Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2018 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 16 2017 6:26 pm

Hey Fellow Hazers. Todd reminded me I need to get our 2018 thread out there. Please let us know how you did and what's up for 2018. Love reading all about it. Triplogs say there was some awesome trips this year. From the PCT, CT, Kilimanjaro, Tetons, and Glacier and of course all the cool Arizona stuff. The AZT crew have been awesome with trail clearing, new signage and the gnarly gates. Now a bridge over the East Verde, Bravo!
As for myself, I would gladly give all my hikes back if I could take Joe's fall back. Worst hiking day ever for me. A big thanks to a fellow hiker,Bruce, rescue team, pilots,Dr's Nurses, PT people and all who did such an amazing job. Joe's hard work at recovery and a mindset that is unbelievable. Still some challenges but his legs, and wit seem to be back at full force. So glad he is back doing what he loves, running HAZ and hiking!
I didn't finish my Boots and Burgers hikes or the 60 hikes book but am closer thanks to those that helped get me to trailheads. Wally helped me hit some Eastern Supes stuff too! Very cool areas. Kelly led the way to my first Yosemite trip and what a blast! LP couldn't make it. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hope he is out hiking with us soon. Got one more section of the Tonto done thanks to Wally Joe and Dave.Hikes with my son and Grandkids are always a treat as well. Lots of fun hikes with Hazers and still managed 900 hiking miles and a few thousand bike miles. No big mileage or aeg goals. Maybe finish the hikes in those two books and do another Yosemite trip. Not sure if I'll make it in the Canyon. The climb out is getting harder.
Well I hope you all had a great 2017 and have an awesome 2018.Safety First!! God Bless and Happy hiking. :y:
Last edited by Tortoise_Hiker on Dec 18 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Re: 2018 Hazolutions

Post by gummo » Dec 13 2018 2:18 pm

I know 2018 isn't over yet, but here's my update on my 2018 Hazolutions so far.

2018 Hazolutions:

1. Photograph a mountain lion (nope, but I photos plenty of African lions :DANCE: I'll be going to Sabino Canyon this weekend, so there's hope).

2. Photograph a green ratsnake (nope)

3. 500+ snakes (nope, I only saw 208 snakes)

4. Hike Mt. Wrighton in December, January, or February shirtless. (done in December).

5. Travel somewhere internationally. (Done, and I'm returning to Uganda in January :D).

6. Get my resting heart rate below 60. Currently at 70. (Done)

7. Photograph a Hopi rattlesnake (nope, too dry this year)

8. Explore Bonita Creek and areas around Safford. (nope)

9. Lose 10-lbs. (I actually gained 10 lbs).

10. Hike Aravaipa Canyon (nope).

Year's accomplishments:
1. Saw 4 bobcats this year
2. Hiked in near freezing temps shirtless at Mt. Wrightson and Six Shooter Canyon without too much discomfort or dying.
3. Found 3 coral snakes and 98 diamondbacks this year.
4. Went on safari in Uganda and Kenya and met some incredible people there.
5. Saw a lot of new species being overseas, with a few new species here.
Last edited by gummo on Dec 13 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 13 2018 9:01 pm

gummo wrote:6. Get my resting heart rate below 60. Currently at 70. (Done)
Is that the new math... 70 is lower than 60? :-k
Or... did you get it below 60 but it's back up to 70? :doh:
CannondaleKid

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 13 2018 9:06 pm

@CannondaleKid
No, my heart rate was currently at 70. I wanted it under 60. It is now under 60 at rest.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 13 2018 9:11 pm

@gummo
Got it... the #6 statement was at the beginning of the year... :doh:
CannondaleKid

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 14 2018 4:17 am

I did pretty well in 2018 with my bucket list. 2019 will carry over some, go back to some, and plan some new.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2018 6:48 am

I worked all the time, but at least I got one bucket list thing done: Paddled my sea kayak in one continuous epic trip from Hoover Dam to the Mexican border (340 miles). (Yes, of course, had someone to shuttle us around 5 dams.) At some point I will post a trip log and photos.

Otherwise, meh. Worked a LOT. Went to Grand Canyon a LOT but it was for my job. One backpacking trip in Grand Canyon, one in the Sierras and one to Aravaipa. Two paddle trips at Lake Powell totaling 10 days and 90 miles, which included some hiking. One very short bicycle tour. Lots of little day trips on foot, by bike and kayak. Only touched four states: Utah, Nevada, California and Arizona.

Edit: Oh! I did go to Minnesota and Wisconsin for the first time, paddled on the Mississippi River, and visited the Spam Museum!
Last edited by azbackpackr on Dec 14 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 15 2018 7:47 pm

Hmmm, I failed to get to those new locations I wanted to go to, and did fall back on the Peaks, but I was happy when I did. I didn't do a lot more shirtless, just a lot of repetition there. I moved, so I guess that was good.

I'm making strides in minimizing my data impact. I'm hiding workout logs now, and I want to work on posting fewer photos. It will be hard for me to hold to it, and maybe I will refine this in a 2019 HAZolutions post, but I would like to limit my public logs further, and I want to start to limit my pictures. With perhaps the exception of an area rarely visited or a new description, I want to start to post 15 images or less, and put more emphasis on quality. That is really hard for me, as I just point and shoot, and most get posted. Overall, if there are already a lot of sets in an area, I would like to avoid posting.
Last edited by Jim_H on Dec 15 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocks!!

Return to “General”