Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2011 1:05 pm

Inspired by the mexican food/pizza posts, I'm wondering about good places around AZ to grab a beer after a hike or backpack trip. The smaller/more obscure towns would be especially appreciated, because I'm used to only coming across only the cheap domestics at those places.
Some places I've stopped at post-hike:

Prescott- Prescott Brewery. The Petrified Porter is good, but their seasonal "Achocolypse" (which is Petrified Porter brewed with milk chocolate) is absolutely amazing.
Flagstaff- Lumberyard Brewery. Imperial Red was awesome.
Sedona- Oak Creek Brewery. Boo. Not a single redeeming quality here. Chicken quesadilla was mediocre, beer was watery.
Tucson- Nimbus Brewey- Though I love Old Monkeyshine from a bottle,it was twice as good on tap.

In Tempe we'll frequent Boulders on Broadway and Four Peaks after gym climbing. Actually, we're spoiled here in Tempe. Example: I live next to the most ghetto looking corner store ever, but upon walking in you'd think you're in a Total Wine.

Yardhouse would be a good place to hit on the way in town from the west. I suppose Rock Bottom from the northwest, though I wasn't impressed with any of their beers.

Any ideas? I'm particularly curious about the Payson area.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Best place to grab a post-hike craft beer

Post by te_wa » Apr 22 2011 2:13 pm

rimside grill in Pine. no crap on tap!
:D

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 22 2011 2:27 pm

I will say that Oak Creek Brewing in Sedona is actually a pretty good spot. As long as you go to the brewery and not the glorified tourist trap they have at Tlaquepaque. The brewery is in some warehouse district about a mile west of town. They only serve hot dogs for food, and it smells like a brewery. There's no polished brass or copper in this place! The locals go there and the staff is nice. They also have a nice patio and live music from time to time.

Of course a great spot in the valley is Papago Brewing because their 20 taps rotate constantly, and you can also get pretty much any bottle out of their cooler. They've just expanded so there's a whole new room with extra seating. The downside is most beers are $5.50, with only a daily special that is $4.50.

On a sidenote, Papago doesn't brew their own beer (though they do own the recipes). The Orange Blossom, Porter, and Irish Coffee Stout, are all brewed by ... wait for it .... Oak Creek Brewing in Sedona!

Taste of Tops is a beer/wine bar next to Tops Liquor that also has a rotating and wide variety of beers on tap from the store next door. Can't go wrong here either.
Highway to hell

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2011 2:32 pm

I'm a big fan of Tops and Taste of Tops.

I'm honestly not surprised that Oak Creek brews Papago's beers. I had their Irish Coffee Stout and the Coconut Porter. I had really, really high hopes for both and was disappointed that they were both thin and watery. This wasn't helped by the fact that they were served ICE cold on tap. Flavor wasn't bad, which bothered me because when you have a beer that good, why not work on the mouthfeel? But I agree Papago is a great spot!
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

sbkelley
Diligent Kokopelli
City, State: Reno, NV

Post by sbkelley » Apr 22 2011 2:51 pm

In Payson, let's see, I think the place is called Macky's Grill just off the Beeline Highway. We were coming back from a hike and stopped there, not bad at all. While no Four Peaks or Papago, has good food and I seem to remember there being more than the usual domestics there. Maybe someone local can set me straight.

Boulders and Four Peaks are certainly dangerous, post-PRG, aren't they? That's the best part of a climbing night

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Apr 22 2011 4:22 pm

I always stop in at the Arizona Italian American Club (12th St, just north of the Canal) for a post-hike Peroni, or three. I like the fact it is a *bar*, and does not put on airs. :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 22 2011 4:33 pm

I definitely second Taste of Tops and Boulders (and not just because both are in walking distance from my home). Also, if coming back to the valley from the eastern territories-- the Cornish Pasty Co. on Dobson and Guadalupe has a great beer selection and killer food (and is much less annoying than the Tempe location). Also, the new Mellow Mushroom on Mill has an amazing beer selection too-- that's if you can stomach stepping onto Mill Ave.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Apr 22 2011 5:16 pm

sbkelley wrote:Maybe someone local can set me straight
they usually serve kiltlifter and fat tire, on occasion sierra nevada PA. although, you'd have to stomach the foot stompin country music (well, it is a country themed place, iirc)
even better solution is to keep a cooler with craft beer in the truck.

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2011 11:05 pm

@sbkelley
Four Peaks is post-PRG, Boulders is post-Climbmax. I love both spots, though Boulders gives a pretty massive "climbing/REI" discount. Like 25% or something if you mention you were just out climbing.

