Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
gringoantonio
G pelli
City, State: Boise, ID

Camp Coffee

Post by gringoantonio » Nov 17 2010 6:35 pm

I'm looking for effective ways to make coffee for a few people while car camping. I'd like to avoid adding any bulky items to my camp kitchen.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but always camp with some and am hoping to get some feedback from HAZers on your preferred methods for making camp coffee while car camping or backpacking.

So far, I'm considering something along these lines:

http://www.amazon.com/Thai-filter-stain ... ikearizona

http://www.amazon.com/100-Finum-Filter- ... ikearizona

As for the second link, I was thinking I could just pierce a larger filter with a coat hanger or something similar and hang it in a pot of hot water...

Anyone ever tried either of these methods? How did you like the coffee?

Thanks!

ssk44
Explorerkopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: Camp Coffee

Post by ssk44 » Nov 17 2010 7:32 pm

I absolutely love this thing. Figuring out the correct amount of coffee takes some practice. Once you get it down, you'll be in love with it! It uses a #2 cone filter.

https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat= (Melitta Ready Set Joe)
Last edited by ssk44 on Nov 17 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 17 2010 7:33 pm

If you're a coffee snob, this definitely won't be for you... when I camp, I just use the Folgers coffee singles. They're like tea-bags but with coffee. It keeps things simple with no extra equipment. They're a little weak but if you use a couple per cup, they're pretty alright. And lets face it, even bad coffee is good when you're camping.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Nov 17 2010 7:34 pm

if you are a coffee snob, you might get by with starbuck's VIA packs. not old bisbee roasters by any stretch, but it is light.
:D

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Nov 17 2010 9:29 pm

I'm with Tough_Boots on this one. Simple, and pretty tasty if you use two and let `em sit longer than the instructions.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Nov 17 2010 10:00 pm

I can vouch for the Via. I'm a bit of a coffee snob but when camping I have suffered with Folgers ... tried Via on my canyon backpack this weekend and even though they are a bit more pricey I discovered they are worth the expense...it's about the closest thing to drip coffee that you can get out of instant!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

gringoantonio
G pelli
City, State: Boise, ID

Post by gringoantonio » Nov 17 2010 11:21 pm

ssk44 wrote:I absolutely love this thing. Figuring out the correct amount of coffee takes some practice. Once you get it down, you'll be in love with it! It uses a #2 cone filter.

https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat= (Melitta Ready Set Joe)
If you like that, you might love this:

http://www.rei.com/product/798277 (same idea, but folds flat)

It's something I considered. But then I figured making enough coffee with it for a group of people might take too long.

The Folgers coffee singles seem like an easier, pre-packaged version of what I'm considering. I think I'll just try the Thai coffee sock and see how it goes over.

I'd still love to hear feedback from anyone who's used a coffee sock or large tea bag for camp coffee. In addition any other ideas that work ...

skatchkins
D’Avy Crockettpelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Nov 18 2010 12:40 am

Brother-in-law brings a press with on every trip, car or away: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1548-01US-B ... ikearizona
Keeps the ground out of all but the last drops.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 18 2010 5:59 am

azdesertfather wrote:I can vouch for the Via. I'm a bit of a coffee snob but when camping I have suffered with Folgers ... tried Via on my canyon backpack this weekend and even though they are a bit more pricey I discovered they are worth the expense...it's about the closest thing to drip coffee that you can get out of instant!
Totally ditto.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Nov 18 2010 8:22 am

skatchkins wrote:Brother-in-law brings a press with on every trip
That is some serious good coffee! Basically coffee shop brew while camping. :D
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

Sarae
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Sarae » Nov 18 2010 12:39 pm

When car camping I like to bring a french press. You can get them made of plastic, and then pack the grounds and creamers inside the press so it is all in one neat, tidy package. I use Via on backpacking trips and bring along the little shelf stable creamers that you can find in the grocery stores now... it's pretty decent.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

johnlp
Roastapelli
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Nov 18 2010 12:48 pm

As a coffee geek (home roaster), I'd go with ssk44 and the Mellita pour over cone. Very light, only costs $3 and makes a great cup. The larger size cones can make enough coffee for a group.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

azhiker96
No Trace Kokopelli

Post by azhiker96 » Nov 19 2010 8:00 am

Hi johnlp, I'm on my second Freshroast plus 8. I wore out the first one.

For car camping I prefer my home roasted coffee with a french press. For backpacking I've made cowboy coffee like my great uncle Howard used to do. If you let the pot sit a minute you can get a nearly grounds free pour. I don't mind a few specs of grounds anyway when they're in a great cup of coffee. :y:

I'm not a big fan of Charbucks. They scorch their beans. I have tried their Via packs and thought they tasted pretty much like their coffee.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”