Superfeet?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Superfeet?

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 21 2009 7:21 pm

I just recently got my Oboz Ignition trail runners and I was contemplating getting the superfeet insoles for them. I wanted to check out you guys opinions on them before I spend more on these things than I got the shoes for ($30 on clearance). I did do a comparison at my local REI but it was hard to decide whether I want the cushyness of the stock insoles or possibly more foot protection with the superfeet. The stock insoles are almost the same in design obviously minus the plastic plate (very good arch support and a deep heel cup). Also the shoes do have a plastic protection layer that's actually in the sole of the shoe. After doing camelback today I don't think they are too bad.....certainly TONS better than the wally world hikers I was using before that. They seem to keep the sharp rocks from bruising my feet very very well. Think I'll be fine with my stock setup or would these be worth the investment?

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Superfeet?

Post by dysfunction » Jan 22 2009 6:05 pm

the superfeet IMO are best at keeping your foot in a neutral position by supporting it properly.. great for me since I have high arches so I tend to pronate and over flex my foot without them.. but I'm not sure how much they actually cushion against sharp rocks underfoot.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 22 2009 6:18 pm

I've been using the green ones for years and have recently switched to the new black ones with memory foam..which hasn't gone so well...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 22 2009 6:28 pm

Go Superfeet GREEN..it's worth the extra expense! ;)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Jan 22 2009 8:23 pm

I had never heard of Superfeet...now you have me wanting to try them out! ;)

Go GREEN, huh?!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Jan 22 2009 8:57 pm

Can't say I ever really noticed a difference with mine, my thought would be I would have rather spent my money (the small amount I have in college) elsewhere
Last edited by fairweather8588 on Jan 22 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Jan 22 2009 9:00 pm

well, i have another pair of hiking boots i've worn the padding out of in the heels, and was wondering what to try with them to keep from pitching them with the rest...worth a shot!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

fricknaley

Post by fricknaley » Jan 23 2009 12:58 am

i just use generic inserts now. i had a pair of superfeet once that just killed my feet.
hi

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 23 2009 7:05 am

Some of them *do not* work with certain hiking shoes or boots so check them out throughly before running them on the trail. Nick can attest to what happened when I ran a pair of Blacks in my new Chameleon ISO shoes on Rincon Peak last year... :?
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

fricknaley

Post by fricknaley » Jan 23 2009 7:56 am

word
hi

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Jan 23 2009 8:34 am

nickfraley wrote:i just use generic inserts now. i had a pair of superfeet once that just killed my feet.
Nice thing is I think they have a month long satisfaction guarantee.. I went through 3 different types before I found that I could get greens filed down to fit my boots and my feet.. if that hadn't worked the stock inserts would have gone back in and I'd have dealt with tired arches :D
mike

ssk44
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Jan 23 2009 8:50 am

Unfortunately my experience was anything but great. I used the "Green" ones. They felt really good for the first couple of weeks but everything went downhill from there. My feet were literally damaged so bad from wearing those insoles that it took three months to get them back to normal. I went through various phases of pain in my toes and arch. It was the weirdest thing I have ever experienced. I will never go near an insole with a heavily build up arch again.

:stretch:
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 23 2009 8:55 am

If the arches are too high, or you over-tighten your laces (As I used to do), you compress the vasculature atop your foot causing a decrease in blood circulation in your toes and severe pain. I had numbness in part of my left foot after the incident with the black Superfeet that didn't subside for almost a week afterward.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

ssk44
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Jan 23 2009 9:07 am

Jeff MacE wrote:If the arches are too high, or you over-tighten your laces (As I used to do), you compress the vasculature atop your foot causing a decrease in blood circulation in your toes and severe pain. I had numbness in part of my left foot after the incident with the black Superfeet that didn't subside for almost a week afterward.

Insoles with heavily built up arch support can in many instances put your legs out of alignment. This was one of the secondary problems that I had. Certain chiropractors can test for that. Shoes that are two short can also cause this problem when your toes compress excessively in the front on descents. If you ever have unexplained headaches or hip problems during a hike, you are likely experiencing problems from one of these issues.
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Jan 23 2009 9:20 am

it's all about making your shoes/inserts match your feet. I've been lucky enough to learn this first hand.. my wife has no arches, I have high arches. both of us have different inserts and when correct it actually corrects posture and gait.

FWIW, too much pressure on the top of the foot can also cause otherwise unexplained foot cramping
mike

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jan 23 2009 9:31 pm

dysfunction wrote:it's all about making your shoes/inserts match your feet.
That is the key. People rave about Superfeet, but they are not for everybody, and I found out the hard way. If Superfeet do not work for you, I suggest checking out Spenco backpacking inserts. REI carries Spenco, but not the backpacking ones (why?). The only place I was able to find them was Peace Outfitters in Flagstaff.

I never put any time into researching types of insoles and types of feet and the marriage between the two. Mostly cause I'm not that interested. But if you don't want to waste money, I'd suggest putting a little effort into knowing your feet before purchasing insoles.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 25 2009 8:49 pm

Ya I think I'm just going to skip out on the superfeet. After doing a big 2 day loop in the western Supes I can safely say the shoes don't need new insoles. Heck I'm still wearing them right now 8 hours after I got off the trail. No bruised up feet even though we were hitting some rough rocky trails at alot of points.

writelots

Post by writelots » Jan 26 2009 9:27 am

Yeah, they may not be for everyone - but for us pronaters or those like me who constantly suffer from damaged plantars, they're a godsend. I wear them in my running shoes, hiking shoes and field work shoes. They're not the best for cushioning - that's why you need to spring to be in the shoe, not the insole when you're picking them out. I take my sf with me when I buy new shoes, and now I take my toe socks, too. Between the superfeet, toe socks and realizing I needed a size and a half larger in hiking shoes, I'm doing much better with feet lasting as long as the legs...
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 26 2009 9:42 am

I'm putting the black Superfeet in my new shoes so I'll report back...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Jan 26 2009 9:47 am

What is interesting is that I find they help in my boots, but I can't stand them in my running shoes... Of course, that may make sense. I have high arches and supinate, my boots don't provide any cushion for my feet because of that, but my running shoes do. That's with the greens, I might have to try the blacks in them.
mike

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”