Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
amanda_in_wanderland
City, State: Three Rivers, CA

Possible AZT thru-hike in Spring 2019

Post by amanda_in_wanderland » Aug 18 2018 9:51 am

I am considering a thru-hike of the AZT in the spring of next year. Is anyone else considering this? Would you like to chat further? I have hiked and backpacked a fair amount, but I have never done a thru-hike and would prefer to go with a partner or at least just have someone to brainstorm with. Thanks.

garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Possible AZT thru-hike in Spring 2019

Post by garyc57 » Aug 21 2018 12:35 pm

@amanda_in_wanderland
I'd suggest you do your brainstorming here. Most members here have at least two brain cells, and we're a friendly bunch. Ask your questions. Even the dumb ones*.

I'll start with answering one that seems to be very popular - When should I start my hike? That all depends on the winter. If we have a dry warm winter, you can start in late January/early February. If we get a wet cold winter, better plan on mid-March.

Looking forward to your questions (and all the answers),
Gary

* "There are no dumb questions." Besides, I'm sure there are many many others who have the same questions!

no avatar
amanda_in_wanderland
City, State: Three Rivers, CA

Post by amanda_in_wanderland » Aug 21 2018 1:33 pm

I appreciate your response! I have the AZT guidebook (and I've read through it!), I guess I am currently just looking for anyone who may be interested in thru-hiking this spring. I know I should expect loneliness, but I thought I would just try to see if anyone out there has interest, and if maybe our shared interest could help us actually take the leap.

Obviously my biggest concern is water. I have hiked/backpacked on short trips in both the Mojave and Great Basin deserts, so I'm used to heat and elevation. I have read of hikers who carry a small amount, just enough to get them to their next source so that they can hike light and fast. But I'm a drinker (water, that is!) and I'm not sure that could be my style. I guess the water ordeal is why I have opted to consider a spring start instead of autumn. I have downloaded the Guthook app as well. Thanks for the tip about wet/dry winters. I may have a chance to hike with a friend in mid-end of February for a few sections, but I thought that would be too early to start. We will just have to see what this winter brings!

I'll get back to this when I have more questions! Thank you:)

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 22 2018 6:25 am

@amanda_in_wanderland
Seems to me the trail becomes more popular every year, and you probably can just start hiking and you'll run across others. Plus as time gets closer, many people will start posting their intentions.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

no avatar
MattaBhikes
City, State: Payson

Post by MattaBhikes » Oct 11 2018 11:51 pm

I am also looking to thru hike around that time and would like to talk about this, mostly resupply points and such

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Oct 18 2018 11:12 am

@amanda_in_wanderland
My partner and I will be thru-hike the AZT starting early March or very late February.

Hiking something this big with a stranger might be difficult as your hiking styles might be very different. I recommend hiking and backpacking with someone many times beforehand to see if they're a good partner for you.
800 miles is a long time to not be in sync with your companion.
My partner and I will be going South to North.
Check out the Arizona Trail App if you haven't already, I don't foresee myself using it because I'm so use to offtrail now and...well the AZT is a Trail...*shrug* but the app lists water sources, food resupply, side hikes, places of interest etc. Make sure you visit Kearney!

Resupply caches are not generally necessary, you should hike through a town to resupply once a week or so.
With the snow we've gotten so far this Fall I personally am not too worried about water. I will hike with a 4 liters between water stops. But that amount accounts for my desire to have tea every morning :lol:

I'll be wandering down from my Grand Canyon Haven for the winter and training on peaks around Phoenix, if you'd like to hike together this winter I'd gladly meet up. Just let me know
Last edited by Hippy on Oct 18 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

edog1955
City, State: Saint Helena, CA

Post by edog1955 » Oct 22 2018 6:32 pm

I am planning a NOBO thru-hike starting March 3, 2019.. I will fly into Phoenix from the SF Bay area on March 3rd [arriving 2:00pm] and find a shuttle/carpool to the trailhead.
Very interested in sharing the cost of that transportation!
I have cycled extensively around the world and guided raft/canoe trips in the US for years, but have only done a couple backpacking trips.
This trip will be a warm up for a return to the Camino de Santiago in May, 2019, which my wife and I cycled in May, 2018.
Last edited by edog1955 on Nov 19 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
hepatica
City, State: Simsbury, CT

