last minute change, looking for suggestions

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
BRichard
City, State: El Mirage

last minute change, looking for suggestions

Post by BRichard »

So, the plan was for myself, my daughter, and my wife to visit West Clear Creek this weekend. Park at bullpen, camp after the turn off on day 1, visit the falls on day two, and hike back to bull pen on day three. Looingk at the temps today I noted the daytime highs now are looking to be in the upper 70s, low 80's. Im concerned that with the mandatory swims in the cold water mixed with cooler day time temps it may be more then the wife is willing to endure...

so now im looking for a nice loop for three days where water availability wont be a huge hassle. Ive found great difficulty planning trips here in az due to crowds and water sources....

Anyone have some suggestions that ISNT the cabin loop?

would like to keep it under 10 miles a day
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: last minute change, looking for suggestions

Post by outdoor_lover »

I know a good one, but it's not a Loop, it's a shuttle. 260 TH to See Canyon. See Canyon to Horton Springs. Horton Springs to the Fish Hatchery TH.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
BRichard

Post by BRichard »

@outdoor_lover
yeah, I was actually looking at loop options in that area. We only have one vehicle at the moment sooo yeah.

Actually, I may have just settled on doing an easy three days and hitting up the Baldy Loop. havnt been over there yet.
BRichard

Post by BRichard »

Ok, I think we may make the trek over to the Baldy Loop.....
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

October is a month of variation. It can be tough to plan trips because the temperature/weather can make huge swings week to week.

In cooler weather, consider:
Holdout-Blackrock Loop
Powers Garden Loop
Mazzies has several loop options, such as Barnhardt-Ybar, or loops starting at sheep bridge, the latter set of which will require good navigation skills
Last edited by nonot on Oct 05 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

nonot wrote:(If the Mazzies open soon)
I'm not aware of any restrictions in the Mazzies on that side of the Beeline -- only the burn area in the southern part of the range - Ord and 4p
Championing breakfast since 1994.
nonot

Post by nonot »

@chumley
You're correct, I had confused in my head the fire closure area with the stage 1 fire restriction area.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
no avatar
ShatteredArm

Post by ShatteredArm »

I just did a long stretch of WCC yesterday, and the water was quite chilly early in the morning through the White Box, but down by the falls it was perfect.
BRichard

Post by BRichard »

@ShatteredArm
thanks for the heads up. iIf the daytime temps were to hold as they where (low 90s) id be down. However, they are forecasted (NOAA) to drastically fall to daytime temps in the 70s....and with being wet the better part of the day, and in the shade of the canyon, that equals potential hypothermia....no Bueno.
no avatar
ShatteredArm

Post by ShatteredArm »

@BRichard
Temperatures are elevated through Friday, with Saturday just being the start of the cool down. There's still sunlight in that part of the canyon. Water temperatures won't just plummet overnight. You also won't be wet the better part of the day, there's just one or two swims, and very low humidity. This weekend should still be excellent conditions for that area.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

If you have a pool here in the valley, you can attest to how quickly the temperature of the water drops in fall. Even this year with record warmth continuing into October. The temperature of the water in WCC near Camp Verde has dropped from the regular summer high of about 74F to about 65F.

I did some swimming there last week. The time spent in the water was numbing if more than a couple of minutes (and I'm not shy about swimming in alpine lakes ... or the North Sea :D ). During midday in the warm sun recovery was fine when you got out but in the shade of afternoon it wasn't as pleasant. I've learned over time that people's tolerance for cold water differs greatly from one to another, so I won't suggest what is best for anybody else.

But if backpacking through water isn't something you're accustomed to, I think it's a smart idea to pay close attention to water temperatures and the weather forecast.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
no avatar
ShatteredArm

Post by ShatteredArm »

@chumley
Obviously cold water temperature is subjective... My point is if it ever made sense to do a backpacking trip in WCC a week and a half into October, this is the year to do it. If this week's forecast is a deterrent, I'd say the whole plan was extremely unrealistic from the very beginning.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”