 1:56 pm

@The Eagle
I said a "day" in the shop, where do you go that takes a day to change the oil? I know you old, but there is this thing called a 15 minute oil change prob came out in the 90s I assume??

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Aug 03 2015 2:05 pm

friendofThundergod wrote: I know you old
I know you young, and a teacher, but... is 15 minutes part of a day. It's that whole subset thing... oops, sorry, math again ;)
Dave Barry

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 03 2015 2:25 pm

@The Eagle
Boss says, "I need you to come in for the day tomorrow, we are super busy"

Employee leaves after 15 minutes, explains to boss, "well isn't 15 minutes part of a day?"

I think I win this one Bruce ;)

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Aug 03 2015 2:33 pm

@friendofThundergod
While my Truck is actually in the shop today, It won't be in for 24 hours, 8 hours, or even 6 hours.

In your example...."The Day" and "work" is assumed to be whatever your normal working hours are... or, if it's over and above your "Normal" working hours, maybe he wants you to come in for "15 minutes" to check on something. You know all about assuming....
Dave Barry

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 03 2015 2:43 pm

@The Eagle
I lost interest in this one already, but could you please quit watching me while I work? I guess the old teacher liked Eagles ha ha
Attachments
image.jpg

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Aug 03 2015 2:46 pm

Me to...
You may need to put blinders on me. I've seen things today I can't erase.
Are you sure that's the lesson plan you really want to go with?
Dave Barry

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Aug 03 2015 5:15 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:@gummo
2009 Xterra, bought brand new...160,000 miles, zero days in shop...
I guess they did fix the problem then. :)

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Aug 03 2015 6:32 pm

@gummo
Ya that was my point until Bruce started playing semantics with me, been very pleased with my Xterra I think another one or Four Runner next..

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 04 2015 4:21 am

Since a lot of people seem happy with Subaru vehicles it seems reasonable to me to assume that Jim got a lemon.

So Jim: Just trade it in, please! And why would you spend a lot of money fixing it beforehand? My daughter's total lemon VW "new" Beetle worked only in one gear (2nd)when she traded it in, and they gave her just as much as they would have if it had all its gears. Guess what, they didn't even check to see if it drove properly! She paid $5000 for it, I think, and got at least $3000 in trade over four years later, and it barely drove! If you can drive it onto the car lot, that's all that matters. If it won't drive you probably can't trade it in.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Spiced Rum
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Aug 04 2015 10:45 pm

2007Toyota FJ Cruiser is what I use
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 05 2015 12:36 pm

It was a rock, rattling around in the heat shield. I don't know why the rep at Tucson Sub told me it was the spark plugs in the engine, and that the engineers were working on a fix, or why when I asked about it in May during my 30,000 mile service appt I was pretty much told they didn't know much about it. Anyway, I now have no loud rattle coming from under the car. The engine still knocks, but Subaru engines just do that, premium, mid-grade, or with the recommended 87 octane regular. At least it doesn't sound like the engine might come off the mounts.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Aug 16 2015 8:26 am

Hey there fellow HAZ'ers, I'm back from a month in Africa. Looks like the only thing I missed was Jim_H's ongoing Subaru trials and tribulations.
(Don't worry, I lost no sleep over missing out on that) [-(

Speaking of Subaru's... oh wait, I meant another Japanese vehicle beginning with Su, as in Suzuki.

Ok, so speaking of Suzuki's, while in Tanzania I saw so many Suzuki Gypsy's it was easy to get lonely for my Samurai... If I were to stay in Tanzania, starting from only $14,990 USD I'd probably want to look into buying one... if only.
:whistle:
MarutiSuzuki.jpg
Suzuki "Gypsy"
P.S. I'm sure it will take a month of Sundays to catch up on a month of triplogs and photosets (hey, I've still got hiking to do here), so for the folks on HAZ drooling in anticipation, have patience, you won't be disappointed.
CannondaleKid

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 16 2015 8:33 am

Actually, this last time it wasn't really the car as much as it was some kid at the dealer lying to me.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Aug 16 2015 5:18 pm

I've had a rattle around my catalytic converter for a while, too. I'll have to look for rocks now.

Return to “General”