Apparel, sunglasses & umbrellas

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Non-cotton active sports shirts

Post by chumley » Feb 28 2013 6:14 pm

Different manufacturers have different names for their sports shirts. Most use similar technology to wick away moisture while still breathing well. They are often expensive, and once they've been used a few times, the stink will never wash out.

Which is why I'm posting that Old Navy has their own brand called Active something or another, and the shirts are normally $13, but currently on sale for $9.

For $9, why not get a few and just plan on getting rid of them when they get too ripe?

They come in an array of colors, including electric Bob. (http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=257068)

I have no affiliation with Old Navy nor the 8-year old Malaysian girls who make their clothes. Just thought I'd mention it cause I thought it was a good deal.
Profound observer

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Re: Non-cotton active sports shirts

Post by Hippy » Feb 28 2013 7:12 pm

Chumley the stink will wash out, soak the shirt in white vinegar for a few minutes, rinse it off then wash like normal, it shouldn't be "ripe" nor will it smell like vinegar (cuz I kniw that will be the first arguement) just try it or not, just a suggestion. :)

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 28 2013 7:32 pm

I have a bunch of the Old Navy ones because they are so cheap.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 28 2013 8:07 pm

funny how people who combat bad odors with vinegar are the only ones that don't think it makes everything stink like vinegar... :sl:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Feb 28 2013 10:50 pm

To each their own Bootsie, vinegar smell fades in minutes, stinky sweaty armpit odor lasts hours, days, or in Chumley's case it takes over clothing and ruins it. I rinse all my laundry with a splash of vinegar but it doesn't smell like it after going through the washer and drier. :)

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Mar 01 2013 8:22 am

Washing in the Tide Sport Laundry soap helps too.. My husbands running clothes don't smell afer washing anymore and boy are some of those ripe. We also get all kinds included in the races since now they hand out "technical fabric" shirts at all the races. But then we use our solar dryer never in a electric or gas dryer maybe that sets it in more.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

chumley

Post by chumley » Mar 01 2013 9:01 am

I dry all my laundry outside on a clothes line. I find that after washing them, they smell fine, but that once they get wet again, whether it be by sweat, or swimming or rain, the odors resurface quickly. It's as if the laundry only masks what is now embedded in the fabric, and it just takes a little moisture to activate it again.

It does take dozens of uses for them to get to that point, but in my experience, once it's there, they're done. That's why the $9 shirts appealed to me! I bought 4. :)
Profound observer

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 01 2013 1:12 pm

chumley wrote:I dry all my laundry outside on a clothes line. I find that after washing them, they smell fine, but that once they get wet again, whether it be by sweat, or swimming or rain, the odors resurface quickly. It's as if the laundry only masks what is now embedded in the fabric, and it just takes a little moisture to activate it again.

It does take dozens of uses for them to get to that point, but in my experience, once it's there, they're done. That's why the $9 shirts appealed to me! I bought 4. :)
you might want to see a doctor or something... my stuff is just fine after a good wash :sl:
--bill callahan

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Mar 01 2013 6:11 pm

Two words:

Baking soda
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 02 2013 6:41 am

I have yet to have a problem with stench clinging to a "sport-active shirt" that I own. I've had two now for years (bought them in 2008 or 2009). Yes, they still fit and no, they don't smell. They are my most common backpacking shirts and I haven't had one issue yet with them. I just bought a HAZ lime-green shirt and hopefully the same holds true for it.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

chumley

Post by chumley » Mar 02 2013 3:43 pm

I did some research on the trail today, and the conclusion drawn is simply that I stink. : rambo :
Profound observer

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Mar 02 2013 3:46 pm

...I wasn't going to say anything but... :sl:

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 04 2015 2:19 pm

FYI... Old Navy's holiday sale this weekend includes 50% off all their active sports t-shirts. You can get all your moisture wicking needs for like 8 bucks a pop. Its a pretty good deal for those of us that destroy those on the trail and get tired of forking out $20-$30 for shirts.
--bill callahan

chumley

Post by chumley » Sep 04 2015 2:24 pm

Not to mention the feel-good factor of helping out an entire village of Sri Lankan children who earn a weekly bowl of rice for making them! :-({|=
Profound observer

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 04 2015 2:30 pm

@chumley

they already made them... I wouldn't want them to go to waste.
--bill callahan

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Sep 04 2015 3:24 pm

@chumley
Versus no one buying them and an Entire Village of Sri Lankan Children goes without???? I suppose we could all buy at REI so an Entire Chinese Village's Children can have 1 Bowl of Rice while their Boss drives a Mercedes?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley

Post by chumley » Sep 04 2015 4:13 pm

Forgot the </sarcasm> tag. :oops:
Profound observer

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Sep 04 2015 4:47 pm

Well know I was at Wal-Mart the other day to pick up my new glasses and found two nice shirts for hiking at $5.00 each so I bought them. I won't buy any expense shirts that I will snag first time out.
Hey but the other day I was at Costco and they had some hiking shorts. the name of the company is Gerry. They have 2 cargo pockets that have zippers and they are gusseted uv 30 I think. And they are $14.95 each so I bought 4 pair.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 04 2015 4:54 pm

@Widowmaker
Gerry? I didn't realize they were still around. Backpacking gear, circa 60's and 70's, very well-known company back then.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Sep 04 2015 4:55 pm

@azbackpackr Check out their website.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Clothing”