Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
base871
City, State: Tempe

car camping around flag

Post by base871 » Jul 13 2008 4:47 pm

ive got 4 days off at the first of next month, and am going to the flagstaff area to red mountain, lava cave, maybe humphreys and wherever else i feel like checking out. is there any good places to set up around, say, lava cave? im looking for a centrally located area to sleep for 3 of 4 nights while up there. Thanks!
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Re: car camping around flag

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jul 13 2008 5:21 pm

There is usually some established camp areas near the Lava tubes, Kendrick area. Wouldn't think you could have a fire this time of year though. I've also camped just a mile or so off of 180 at FR 245, some established camps there too, but you could here the traffic at night.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 13 2008 5:44 pm

no fire restrictions on Coconino or Kaibab. Go to summit of Kendrick. then, if you have time do the lava tube. otherwise its really boring. Camping a night or two on Lockett Meadow is good (its the only place I'll pay to camp). Drive Shulzt tank road to get back on the 180 on your way to Kendrick.
:D

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jul 13 2008 8:01 pm

Agreed, don't have a whole day set aside for the lava tube, it takes an hour, kendrick is a great mountain with 1/10th of the people on Humphrey's.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 13 2008 8:33 pm

Last time I camped on Shultz Pass Road, I turned off just past the sign that says camping is allowe--there is a little road that goes off to the left. I have camped Shultz Pass a number of times, also Lockett's. I hate car camping, only do it for a reason, like I have to be somewhere nearby the next day.

So last time we were just bivying for the night there along Shultz Pass Rd., planning to do the Hump first thing the next morning. No big deal, but still one likes to get one's sleep. At 3 a.m., no kidding at 3 a.m., some total creep idiot dipdoodle parked nearby and turned his stereo up loud enough to wake most of Flagstaff. We shined lights over there and yelled at him, and lucky us, he turned the thing off. My friend, a real pacifist type, whispered at me, "Hey, did you bring your gun?" She was scared. I assured her, that yes, it was here in my tent, under my pillow!

I have never failed to go car camping that, if there are other people nearby, they have no idea they are being really annoyingly noisy, or maybe they just don't care. Playing music in a campground or camping area, where other people can hear it is just beyond rude. Just beyond ignorant. What can you say about people like that? It's funny too, because it wouldn't even matter if they were playing my favorite song in the whole wide world. I still don't want to hear it in my space. Of course, they never are playing my favorite song, anyway.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 13 2008 9:38 pm

thanks. i hate car camping too, but having a chance to do several hikes in the area im kinda forced too. just having a "base camp"- no pun intended- while im out hiking helps. the kendrick peak sounds fun though, maybe i could do a bull basin-pumkin loop, with an overnight up there, then hit red mtn and the cave on the third day. so, another question, has anyone seen any campspots up there on kendrick?
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 13 2008 10:53 pm

There are two or three nice campsites along Friedlien Prairie road (FR522??). This road is camping restricted and I believe there are 14 or so dispersed sites where camping is allowed. I say there are two or three, because most of them are right along the road. The others are off on spur roads in groves of aspen and grass that make them a pretty cool place to be. But, I would only really recommend staying here during the week, as weekends tend to draw more traffic, etc.

Hart Prairie also offers some nice spots, especially during the week. Great views of the peaks at night with any kind of moonlight.

As for Schultz Pass, I find that this is just crazy-rocky, and it's tough to find a reasonably flat/smooth place to set up a tent.

Lava tube is a cool place to visit, but I've never camped near it...
Profound observer

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jul 14 2008 5:49 am

base871 wrote: the kendrick peak sounds fun though, maybe i could do a bull basin-pumkin loop, with an overnight up there, has anyone seen any campspots up there on kendrick?
There is a great spot where there is a little cabin about 1/2 mile from the top at a small saddle. You would have to lug your own water though. Here is the cabin, there is a spot right next to it.

http://www.hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=47564

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 14 2008 5:55 am

See, now THAT sounds fun!

I've heard there are lots of spots near the Kendrick trailhead, if you want car camping, but I don't have first-hand knowledge of this.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 14 2008 7:24 am

if you camp te-wa style you have your choice of 124,538 campsites. or more. :D
bridge.jpg
:D

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 14 2008 9:18 am

chumley wrote:There are two or three nice campsites along Friedlien Prairie road (FR522??). This road is camping restricted and I believe there are 14 or so dispersed sites where camping is allowed. I say there are two or three, because most of them are right along the road.
FR522 is correct and campsite #5 is a good one so says a friend of mine.. I have yet to camp on this FR which is a right turn off the main road that goes up to Humphreys Peak.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Jul 14 2008 5:36 pm

I just hiked Kenderick peak this weekend... It was beautiful. A great hike. And there is a lot of car camping to be done in the area, particularly off fr193. Saw some deer off that road, too!
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Return to “Trail Chat”