Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ASUAviator
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What do you do for a living??

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 15 2013 5:41 pm

I couldnt help but wonder what everyone does for a living. It seems like some of go out every other day and I get envious of whatever job it is you have. lol. If youre retired, props to you. Can't wait for my day :oplz:

Im currently a grade checker for a construction company moving dirt mon-fri. The career goal is to hopefully become an air traffic controller. Its a long process but im on my way.

So what do you do?
Last edited by ASUAviator on Aug 05 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Re: What do you do for a living??

Post by MtnBart01 » Oct 30 2018 8:28 pm

I do the same thing in a different place closer to home helping people instead of putting fuel in your gas tanks. I still get paid to sleep and walk laps. After all they say EMS stands for Earn Money Sleeping, but the mission is more rewarding and I get to see the kids more often. My preference is not to run into any of you during my shift because that means your probably having a really bad day.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

The_Dude
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by The_Dude » Oct 31 2018 9:15 am

I am still working at the same nursery that I have been with since 2001, but I did change jobs last year. I traded in the white collar shirt of my former sales position to put on a western-esque shirt (from Savers) and be the head propagator for our nursery. Nothing quite as great as taking a pay cut to take your dream job. But hey, I get to start all the plants that we grow (like 3 million a year) and also get to do all the R and D work. So much happier with getting to do science and research instead of being a sales guy. Not to mention that now I am passably bilingual too. :y:

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Oct 31 2018 9:09 pm

I was a sales guy selling software and direct mail when I first landed on HAZ 6 years ago. Now have done a full 180 and am a manager/HR person for a company that provides care taking services to individuals with developmental disabilities. Huge cut in pay, but much more fulfilling than selling stuff to people that don't want to buy.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Merianne
City, State: Tucson

Post by Merianne » Oct 31 2018 9:41 pm

@MtnBart01
No kidding. I just had a patient who got lost hiking the trails in my area. Acute kidney injury from overexertion, not to mention lots of cacti pokies🌵

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Nov 01 2018 9:25 am

While I thought that I had the best job situation five years ago when this was first posted, working for the Arizona Trail Association and Arizona River Runners, my job now is better than I ever could have imagined. I started a consulting company, Trails Inspire, and am now my own boss! My company promotes the outdoors via writing, photography, public speaking and events and I also do trail design and development. It's a dream come true, I've been able to partner with organizations such as the Arizona Office of Tourism, REI, Pima County, Partnership for the National Trails System and many more. I now travel and hike for work not only around the state but also around the country.

My company's big project is a trail system for the town of Tusayan, I did the development of the Master Plan last year and now we're in the environmental survey phase. I also work as a subcontractor to design trails for other firms.

The most exciting news is I'm currently writing my first book for Wilderness Press, Day Hikes on the Arizona National Scenic Trail, coming out in Spring 2020. It's going to have about 25 of the best pieces of the trail with lots of interpretive information about what you'll see along the way and tips and tricks for desert hiking. It's been a blast doing the research and revisiting the AZT after all these years!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 04 2018 10:58 am

If all goes well I will be retired by Nov 1, 2019. Then look out!! Actually I plan to join the local historical society, and take some community college classes on Archeology and Geology so I can be a little more cognizant of my surroundings. But not if it interferes with the hiking! And, I would like to take some photography classes mainly on night/ star shooting and get better with my equipment.
Last edited by RedRoxx44 on Nov 04 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 04 2018 12:02 pm

RedRoxx44 wrote:If all goes well I will be retired by Nov 1, 2019
Good luck! I keep postponing it, but ought to stop working while I'm still (mostly) capable of doing whatever I please.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”