Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SkyIslandHiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

2002 Rodeo-Chediski Fire aka "The Monster"

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jun 18 2017 6:46 pm

A look back at the Rodeo-Chediski Fire in this weekend's White Mountain Independent:

http://www.wmicentral....

An interesting tidbit from the article:
“The one thing that’s interesting … when you look at the Rodeo-Chediski Fire and the Wallow Fire — the Wallow Fire ended up a little more than half a million acres and took it something like six weeks,” Leech said. “The Rodeo-Chediski Fire wound up a little under half a million acres — 470,000 — and it did that in six days.
I wonder how much of the $85 Million in restitution was ever paid by the perpetrators ?

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: 2002 Rodeo-Chediski Fire aka "The Monster"

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 19 2017 4:33 am

@SkyIslandHiker
I was living in Eagar at the time they told 30,000 people to evacuate to Round Valley, (Springerville and Eagar). The article says "Springerville," but the actual evacuation was to the giant Dome football stadium in Eagar. I don't know if 30,000 people came but there sure were a lot of folks. They were camping everywhere, in tents and RVs, along the streets. Their livestock was tied up to street signs and fences all over town. And of course, people took them in as well. They were there for at least a week or more.

On June 25th, my daughter's 17th birthday, we took time off work and school because President Bush was going to visit. This marked the first time a sitting president had ever visited Springerville/Eagar. We stood by the high school and watched the motorcade arrive, and talked to the Secret Service agents. There were snipers stationed on the top of the high school buildings. The SUV that "W" was riding in had heavily tinted windows, so all I saw of the President was his hand, waving at us. Rose said she saw his face, but I didn't. Only time I've ever seen a president, and all I saw was his hand!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

JasonCleghorn
Pop Tart Warrior
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JasonCleghorn » Jun 19 2017 11:40 am

I shook Bill Clinton's hand at Ft. Benning. He's a big dude, or was then.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

SkyIslandHiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jul 07 2017 5:58 pm

I was perusing "Catastrophe: A Forest in Flames" which was recently published by the White Mountain Independent and Payson Roundup newspapers. One stat that jumped out at me is in bold type below:
We should have understood everything when in 1992 the Dude Fire burned 24,000 acres, killed six firefighters and taught horrified fire commanders that a wildfire can create it’s own weather. The fire in the hottest, driest month of the year on the face of the Mogollon Rim built a pillar of flame and smoke 30,000 feet high. When the top of that column froze in the high, cold air, the pillar collapsed – blowtorching flames 1,000 feet in every direction. The flames rushed down the canyon faster than an Olympic sprinter could run and incinerated a crew of firefighters clinging desperately to their frail fire shelters against the hurricane winds.

Back then, the Dude Fire’s 24,000 acres ranked as the largest fire in recorded history. Imagine that: 24,000 – the worst fire ever. Now, 20 years later – it’s not in the top 10, save for the loss of life.
I'm assuming they mean the largest fire in Arizona history, but still! Right now there are four active wildfires in Arizona that exceed the Dude Fire's acreage according to InciWeb.

You can read all 8 chapters, mostly about the Rodeo-Chediski Fire, here:
https://spark.adobe.co...

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”