Shoes

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
CindyC

Shoes

Post by CindyC » Aug 23 2002 8:39 pm

Awhile back there was a topic where someone was inquiring about shoes. Well I am in the market for a new pair and I remember many suggestions on a New Balance trail runner. Does anyone recall the shoe I am talking about? If not, any suggestions? Thanks.
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

MaryPhyl
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Aug 23 2002 9:19 pm

I'm wearing NB 803 right now. The virtue of New Balance is that they come in a huge variety of sizes and widths. If you do a google search you can look at pictures. Some of them are made for particular--words escape me so I'll describe-- ways people walk like toes pointed in or out.

ck_1
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by ck_1 » Aug 23 2002 10:07 pm

Since moving out here I've gone thru more shoes than I can remember...lets see

Nike light hikers...wore out quickly..lacked traction...discoverd the lack of traction on the descent of Flatiron...yea, the slick rock section.

Moved on to The North Face shoes...the version before Coyote Ridge...crappiest shoes I've ever owned...wore out, litterally a hole thru the sole of the shoe, in less than 6 weeks.

Next up, New Balance Trail runners...80something....wore out the upper...totally collapsed, no form...perhaps I bought the wrong pair...I mow the lawn in them now.

Brought home a pair of Merrill Blades...wore them on Squaw and for the first time ever returned a pair of shoes to REI...they were terrible...and the sticky sole lead to lost lugs, on the first outing...Merrill has since revamped the model.

Left REI with a pair of Montrail mid-cut hikers...too warm, wore them around the living room and my feet were sweating...so...back to REI

Where I purchaed the LOWA TEMPEST LO! The finest hiker ever made. I'm on my second pair. They last me about a year (with superfeet insert).

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBo ... y=4&Type=M

My wife has had similar trouble, but loves her newest pair....Teva hikers...not the trail runner, the hiker, the Impulse...she LOVES them

http://www.teva.com/products.asp?d=1&g= ... 6417&NAV=1
'The Journey is the Destination!'

mtoomeyaz
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by mtoomeyaz » Aug 24 2002 12:49 am

I'm a big fan of New Balance also. They frequently update styles so it is hard to keep up with the numbers. The 803's Maryphyl mention are out of production. I'm in 804's now and love em. They are also out of production but you may still find some on clearance. 805 is the current model going. Have'nt checked em out personally yet but hear good feedback. I've been in the GC rim to river to rim in the 804's with no problems. Everybody has a different foot though, so go with your gut. BTW I like to road run in Asics products and their street shoes even hold up fair on the trail but won't take too much punishment.
Mike T
-------------------------------------------------
Less is more

evenstarx3
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Post by evenstarx3 » Aug 24 2002 6:49 am

I have a pair of New Balance 805's; they're what I wore on my hike into and out from Phantom Ranch in May. Good traction and light weight. Also have a pair of NB 962's; NB calls them "All Terrain" shoes. Slightly heavier than the 805's, waterproof and a little sturdier.
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli
http://members.tripod.com/~evenstar/
http://www.arizonahikers.com/
"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb

ck_1

Post by ck_1 » Aug 24 2002 6:59 am

Isn't there a NB store at PV mall?

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Aug 24 2002 1:00 pm

Thanks for all the input. I have a pair of Lowa Renegades for the trail. Best boots I've ever worn. For running I seem to always fall back on the Saucony's. I'm looking for an all purpose yet gutsy shoe. I work outside and walk many miles everyday. Think I'll check into the New Balance. :P

Wiz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Wiz » Aug 25 2002 4:09 am

I've had my best luck with Danner boots. Anyone else try them? Any comparisons to offer? I'm always ready to upgrade my pedal environment!
"The older I get, the better I was."

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Aug 25 2002 7:33 am

My favorite hiking boot/shoe has been the Hi-Tec line, affordable and gentle on my feet.
Trail running is Merrills.
Street running is Nike.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 25 2002 9:11 am

Biking, jogging and running; New Balance 606 and 608. I got them in a wider width and an extra half size for the spenco inserts. Hiking books: Redwing 8" with padded collar and insulated 400 grams of thinsulate and Herman Survivors (the ones made in eastern europe, not the current ones made in china) 8'' with padded collar and insulated with 200 grams of thinsulate.

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Aug 25 2002 2:46 pm

I went shopping for shoes yesterday. While I did not find the New Balance 800 series I did come away with an awesome deal on a pair of Saucony road runners, like I need another pair of running shoes! :roll: I did Echo Canyon this a.m. and was checking out everyone's feet, strange I know but I noticed alot of people in the New Balance. Think I'll keep looking.

ck_1

Post by ck_1 » Aug 25 2002 4:05 pm

I'm pretty sure New Balance dominates the market in the trail runner/approach shoe. I checked the pair I bought when we first moved out here to discover that mine were the 700 series...which must not have been as durable.

azrocks

Post by azrocks » Aug 25 2002 4:11 pm

Runners Den on 16th St just north of Bethany Home has NB 80x,
and good prices. Another indestructible trail runner is the Asics
Gel Trabuco - I like them better than my 804s for longer distances,
though the 804s have the best grip.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sep 27 2002 6:06 am

Well, in the absence of any discussion on them, I have just purchased a new pair of Danner Light II's. YES!!! I am READY!! It's amazing what a difference tread on your soles makes. I had my last pair (same boot) for about 3 years of continuous, cross-country, incredibly abusive hiking. Except for the tread being about gone, they're still in good shape despite the fact that I've never cleaned them or treated the leather in any way. They're not cheap, but they ARE:
- Comfortable
- Durable
- Lined with Gore-Tex
- Made in the USA

Which, for me, is a winning combination.

