All posts must be respectful

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Two missing, swept down Tapeats Creek

Post by rcorfman » Apr 17 2017 2:21 pm

I hope these aren't fatalities but two hikers are missing after attempting to cross Tapeats Creek near the Upper Tapeats campground.

http://www.12news.com/news/local/arizon ... /431769676
Go find a LonelyCache

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Two missing, swept down Tapeats Creek

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 17 2017 5:29 pm

That was reported as happening on Saturday, and I haven't heard anything new yet from the Park. It doesn't sound good. I imagine we will hear more tomorrow or Wednesday.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 17 2017 6:07 pm

One of the people swept away (the grandmother) is Lou-Ann Merrell, wife of Randy Merrell, of Merrell boots and shoes. Randy Merrell and his daughter (mom of the 14-year-old boy) are the other two hikers. I can only imagine the feelings of horror and helplessness.
( dead link removed )
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 17 2017 8:25 pm

My wife and I met LuAnn and Randy last summer and have plans to visit Randy in his shop later this summer. Sad.... :(
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Apr 28 2017 5:13 pm

Sadly, the body of a 14-year-old boy who went missing nearly two weeks ago after he was swept down a remote creek near the Grand Canyon was found today, park officials said.

The body of Jackson Standefer was found on the Colorado River by park rangers.

Standefer went missing on April 15. He went missing along with his step-grandmother, Lou-Ann Merrell, after they lost their footing as they crossed Tapeats Creek and fell into the water, before being swept away by the current.

The 62-year-old Merrell, wife of Randy Merrell, who helped found the Merrell Boot Co. in 1981, is still missing.

( dead link removed )
kurt

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 29 2017 6:00 am

@hikeaz
Inaccurate story. He was found by folks on a commercial river trip. Anyway, very sad, but some closure for the family. Here's the GRCA press release:

https://home.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/re ... -river.htm

River Mile 152 is downriver from Matkat, (Matkatamiba Canyon) and about 4 miles upriver from the mouth of Havasu Creek. The mouth of Tapeats Creek is at River Mile 133.4. So therefore, the finding (at Mile 152) was about 18 miles downriver from the mouth of Tapeats Creek, and just below Sinyala Rapid, if the story is correct.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Apr 29 2017 5:59 pm

azbackpackr wrote:@hikeaz
Inaccurate story.
Take it up with these folks (below links)...

For the sake of this subject the data is generally accurate - Try to avoid getting lost in the minutia.

As a 7-time GC river runner I understand the geography -

Which river mile, above/below which side canyon - again just minutia.

I merely hope/pray that the young lad did not suffer much on his final journey - in his photos he looks like a happy, intrepid young man. R.I.P.

https://www.grandcanyonnews.com/news/20 ... ado-river/

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/bod ... lorado.htm
kurt

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 30 2017 5:35 am

Just inaccurate as far as who first found the poor kid. Anyway, the rest of the info was for the general readers. The fact it was 18 miles downstream might be of interest to some, might be surprising to some people.

I wouldn't have wanted to be on that river crew. The backcountry rangers and SAR and helicopter crews at Grand Canyon: They are pretty amazing--what they do, how they do it--I appreciate their work. It must be very tough at times.

I share your sympathies, but I'm never good at expressing that kind of sentiment.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 01 2017 9:00 pm

azbackpackr wrote:The fact it was 18 miles downstream might be of interest to some, might be surprising to some people.
I must say, the first thing I wondered when I heard the report on the radio was how far downstream it was. I wasn't surprised that they didn't say.

Return to “Grand Canyon Fatalities”