Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

We are so lucky!

Post by sirena » Jun 27 2009 8:55 am

I was just in Chicago, visiting family. Even though I have lived in Tucson for 15 years, I always get the question "So, do you think you'll ever move back?" The question seems so ludicrous to me- why would I EVER want to leave this beautiful state? Especially to move to a place where the only means of getting elevation gain would be to walk up the stairway of a tall building and the landscape outside the city consists of either strip malls or corn! Then they ask "What about the heat? And I explain that in Arizona, one only needs to drive to a cooler part of the state or to the top of the nearest mountain to get relief. Every time I answer these two questions, I realize how lucky I am to live in this state. I showed many of my friends and family pictures from my Arizona Trail hike, and they were all astonished at the variety of beautiful environments in Arizona.

I moved here to attend the U of A without visiting first and I still remember how completely alien this environment was to me. It took a lot of adjustment in the earlier years, but I grew to love my new desert home. Yesterday, as my plane was flying in over the Rincons and I saw all my familiar landmarks outlined against the last rays of the sun, I felt such a sense of excitment and gratitude that I live in such a breathtakingly beautiful place.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

desert spirit

Re: We are so lucky!

Post by desert spirit » Jun 27 2009 11:43 am

sirena wrote:Then they ask "What about the heat? And I explain that in Arizona, one only needs to drive to a cooler part of the state or to the top of the nearest mountain to get relief.
Whenever I hear that from people back East, I always reply with ... "you're so right! It's horrible here! Just today it was 120 in the shade, and last week three hikers died from heat stroke." ;)

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Jun 27 2009 1:16 pm

I get alot of the same questions when I go back to visit. My favorite is "don't you miss the change of seasons?" :sl:

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Jun 27 2009 5:07 pm

We should tell everyone back there how horrible it is here. 135 degree summer days, flash floods wiping out homes, forest fires killing babies, that sort of thing. Convince them of how wonderful their place is and tell them how if you could only find a job, you'd move back in a heart beat.
:o

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 27 2009 8:40 pm

:D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jun 28 2009 10:10 am

If we do not have the summer heat, the snowbirds would live here year round.
jk

no avatar
Ckzona
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by Ckzona » Jun 28 2009 1:06 pm

I would tell people that Arizona sucks but I usually don't need to. When I was visiting my hometown near Chicago. A couple times I would hear people saying stuff about Arizona on how it's a flat hot desert and should be part of Mexico not the U.S. It almost gets me mad( in my head i'm thinking well you drive 2 hours from Phoenix and your in the cool mountains.) It's such a great state and people outside of Arizona don't realize Arizona is nowhere near all desert.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 28 2009 3:38 pm

charkellyaz18 wrote: It's such a great state and people outside of Arizona don't realize Arizona is nowhere near all desert.

Lets keep it that way.
:o

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 28 2009 5:12 pm

When we landed in Kuwait one time it was about 128F in the shade...literally. Some of the guys were saying: "Aren't you used to this, being from Arizona and all?!" I almost laughed but then realized I am in total agreement with Hodlof on this one and let them mislead themselves on.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

oceanwithin
City, State: AZ

Post by oceanwithin » Jun 28 2009 5:22 pm

Arizona is pretty amazing indeed, so much natural beauty and tons of awesome trails - makes me laugh a bit when I hear anyone say "there's nothing to do in arizona!" :)

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Jun 28 2009 7:36 pm

jhodlof wrote:We should tell everyone back there how horrible it is here. 135 degree summer days, flash floods wiping out homes, forest fires killing babies, that sort of thing. Convince them of how wonderful their place is and tell them how if you could only find a job, you'd move back in a heart beat.

This has been my tactic since about '95 or so.. it hasn't worked :(
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 28 2009 8:42 pm

dysfunction wrote:
jhodlof wrote:We should tell everyone back there how horrible it is here. 135 degree summer days, flash floods wiping out homes, forest fires killing babies, that sort of thing. Convince them of how wonderful their place is and tell them how if you could only find a job, you'd move back in a heart beat.

This has been my tactic since about '95 or so.. it hasn't worked :(
Indeed...much to my chagrin... :?
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

cathymocha
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Jun 29 2009 10:13 am

Just don't let them know that the Grand Canyon is here...not Colorado.
:)

writelots

Post by writelots » Jun 29 2009 10:18 am

Serina, I couldn't agree with you more. Arizona is a spectacular and wonderful place, and we're lucky not only to live in the middle of it, but to have the health and freedom to see so much of it. As much as I like to keep people away, and hoard the place to myself, it's hard not to brag and beat the drum a bit. I'm a native, and in comparison to every place I've visited, I still like my home the best!
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

snakemarks
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by snakemarks » Jul 06 2009 1:33 am

I moved here from Chicago 5 years ago. The rest of my family thinks I'm nuts to live in this heat, but I think 3 months of seriously hot is an outstanding trade for 9 months of seriously lousy, with 3 of them spent scraping ice off your car in subzero temps! And, unless you love glass and concrete, the scenery here is a whole lot better.

Signed,
Never Going Back
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Jul 06 2009 8:49 am

See, this is why I preferred WI. There was no concrete.. and every place has 3-4 months of lousy weather :sl:

I could never figure out why ya'll would come up for vacation.. but LIVE in that place
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 06 2009 3:24 pm

I work outside every day here in Phoenix, so I know all about the heat! I just tell people you do get used to it, by about October or so! Reminds me of a time I was up around Moab hiking and came across a group from Jersey or something.(Guessing by the funny accent) They looked like they were having the most miserable time of there life! It was about 90 degrees that day. When they found out I had been backpacking for 2 days they nearly lost it. How can you stay out in this one said to me. I just told them look, this is nothing compared to where im going back home to. When they asked where and I told them Phoenix they FREAKED. They were heading there next!!!!!!! :sl:
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 06 2009 4:28 pm

Arizona Trivia: Arizona's average elevation is 4,100 feet.

A good one to remember when discussing "why AZ" with out of state family & friends.

(I posted this recently on another thread, but do believe it is worth repeating here)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 07 2009 5:31 am

Grasshopper wrote:Arizona Trivia: Arizona's average elevation is 4,100 feet.
However, in my experience, the average person from the midwest or east has no clue that elevation is a factor in climate. If you tell them that in Arizona, climate is a function of elevation and not of latitude they just give you a look. They have no clue, and they think it is cooler in Flagstaff because it's further NORTH, not because it's higher in elevation. Elevation means nothing to someone from the midwest, because they don't have any mountains there so they have no frame of reference. I even had a guy from Ohio say to me one time that it must be hotter in the mountains because it's closer to the sun. And he was my neighbor in Tucson and had lived there for years. (I had suggested to him he take his kids to Mt. Lemmon to get out of the heat.) Some people just have mush for brains and there is nothing you can do about it.

They also come to the White Mountains and refer to this area as Northern Arizona. Sheesh. Look at a map, will ya?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

nonot

Post by nonot » Jul 07 2009 7:35 pm

Most places elevation is 3 degrees per every 1000 feet elevation, which isn't all that much. I think Arizona in practice is more like 6 degrees, simply because the desert floor is so fricken hot that really you lose the first twenty degrees by getting away from the heat bubble caused by millions of city air conditioners, the second 20 you lose by adding 7000 feet.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Return to “General”