Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Camping near greasy spoon in sedona

Post by Thoreau » Oct 06 2017 7:32 am

I was hoping to head north for a bit this weekend and get some time in on the mountain bike, as well as car camp. Anyone aware of decent car camping options around the greasy spoon area? I wanna hit up the trail system (attached screenshot) so proximity to those trails is strongly desired.

4wd not an issue either if needed.

First pick woulda been schultz creek up in flag, but damn its cold at night. =(
Attachments
Screenshot_20171006-072747.png

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Re: Camping near greasy spoon in sedona

Post by nonot » Oct 06 2017 11:52 am

head west young man - to forest road 525
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

LoLo
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Durango, CO

Post by LoLo » Oct 07 2017 12:12 pm

@Thoreau there is no legal camping outside of designated campgrounds in the Sedona area. You would have to, like the other member noted, head toward Cottonwood to the 525 road. It's just an okay forest road to camp in a dispersed area, nothing special. Otherwise, you would have to pay at a campground. From out by Doe Mt, it's only a 10 to 20 minute drive to decent dispersed camping. You don't need four-wheel-drive at all.

LoLo
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Durango, CO

Post by LoLo » Oct 07 2017 12:13 pm

Also, the 525C offers a little more privacy and less traffic.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Oct 07 2017 1:30 pm

If you head west from the Doe Mtn area, I would recommend high clearance, though 4WD not needed, the road deteriorates quite badly in areas once you leave the pavement.
LoLo wrote:@Thoreau there is no legal camping outside of designated campgrounds in the Sedona area. You would have to, like the other member noted, head toward Cottonwood to the 525 road. It's just an okay forest road to camp in a dispersed area, nothing special. Otherwise, you would have to pay at a campground. From out by Doe Mt, it's only a 10 to 20 minute drive to decent dispersed camping. You don't need four-wheel-drive at all.

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Oct 07 2017 1:33 pm

Chavez Crossing Campground is right in the middle of town as well, I would imagine you can reserve a campsite through recreation.gov, but I didn't check.

Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Oct 07 2017 9:43 pm

@Thoreau
Schnebly Hill east of Schnebly Hill Vista a mile or two? is dispersed camping I believe. Then you could ride down the hill and ride some trails off Schnebly or ride towards oak creek village and ride some of the trails over that way. Those trails our out of my league but it looks like fun for you real mountain bikers and the views....
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Oct 10 2017 10:39 am

South of Sedona : FR121, FR689, FR214, FR215, FR618 more than 1 mile south of Beaver Creek Campground.
All have designated dispersed camping corridors. Bruce Brockett Trailhead from FR618 is a short connector to Bell #13, White Mesa #86 , Weir #85, or Apache Maid #15 Trails.

East of Sedona
(Weather/road closures permitting)
Schnebly Hill Road (FR153) East of the Schnebly Hill Vista is a designated camping corridor.
Look for the “Camping Permitted” sign.

West of Sedona: Travel 3 miles west of Lower Red Rock loop Road on Hwy 89A to Forest Road 525. A designated camping corridor starts approximately 2 mi N. of 89A on FR525 and ends at Boynton Pass Rd (FR152C). All of FR525C is a designated camping corridor.

And >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCvIE7-UW7A & http://preview.alturl.com/gukxs
kurt

Return to “Bike, Camp, Climb, Kayak & etc”