Arizona Geology at your fingertips

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Arizona Geology at your fingertips

Post by chumley » Sep 28 2009 12:27 pm

This didn't seem to fit in any of the three previous threads on geology ... so I thought I'd add a new one.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be of much use to anybody who doesn't have an iPhone or iPod touch, but for those who do, I found a really cool App called "Geology AZ". I have no relationship with the developers ... I just saw a blog post that talked about it and thought it may be of interest to some other HAZ members who are interested in Arizona's diverse geology.

The app features 28 layers of GIS maps that can each be turned on/off independently and overlapped with custom transparency. Geology, terrain elevation, aquifers, fire history, hydrology, mineral resources, mines, faults, and public land boundaries ... among others!

Its a self-contained app, so it doesn't require a cell or internet connection, and hi-res maps generated by the app can be output to your computer. Using an iPhone, the GPS can locate you on the map and find out exactly what kind of rock you are standing on right now.

All of this data is publicly available in various places both on and offline, but its nice to see it all in one convenient spot ... that you can carry with you without bringing endless paper maps. So anyway, if anybody else finds this as cool as I do, check out their site. It links to a couple of video demonstrations, and of course to the iTunes app store. At $4.99, seems pretty reasonable for what you get.

http://www.integrity-logic.com/GeologyAZ/
Profound observer

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Arizona Geology at your fingertips

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 28 2009 6:36 pm

That is freaking awesome!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

cabel
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by cabel » Sep 29 2009 12:01 pm

Very cool!
All who wander are not lost...just me.

AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Feb 06 2010 9:49 pm

Anyone interested in the geology of highways 88 - 188- or 87 might be interested in this mile post description and relevent maps of how this region was formed including the Superstitions. While out of print it is available online at" http://www.azgs.az.gov/publications_onl ... ull184.pdf
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 06 2010 10:51 pm

That's a sweet book! Thanks for posting!
Profound observer

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 07 2010 1:28 pm

Some very good links. I have many of the publications from the AZ Bureau of Mines including the the highway guidebooks. To much traffic on most of the areas that have some interesting road cuts. Though they need to update but some sections of the new AZ 87 they covered the road cuts with spray on sedona.
jk

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Feb 08 2010 8:27 am

AZLOT69 wrote:Anyone interested in the geology of highways 88 - 188- or 87 might be interested in this mile post description and relevent maps of how this region was formed including the Superstitions. While out of print it is available online at
The only problem with those are they are so out of date that the roads both 87 and 188 don't even follow we have chased out a few but the whole of 87 is different then when it was written. Same with 188 the road cuts aren't there cause they are old layout of the road...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Return to “Geology”