Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2019 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 30 2018 12:46 pm

Hello Hazers!
Another year coming to and end. I would love to read how all you fellow hazers feel about your 2018 and what Hazolutions you have for 2019. I was blessed with another grandchild. Maverick. It might be a few years before I'm trusted to get him out on trail :o . I finished the hikes in the Boots and Burgers book which was fun. It took me up to Northern Arizona for a couple fun trips. I still need to work on the 60 hikes book. I got to do another Yosemite trip with John and Kelly which was fun as well. Lots of fun little hikes with the grandkids and a few with my son. He seems to have his hands full this year :D . My normal hikes have gotten a lot shorter and not enough hikes with other Hazers. The ones we did get in were a hoot none the less. Next year I would like to stay healthy and for all of you to do the same!! Maybe get a ride to a few trailheads to finish the 60 hikes book :) . No real mileage or aeg goals. Hopefully get to hike with hazers a little more often. Shout out to all those that help with the AZT. Great job! I Hope all you Hazers had a great year and have an even better 2019! Happy New Year and please practice safety first! Remember like HAZ :yr:
Last edited by Tortoise_Hiker on Dec 30 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 2019 Hazolutions

Post by Jim_H » Dec 30 2018 6:50 pm

Do more interesting hikes. Post fewer, but better photos, if I can do that, and of interesting hikes. Stay in shape on Piestewa. Explore and add in South Mountain hikes since I live down near there. Hopefully my tennis elbow goes away so I can return to the gym, which has no effect on hiking. Buy a new pair of hiking sneakers, since mine are pretty old. Maybe that one isn't a hazolution?

Perhaps set out to new areas on the Arizona map, add in some new places I have never been. Probably won't touch the North Rim, Arizona Strip, or NW Arizona or Mohave County, but most don't. I'd like to do something on the Plateau and Navajo Reservation, maybe that canyon hike people like, with the blue water that isn't Havasupai. Maybe take in the few hikes I have wanted to do for a few years now, but never seem to do. Explore the Mohawk Dunes, and some new Kofa Summits, and yes, leave the state to do some things, too. Don't care if I hike in snow, or summit Humphrey in it, but I'll probably do that at least a few times this year in shorts.

Really, I just have some vague ideas and desires to throw open a proverbial map and go somewhere fun.
:o

rayhuston
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rayhuston » Dec 30 2018 8:42 pm

Although I rarely mention them out loud, they’re usually the same: lose 20 pounds and stay healthy. A third would be to hike 1,000 miles.
The healthy part has been inconsistent the last three years and losing that 20 pounds has always been elusive. Getting 1,000 miles will require planning.
This year I’m writing them down instead of just thinking about them. Maybe that will help.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 30 2018 9:45 pm

I'm in on a fantastic GC permit this year: Tanner/Beamer to the confluence and back on the Escalante Route. My goal is to get through the exposure without disaster or freaking out. Hopefully scrambling up to all those ruins has built up my nerve.
Last edited by big_load on Dec 30 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Green Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 30 2018 10:23 pm

Cutting back on photo sets.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 31 2018 6:10 am

Continue to try to keep in shape, and really try to be a kinder, better person than I have been in the past. Enjoy all my hikes, backpacks, be they little or grand. Return to old haunts, put some footprints in new territory. Prepare for my upcoming being put out to pasture, so to speak. Enjoy the wisdom of my 95 yo mother. Be thankful for my situation in life, my experiences, and my personal growth, of which the outdoors has a lot to do with. We live in a great country and a great state, no matter all the craziness and problems. Hopefully to never be so jaded that I don't seek out the light, pick up the camera, and watch the glow of sunset, look at the stars, or see the colors change with the sun's rise.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 31 2018 8:40 am

Right now my resolution is to never take good health for granted ever again. After my GC trip in late October I was in great shape after a week or so lay off. Was able to snag a Strava KOM on my local training climb the first week of November, then did a short race on Thanksgiving where I felt pretty strong. Had all these plans about focusing on trail running races for the winter & spring along with hitting all of the desert peaks within 30 minutes of my new house. Combined with the workouts I was doing with weights & pull up bars at home I felt 20+ years younger.

Fast forward to today and I'm going into week number five of dealing with a particularly bad case of pneumonia that came out of nowhere. Simply walking my dogs a few blocks is exhausting, so I can't even do that right now. Very humbling experience.

My biggest goal right now is that I recover soon enough to begin prepping for my annual Grand Canyon trip in October. I will be starting from ground zero and it doesn't look like I can hike or run for at least another month or two. My lungs still have a bunch of garbage in them. Go back for another chest x-ray later this week to assess the damage.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

tibber

Post by tibber » Dec 31 2018 9:04 am

@SpiderLegs geez, I hope your illness gets resolved sooner than later. It sure has been hard on you. Glad you were able to get in some good stuff for the year though.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Dec 31 2018 2:08 pm

Do a hike with Denny before December.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 01 2019 6:27 am

2018 was special because of a new summer job, driving a bus down Diamond Creek Road, that's kind of fun. Also took a trip to Minnesota and Wisconsin which included paddling on the Mississippi. Did my first solo short backpacking trip in the Sierras. The big Kahuna was a 340-mile 17-day kayak trip down the Colorado River, from Hoover Dam to the Mexican border, in November. I did a lot of day-hiking around Flag, a lot of paddling and some cycling. One backpacking trip in GC, and one to Aravaipa. So, very little backpacking. One overnight dirt road bike trip using my new BOB trailer.

