Fishing in Mainstem of Black river

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Black River - Mainstem, AZ
Linked Areas none
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Fishing in Mainstem of Black river

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Jun 15 2006 7:27 pm

does anyone have any experience fishing in the mainstem of the black river? i am just wondering if the fishing is good, or if there is any, i have been along the west fork of the river and there was no fish what so ever,

Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Jun 15 2006 9:52 pm

i should have been more specific i mean more specific i meant near buffalo crossing, near alpine

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 19 2006 1:01 pm

I have backpacked the area between Bear Creek and Fish Creek, a little ways downstream on the mainstem from Buffalo Crossing. I didn't fish but saw other people fishing--it's quite popular, especially at Buffalo Crossing. Whether they are catching very many is another matter--I don't know the answer.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 19 2006 6:08 pm

I recently became interested in fishing and have been going quite a bit. I've been entertaining the thought of going to the Black River soon. Maybe this will help: http://www.gf.state.az.us/artman/publis ... x_28.shtml

EAST FORK OF BLACK RIVER – Stream flows are low. There were 1,134 catchable size Apache trout stocked and the water temperature was 70 degrees. Try worms, Power Bait, lures such as small spinners, and flies such as peacock ladies, wooly worms, zug bugs, prince nymphs, hares ear nymphs, and black or brown nymphs.

WEST FORK OF BLACK RIVER – Stocked with 583 Apache trout this week and the water temperature was 64 degrees. Stream flows are low. Fishing is good for Apache trout. The West Fork campground area has been stocked with catchable Apache trout and will be stocked weekly as long as water temperatures and forest conditions are good. Try worms, Power Bait, lures such as small spinners, and flies such as peacock ladies, wooly worms, zug bugs, prince nymphs, hares ear nymphs, and black or brown nymphs. Bait can be used in the campground area to the confluence of the East Fork of the Black River only. The catch and release area, artificial lure and fly only, is from Hayground creek to the Fort Apache Indian Reservation boundary, approximately 10 miles. All tributary streams (Hayground, Stinky, Thompson, and Burro) are open to catch and release with artificial lure and fly only.

The Fish and Game web site is very helpful and the fishing reports seem to be really accurate. I've been having great luck this year following the advice in these reports.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Return to “Fishing”