Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • The Barracks, UT
Linked Areas none
louie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

The Barracks

Post by louie » May 09 2019 8:15 am

Hello,
Looking for info on ideal cfs for doing this hike as well as just how sketchy is the hike up from the river. I’ve been using this to gage the flow https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?agen ... o=09404900 and was told it should be at 40cfs or lower.

In regards to the climb out how would it compare to say the beginning of the Salt Trail. I’m bringing my 14 year old son who is in plenty good shape to do this hike, but also do not want to put us in a situation with a lot of exposure.

Much thanks!
Not all who wander are lost...

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: The Barracks

Post by chumley » May 09 2019 9:37 am

Looking at the historical flow on the gauge page you linked to, the flow was between 48-52cfs when we were there in October 2017. The photos should help you make a judgement. It was hovering around 40cfs when volcanoclimber did it, and about 37cfs when bezzantine went through.

I would think that up to 60cfs would be no problem at all. If it was above 80 I'd be cautious. 100cfs is often an indicator to me that a creek can't be crossed safely (though every creek is different based on depth, width, and slope). I wouldn't want to hike many miles in that kind of flow.

As for the hike out, the initial part is steep, but not a problem for anybody who regularly scrambles in the desert southwest. There are a couple of stretches of exposed sandstone slab that require a thoughtful traverse or scramble, but this too, is not too challenging unless the view down gets in your head. See [ photo ] -- probably about the worst of it.

The biggest issue is the distance, terrain, heat, and lack of water over those 5 miles on the exit route. There is no shade. I think every triplog posted here reiterates that this section should not be taken lightly.
Highway to hell

SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » May 09 2019 11:27 am

At one time, Parunuweap, The Barracks, or whatever it's called, was at the top of my "Bucket List". I was actually a late scratch on a Tucson Backpackers Meetup adventure to Parunuweap a few years ago. I was always a little apprehensive about the exit route, and had spent some Google time trying to see what I/we would have encountered, but to no avail. If Chumley's pic is a true reflection of the worst the exit route has to offer, then I may have to add Parunuweap back to my "Bucket List".

louie

Post by louie » May 09 2019 12:01 pm

@chumley Awesome info! What kind of shoes did you sport? Since we’re carrying backpacking gear and got that hike out wondering if I should use a canyoneering type boot or just use a cheap pair of non-waterproof hiking boots. Thanks!

chumley

Post by chumley » May 09 2019 12:11 pm

I just wear meshy hiking shoes that dry out quickly once you get out of the water. Bring a dry pair of socks to put on once the shoes dry out a bit after leaving the water.
Highway to hell

nonot

Post by nonot » May 10 2019 7:59 pm

The exit route is nothing to worry about, assuming you find the right spot to exit. It's about 1/3rd of a mile upriver from the plaque.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

louie

Post by louie » May 11 2019 7:08 pm

And one more question. Are there enough trees along this hike and in the canyon to do some hammock camping?
Much thanks!

louie

Post by louie » May 16 2019 7:32 pm

@chumley How cold was it when you guys did this hike? We’re hoping to do this over Memorial Weekend, but from looking at the weather for Kanab and Springdale it’s saying the highs will be in the 60’s. Totally blown away by that as I was thinking end of May would be much warmer. My weather app says it could actually snow in Springdale next week. And Zion Adventure company says the water temp right now is 38 degrees. So now I’m thinking I’ll need some neoprene pants. But who knows with the rains next week the water flow may be to high regardless.

chumley

Post by chumley » May 16 2019 7:52 pm

@louie
We did it in the fall, so the water had a summer of warming up. It was only chilly when you first stepped into it in the morning. I'm sure it's much colder now with all the snow/melt this winter.
Highway to hell

Return to “Trail Chat”