Post by hepatica » Nov 19 2018 7:39 am

I am starting NOBO on Mar. 8. I only have a couple of weeks to hike so I will be doing the first 200-300 miles. I have lots of backpacking experience on the east coast, but this will be my first time in Arizona.
Jess

edog1955

Post by edog1955 » Nov 19 2018 12:25 pm

Hey, Jess....if you're fast, you'll see me! Have a great journey!
Evan

edog1955

Post by edog1955 » Nov 19 2018 12:30 pm

Hippy wrote: I don't foresee myself using it because I'm so use to offtrail now and...well the AZT is a Trail...
Response: I understand that the Southern area is a network of trails because of undocumented people streaming up from the border and going different directions like fan--thereby confusing those wishing to stay on THE AZT.
Some hikers have gone off-course even with the app.

Evan

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 19 2018 2:11 pm

@edog1955
The whole immigrant thing is way overblown. Very few people report seening any. The trail is pretty well defined, but it's 800 miles in diverse terrain, you will likely get off trail occasionally.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 19 2018 2:29 pm

People tend to prefer trails, regardless of their country of citizenship.

Cattle on the other hand... dumber than a box of rocks, and the primary creators of networks of non-trails leading to all the wrong places!

But if you pay attention, it usually doesn't take more than a minute or two for you to realize if you're chasing beef.
Profound observer

edog1955

Post by edog1955 » Nov 19 2018 3:16 pm

@chumley
Thanks for the responses.....makes sense. My wife is from Mexico. She would have ridden her mountain bike up, but she met me on the Colorado River 11 years ago and we lassoed each other into wedded bliss.
”chasing beef” made me laugh!

garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 » Nov 19 2018 4:07 pm

chumley wrote:...and the primary creators of networks of non-trails leading to all the wrong places!
](*,) On the north side of the East Verde River, just past the LF Ranch - cow trails EVERYWHERE! Grrrrr!

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 19 2018 5:54 pm

edog1955 wrote:Response: I understand that the Southern area is a network of trails because of undocumented people streaming up from the border and going different directions like fan--thereby confusing those wishing to stay on THE AZT.
Some hikers have gone off-course even with the app.
Sounds like excuses for poor route finding skills to me. 🤔😉
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

Post by Trew » Nov 19 2018 7:53 pm

About this time of year, every year, I start thinking Trail, somewhere, anywhere.

I am slow, like to hike late into the day and take my time getting up, and take breaks along the way. Somedays I go faster- but I am always slow going up. In the morning if I am on the trail between 8- 9 am, that's a good start for me. And hiking until the last 45 min of daylite is nice.

Hiking with a partner is nice, but hiking styles are so hard to match I have about given up trying to find a trail mate. I am 70 in December, fully retired, so I have the time.

And though I wonder if I will hike again, I have been thinking about a mid-Feb start nobo hoping to make it to Picketpost TH. There are parts of this section of the AZT that are worth doing more than once.

Zski
City, State: Concord, NH

Post by Zski » Nov 24 2018 3:09 pm

@amanda_in_wanderland
Hey, Amanda! I am planning a hike NOBO starting the week of Mar 3. Like you, I've done a ton of hiking and some backpacking, but never a thru hike. Sadly I can only be out there about 2 weeks, so I am planning on completing the southern part of the route. Just thinking now about planning, making an Excel sheet, etc.

Sue in NH

Zski
City, State: Concord, NH

Post by Zski » Nov 24 2018 3:11 pm

@hepatica
Sounds like we are in the same experience boat - I will be about a week behind you!

Sue in NH

edog1955

Post by edog1955 » Nov 24 2018 5:00 pm

@Zski
Again, I’ll be landing in Phoenix at 2:00pm on March 3rd. Would love to share expenses to arrive at the trailhead that afternoon!

no avatar
Yappy
City, State: Curlew

Post by Yappy » Jan 12 2019 8:06 am

Hi I'm looking at a late Feb start if u want to chat 🙂

Return to “AZT Hiking”