Linked Area, etc none
azbackpackr
Guides: 27 | Official Routes: 22
Triplogs Last: 16 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 3 | Last: 211 days ago
City, State: Needles CA

Article: Exploring the lower San Juan River formerly under Lake Powell

Post by azbackpackr »

Some beautiful landforms are being revealed along the lower San Juan River as Lake Powell's water recedes. A group of river runners, BLM rangers, USGS scientists and an archaeologist went to take a look.

There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
RedRoxx44
Guides: 5 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 48 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 5,284 days ago
City, State: outside, anywhere

Re: Article: Exploring the lower San Juan River formerly under Lake Powell

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Thanks a lot for this ( light sarcasm here); now I've got a big burn on to get to a place on Lake Powell since I will be up in Utah next month. Unless a couple of people come thru I might be renting a Jet ski and trying to get there solo. Since this is out of my wheelhouse I'll have to see if I can make it happen without killing myself.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@RedRoxx44
I believe the San Juan Arm is pretty far from anywhere. I have friends who have paddled there and I have other friends who tried to paddle there and it was just too far from Halls crossing. (They made it to the confluence, but then a big wind storm came up and they ran out of food because they had to hole up for a week.)

Of course there is no launch available at Halls Crossing for anything motorized right now, only for paddle craft. I just don't know how you would have enough fuel to go that far and back. But I don't know that much about jet skis.

The San Juan arm is 36 miles from Halls crossing. It's a little bit further than that from Bullfrog. From Antelope Canyon launch, which is also closed, it is 51 miles. Bullfrog may still be open. I don't know if anything is open over by Wahweap, but I think there is one open there, and it would add another 10 miles at least making it over 60 miles, because obviously the cutover is not open.

This is a great time for the best sea kayakers. People who can stay out there for 2 or 3 weeks.
Last edited by azbackpackr on Oct 20 2022 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
chumley
Guides: 84 | Official Routes: 204
Triplogs Last: 20 days ago | RS: 40
Water Reports 1Y: 9 | Last: 91 days ago
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@azbackpackr
Solar power!
two scoops!
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@chumley
Oh harhar!

More seriously, it is for this that I am interested in getting a true expedition sea kayak, 17 feet, that will hold 3 weeks worth of supplies. A friend of mine has one she wants to sell. I will drool over it, and maybe I'll buy it.

PS edited message to Letty.
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Actually not going to the San Juan this time. The Escalante Arm has fully exposed Cathedral in the Desert and part of Gregory Arch in 50 mile. I've got the trip booked as an overnight, so hopefully it will happen. From where we are launching is about 80 miles one way so will have to carry extra fuel. I am planning a toast to Katie Lee!
If I had time and more freedom from my caregiving duties then an expedition kayak would be on the wish list. Lots of see on Powell and the tributaries right now.
FYI for general. Dangling Rope is closed, Part of Bullfrog is open, Wahweap and as you mentioned Halls for non motorized only. I saw where the Hite gas station is closed, so on that side if going into the Maze from there bring plenty of fuel. No fuel between the Hat/ or Blanding and Hanksville as far as I know. You can get fuel at Bullfrog but is some miles out of the way unless that is a destination.
trekkin_gecko
Guides: 10 | Official Routes: 44
Triplogs Last: today | RS: 40
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 460 days ago
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko »

RedRoxx44 wrote: No fuel between the Hat/ or Blanding and Hanksville as far as I know
this is true
hazhole
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@RedRoxx44
I think some people from the Southern Arizona paddlers Club out of Tucson went to Gregory Arch this September but I was paddling the Meander Canyon of the Colorado River at the time. I always make my plans six or eight months in advance, and they make theirs only about 3 months in advance, so I usually miss out on their stuff. It is a worthwhile group to belong to if you want to get into some serious paddling.
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 248 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,475 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

azbackpackr wrote:I always make my plans six or eight months in advance, and they make theirs only about 3 months in advance
In six or eight months you may be able to hike that trip instead of paddling.
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I hiked 50 mile canyon at another low water time in the early 2000's but it wasn't this low. The arch hasn't been out of the water since I believe 1969. The cathedral I think has not been fully revealed since 64 or 65. I am not much of a group person; expensive but I am going on a solo guided trip. I am going mid November so hopefully no crowds and I'll see how I feel piloting a jetski 160 miles RT. Probably like riding a horse. I bet I'll hardly be able to move once I get off the thing. Ha, just got my Lake Powell map. Notes with it include the lake as of June 29 is up 17.41 feet from last years low.
Last edited by RedRoxx44 on Oct 21 2022 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 248 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,475 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

RedRoxx44 wrote: I'll see how I feel piloting a jetski 160 miles RT. Probably like riding a horse. I bet I'll hardly be able to move once I get off the thing.
Yeah, that sounds like a potential ordeal.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@RedRoxx44
Which map? I have Trails Illustrated Natl Geo, but on the lake I use two I recommend: Lake Powell South and LP North, by Fish-n-map company. https://www.fishnmap.com/
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

@azbackpackr
Stan Jones and Steve Wards Lake Powell and its 96 canyons Boating and Exploring Map. Pretty simplistic but it has a nice summary of buoy meanings, boating rules, and points of interest along and up sidecanyons of the lake. Pictures of types of fish. My guide primarily guides fishing groups so I think I know what he'll be doing while I am wandering slickrock.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@RedRoxx44
Cool, I'll look for that one.

Return to “Boat, Canoe, Kayak, etc...”