MaryPhyl
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Sep 27 2002 7:35 am

Cindy Coons wrote:I went shopping for shoes yesterday. While I did not find the New Balance 800 series I did come away with an awesome deal on a pair of Saucony road runners, like I need another pair of running shoes! :roll: I did Echo Canyon this a.m. and was checking out everyone's feet, strange I know but I noticed alot of people in the New Balance. Think I'll keep looking.
Cindy--check out the soles of the Saucony shoes on a wet surface. They are probably fine but I bought some several years ago because Consumer Reports said they were great shoes only to find they were dangerously slippery when things were wet. MP

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Sep 27 2002 8:21 am

My $.02

My favorite all round shoe/boot has to be the Merrell Ventalator series. They come in a high top for ankle support and low top for reduced weight and increased flexibility. I wear mine for daily use and trail use and have never had problems with blisters or excessive wear. The nice thing about the ventalator is the vents. Your foot breaths easy and when you step in a puddle they dry fast. They are also very light and have a stiff sticky sole. I haven’t had the problems CK1 had with the knobs breaking off. They must have resolved that.
My only complaint with them is the sole padding. After several water uses the padding wears down to nothing and leads to sore heals.
I’m not a fan of water proof shoes/boots for hiking, because 9 times out of 10 the water I’m wearing them in is above the top of the shoe/boot and they fill up. Unfortunately they are two way water proof (no water in, no water out). Also my feet sweat too much in them and my wife won’t let me in the house!

I’ve never used HiTech, but I seen a pair fall apart on a guy on a trail and would not trust them (we wrapped his shoe in rope and duct tape, worked pretty good). After seeing it, I heard similar stories. Same thing with New Balance. Years ago I was watching a college basketball game and 3 or 4 people on one team had the soles come off their shoes during the game. They were all New Balances. Luckily no one got hurt. At half time everyone came out in shoes other then New Balance.
I'm sure both companies addressed their problems by now, but I still have trust issues. I have to be able to rely on my shoes.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sep 27 2002 9:19 am

Daryl wrote:I’m not a fan of water proof shoes/boots for hiking, because 9 times out of 10 the water I’m wearing them in is above the top of the shoe/boot and they fill up. Unfortunately they are two way water proof (no water in, no water out). Also my feet sweat too much in them and my wife won’t let me in the house!
The Gore-tex boots aren't the same as waterproof. The water will of course come in over the top; but I find they breathe just fine, and after walking through water my feet dry out (sort of) pretty quickly.

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Sep 27 2002 4:44 pm

Just a quick difference of opinion.

I do think that every foot has its own needs. My shoes last year were the Merrell Ventalator series. They worked fine with the exception that the cureled toe sole (if that makes sense) delaminated after a few weeks of use.

This year I went with the North Face Ultra 100 GTX. To compare the two I give the North Face Shoes the nod. These shoes are lighter, have a stiffer sole, and better traction than the Merrell's. Also, with just as much abuse, they haven't shown nearly the wear.

Every person has there own ideas, every foot has its comfort. Now you know both for me.
Dog is my co-pilot.

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Shoes

Post by azdesertfather » Apr 03 2009 10:56 pm

I've had some bad luck with hiking boots my last three tries. I had a couple of pair that lasted me for a really long time, I guess I got spoiled. Finally in frustration I started digging around online for recommendations, and found a site called consumersearch that combines reviews from Backpacker Magazine, Cabelas, Buzzillions, GearReview, Zappos, REI, and others. Here's what the recommended:

Lightweight hiking shoes: Hi-Tec V-Lite Radar II Event Low
Mid-cut hiking shoes for more ankle support: Keen Targhee II Mid
Lightweight hiking boots: Timberland Cadion Waterproof Mid Gore-Tex XCR
Heavy-duty leather backpacking boots: Kayland Vertigo High
Women's hiking boots: Lowa Banff Lady

Have been looking online for some Keen Targhee IIs, and OUCH! LITTLE pricey...

Thinking at this point to go Teva, which still aren't on the cheaper side, but I understand will be a good investment?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Shoes

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 04 2009 7:52 am

I guess I should start a new thread on this as it doesn't quite match the topic. That is the topic of the person for whom MOST BRANDS OF SHOES DO NOT MAKE MY SIZE. I'm in that boat. Size 10 and a half NARROW, 2A. I bought some New Balance light hiking boots on Zappo's, they fit ok. I bought a heavy pair of Vasque backpacking boots from Campmor that say they are my size on the label, but are too wide, so I have to put extra insoles into them. I get frustrated when people advise types of shoes to wear, because for me the challenge is finding a pair that fits. So few companies actually make my size, and even when they do, they are often still too wide. Recently I found a pair of Asics trailrunners. They are not too tough, but they do fit, even though they are off-the-rack from Sports Authority, size 10 medium width.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”