For 2019: I'm going on a "Gems" backpack, late March, 6 days, South Bass to Hermit's Rest. Since I have been riding my bike almost every day lately, and NOT hiking, I need to switch to doing some hiking and backpacking to prepare for it. Probably a couple of river trips: that's no surprise to anyone. It may surprise you if I post some hikes in Japan, though. However, I am not sure I am going there this year or next year. Things are looking up, though. I just want to keep on keepin' on. Learning new songs on the guitar, losing a few more pounds (have already lost 13), finish my novel for children, doing lots of paddling, backpacking and biking. I want to do a multiday bicycle tour. Have never done that before. Arizona Trail thruhike is not in the cards this year. My calendar is too full already.
Last edited by azbackpackr on Jan 01 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 01 2019 9:49 am

@azbackpackr If you go to Japan, you will have to hike Mt Fuji, because the Japanese have a saying, and well, you know.

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jan 01 2019 5:13 pm

lots of good stuff in 2018:
technical summits of courthouse rock and eagletail peak, along with a few more outdoor climbs
a return trip to Yosemite with denny and john
another utah trip with my friend from nebraska
overnights to petrified forest, chaco canyon and sedona with john
a little camping and even a backpack
came close to a haz mileage high for the year, and hit my goals for aeg and camelback summits
always after a dozen new peaks; got eleven
great hikes with new and old partners - my sunday playdates :)
for 2019, i'm trying to run more, which cuts down on elevation gain
mileage will take care of itself, but i always say 1200
still looking for new trails, new peaks and i haven't hiked with @tough_boots yet
more outdoor climbing would be nice, and a backpacking trip or two
planning to visit the black hills and badlands this summer
more of the same, really - it's all been good
happy new year y'all!

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 01 2019 9:10 pm

I resolve to just get some Hiking in, in 2019. I got one in today so I guess I've already fulfilled it. But I'd like to get some more in this Year, it's just not going to be easy. A lot going on at Home right now and I have no Spare Time....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer » Jan 02 2019 4:55 am

I normally don't make Hazolutions: in 2018 the only one that I had was to hike Thompson Peak once during the year, and I met this resolution with about 11 hours left in the year...for 2019: hike 1,200 miles with an AEG of 300K feet; do 4 or 5 more 14ers in CO; and do Rim-cubed over 2 days...other than that, if I am healthy then I'll be happy!
I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of starvation.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 02 2019 8:43 am

@outdoor_lover
I know you have your work cut out for you, but I hope you can find some respite for yourself. I saw your other post elsewhere. The caregiver also needs to take care of herself, and you'll find solace in doing an occasional hike. Don't be a stranger, though! And happy New Year!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 02 2019 9:02 am

azbackpackr wrote:
Jan 02 2019 8:43 am
@outdoor_lover
I know you have your work cut out for you, but I hope you can find some respite for yourself. I saw your other post elsewhere. The caregiver also needs to take care of herself, and you'll find solace in doing an occasional hike. Don't be a stranger, though! And happy New Year!
I agree. Break free for a bit whenever you can.

garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 » Jan 04 2019 4:05 pm

I just finished entering the last few hikes for 2018. My annual total was... 189 miles!

My 2019 Hazolutions are:
1) Hike 200 miles.
2) Meet and hike a few miles with some of you. Chat and get to know the person behind the avatar - Tibber, Denny, Joe, Rowdy's dad, Shawn, etc. I've only ever met one person here on HAZ - SaguaroToSomo. Met him as I was hiking down Javelina Canyon Trail.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 14 2019 8:57 pm

Now, I realize this thread died after less than a full page, and so maybe it will be unread in the much less active than 8 years ago forum, but has anyone here ever resolved to, and then stopped logging their hikes, either all or in part? I forgot to log 1 for a day last week, and until I remembered, I also didn't care. Realizing that no one else really would care about stats, mine, specifically, have people just stopped caring and learned to love lurking?

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Jan 24 2019 10:30 am

Thank you @joebartels for the ‘Guide Needed’ list. I know you told me the other day how to come up with that list on my own, but I would never have figured that out without you telling me. Having a premade list helps a ton. I’m not big on goals for each year, but my 2019 HAZolution will be to try to add one new trail guide per month.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 01 2019 9:44 am

Cutting back on photo sets.
Aren’t all hazolutions destined for failure? :sweat:
Profound observer

Return to “General”