Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

utah trip

Post by trekkin_gecko » Mar 27 2017 8:28 am

planning another trip to Utah in may
the main objective is for my friend sue and I to see capitol reef national park
also planning to hit https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1616 as recommended by @azwanderingbear and @lindaagm, and https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=11754 as mentioned by @kwaichang
would like to make a loop utilizing scenic route 12 through escalante, and return via hanksville and mexican hat
finding plenty of hiking for two days in capitol reef
what else along the way should we see? should have another three days at least
wade has mentioned kiva koffee and hell's backbone grill (breakfast and lunch are in my price range :sweat: )
would love to camp, but will likely stay in motels or cabins for logistical reasons
lodging, restaurant, gear and coffee shop recommendations appreciated
will have a rental car
thanks to all the experienced Utah hazzers in advance!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: utah trip

Post by chumley » Mar 27 2017 8:49 am

trekkin_gecko wrote:return via hanksville and mexican hat
@john9l recently stayed at Goosenecks State Park with high recommendations for it if a car-camp is necessary on the way to or from southern Utah. It's right outside of Mexican Hat.

If you prefer more of a dispersed thing, the Mexican Hat rock itself is on BLM land, and there are a handful of dirt roads just off the highway there that lead down to the San Juan. I've happily camped right here before: https://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=6129

https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=505785
https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=505786

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Mar 27 2017 9:39 am

I really enjoyed Natural Bridges NM. There is a loop hike that goes by all 3 bridges in a few hours, and it shouldn't be too warm in May (early May would be better than late--but that's true for almost anywhere in southern Utah).
https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1313

Iirc, there is a small and quiet campground in the monument. If you can't get a spot there, there are places to camp along the dirt roads that head north towards Bears Ears from 275, which is the entrance road to the park.

trekkin_gecko

Post by trekkin_gecko » Mar 27 2017 1:04 pm

@chumley
thanks for the map and the ideas
definitely a possibility

@flagscott
we visited NBNM last april
didn't do the loop hike, but hiked to all three bridges https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=40109
well worth stopping there
forgot about the campground - another idea, thanks

it would be nice to know how available campsites are

maryl
City, State: Chandler,az

Post by maryl » Mar 29 2017 8:43 pm

I hiked the escalante river in October. The town is a very friendly. We stayed in small cabins on the outskirts of town before our hike. Super friendly. Stopped at the Kiva Kofee before heading out to backpack. If your looking for a good overnighter hike the river . Real pretty!

maryl
City, State: Chandler,az

Post by maryl » Mar 29 2017 8:49 pm

Call utahcanyons in Escalante. Jim and his wife were super helpful and gave us some great tips on where to hike and stay .

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 31 2017 8:32 am

@maryl
Did you find out how the locals pronounce "Escalante"? My son lived in Boulder, UT for some time, and was telling me some of the local pronunciations of town names, which are not what you'd expect. Escalante is "EscaLANT." Hurricane is "Herkin."
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

KwaiChang
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Mar 31 2017 8:27 pm

Wow - not gonna check out Arches huh? :D I would - but thats me.....

There was a teeny tiny town called Green River - we stayed there 1 nite and visited a place called Rays Tavern - had the best and I mean ABSOLUTE best ribeye steak dinner I ever ate in my entire life - it was fresh from a place right up the road so the story went - my buddy and I tried it and JUST AWESOME. We stayed in a motel - can not for the life of me remember which one it was. Now the reason I bring up Green River is that we used it as a base place before hiking Little Wild Horse Slot Canyon. Since you read my trip log I HIGHLY reccommend bypassing the dryfall at the beginning of the hike. :scared: If you were to camp I saw some SICK camping sites just prior to getting to LWHC and past Goblin Valley on 1013 Wild Horse road - there were some nice sites there. :M2C:

The main take away I had from Utah and we spent a fair amount of time there was absolute beautiful state and NO ONE lives there!!!! Green River was an excellent example - small tiny town we asked at the desk where to eat and Rays was suggested first. If I was EVER to go back to Utah and hike LWHC and Arches again - I would stay in Green River and head back to Rays again.

Also I would drive - obviously depending on your destinations and what not but I would DEF drive the route 12 to 24 to 72 to 70 route - it was WILD!!!!! Need to be either leaving Bryce going to LWHC or the other way which would be 70 to 72 to 24 to 12. The craziest drive I ever done in my life! Elevation and driving on knife edge ridges!!! :o :scared: :o WAY COOL.

Have a AWESOME time!!! :y:
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

trekkin_gecko

Post by trekkin_gecko » Apr 01 2017 4:29 pm

@KwaiChang
visited arches and canyonlands last april, zion and bryce in 2009
haven't been to capitol reef yet
will go to all of the other four again sometime but want to see new stuff this trip
probably won't make it up to little wild horse this time; doing more in the escalante area
thanks for your input - utah is indeed a beautiful place
probably not done exploring it yet :)

Paintninaz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Paintninaz » Apr 01 2017 5:02 pm

Trishness and I stayed in a great little BnB in (or very near) Escalante, and did some day hikes from there. Escalante River, and Lower Calf Falls, and also over to the Peek-a-Boo slot canyons in the Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch. I don't remember the name of the places we stayed, Trishness did all the arrangements for the trip, I just tagged along. ;-)
Paintninaz

trekkin_gecko

Post by trekkin_gecko » Apr 01 2017 5:09 pm

@Paintninaz
all of those are on the agenda - good to know you enjoyed them
@maryl
I had found this website, but thanks for the tip

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Apr 01 2017 6:22 pm

Kelly, I PM'd you
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Apr 01 2017 8:54 pm

Upper Calf Creek falls is not as spectacular but a nice area and not as many people , then some scrambling downstream to get above the larger falls.
Hall Creek Narrows are incredible for water wading slots and big sandstone walls. ( Capitol Reef) kinda remote area.
Upper Muley Twist is my favorite short day hike for that area, great views of the Henry mtns and along the Waterpocket fold ( Capitol Reef)
The Boulder Mail trail is done as a backpack by some but could be a long dayhike by a fit hiker, you'll need a shuttle which can be arranged in Escalante. Great views of Death Hollow and some unparalleled slickrock hiking.
Hike along the Escalante River and into lower Death Hollow. Sandstone and water paradise ( watch out for poison ivy in Death Hollow!).
Multiple short outings off Hole in the Rock road out of Escalante, be prepared for lots of company at some of the more popular spots.
Bell and LIttle Wild Horse are fun but may be busy. The canyons on the back side of the Reef may be a little less so. However the road back there is rougher so probably no go if in a rental car.

trekkin_gecko

Post by trekkin_gecko » Apr 02 2017 8:00 am

@Trishness
thank you for your thoughts and confirmations
both you and pam mentioned the road to the slots near escalante; leaning toward renting an SUV

@RedRoxx44
thanks for the suggestions
you always have good stuff off the beaten path
might not make it up to bell and little wild horse this time

now leaning toward taking cottonwood canyon road toward escalante, two nights in escalante
two nights in torrey, taking in the park
return via 12 and 89
have found plenty of hiking, two good coffee shops, a gear shop, cheap lodging in those little cabins
all of y'all's suggestion mean I will no doubt make another trip or two up that way!
still have a few weeks to fine tune the details

Return to “Looking for a Hike”