@Tough_Boots
We must live close! The cornish pasty in Mesa also has a much better beer selection than the one here in Tempe. And I agree, the food is great! I've heard stories about the beer selection at Mellow Mushroom, though I've heard that the pizza is horrid. Makes me want to stick with Boulders :)

kwpapke
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by kwpapke » Apr 24 2011 1:32 pm

Tucson: must not overlook Barrio Brewery. The Tucson backpacker meetup group meets here alternately with Gentle Ben's (same owners/beerlist). Barrio has the best outdoor ambiance on their patio - bring your dog, cigar, smelly hiking clothes and quaff a cold one. Its automatic "happy hour" if you are outside when a train goes by, which is about every 30 minutes...
Youtube channel for gear testing: https://www.youtube.com/c/KurtPapke

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 24 2011 1:39 pm

kwpapke wrote:and quaff a cold one.
First ever use of the word "quaff" on HAZ... I checked. Nicely done, sir. :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

sbkelley
Diligent Kokopelli
City, State: Reno, NV

Post by sbkelley » Apr 25 2011 9:11 am

@azpride
25% discount at boulders if you mention climbing?? Don't mind if I do, thanks for the tip :) Wish there were something a little closer to Climbmax, but what can you do...

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Sep 15 2011 10:37 am

Just 'cause I look forward to it every year, and it's going to be early this year.

Monday, 9/19.
4 Peaks in Tempe, and the Grill & Tap in Scottsdale.

Select locations a week after that, and valleywide distribution in early October.
Highway to hell

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 15 2011 11:01 am

My house and Gentle Ben's in Tucson! :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 15 2011 3:12 pm

When I'm going to finish a hike out in the 'boonies' or anywhere in Utah, I always take my own beverages in the truck.

How 'bout Vermillion Cliffs .. nothing on tap, but have about 100 different bottled beers.
For out-of-the-way, 'never see it driving by', I'd nominate Nimbus in S. Tucson - their food is good also (for those who eat; whoever they are).
Obviously, I'll second the Rimside Grill in Pine - of special note are the prime rib sandwiches on Saturdays - add a green chile. "No Crap on Tap!"
The Roadhouse in Bellemont has some OUTSTANDING beers (about 30 taps).
I also like Uptown Billards in Flag, they have 25+ beers on tap with a very nice, eclectic selection - without all the hoopla found at B.S. & Lumberyard. No food.
And finally, if you are in SOUTH Tempe, check out Flanny's (s/e corner Elliot/McClintock). they have an ever-changing 14 beer selection - heavy on IPA's, but they DO waste a tap or two on that fizzy, yellow crap.
kurt

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Sep 15 2011 3:36 pm

yes! the Roadhouse.. taking the back way to Kendrick, from Havasu canyon, or Grand Canyon, then enjoying a post hike Arrogant Bastard and a West Coast IPA on tap while grilling your in store-purchased meat is quite a good time. and, its a museum of sorts, be you a grease monkey you'll love it there.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 16 2011 10:19 am

Stone makes a pumpkin?? :)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Sep 16 2011 10:48 am

there's also a new pub in Tempe Market place, the Thirsty Lion - ~35 tap handles and many of good quality.. here is current tap list:
Ambers, bocks
1. Alaskan Amber, Alaska
2. Fat Tire Amber Ale, Colorado
3. Oak Creek Amber, Arizona
4. Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Oregon
5. Shiner Bock, Texas
6. Boddingtons Cream Ale, England
Cider
1. Wyders Dry Pear Cider
Lagers
1. Kona Longboard Lager, Hawaii
2. Bud Light, Missouri
3. Coors Light, Colorado
4. Pabst Blue Ribbon, Wisconsin
5. Sam Adams Boston Lager, Massachusetts
Porters, Stouts and Browns
1. Deschutes Black Butte Porters, Oregon
2. Oskar Blues 10 Fifty Imperial Stout, Colorado
3. Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, Oregon
4. Guinness Stout, Ireland
5. Nimbus Nut Brown, Arizona
6. Newcastle Brown Ale, England
7. Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Oregon
IPAs
1. Bridgeport IPA, Oregon
2. Dogfish Head 60min IPA, Delaware
3. Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA, California
4. Four Peaks Hop Knot IPA, Arizona
5. Lumberyard Flagstaff IPA, Arizona
6. New Belgium Ranger IPA, Colorado
7. O'Dells IPA, Colorado
8. San Tan Hop Shock, Arizona
9. Sierra Nevada Torpedo, California
10. Stone Brewing IPA, California
Pale/stong Ales
Four Peaks 8th Street Ale
Deschutes Mirror Pond
Firestone Walker DBA
San Tan Devils Ale
Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Pala Ale
Stone Arrogant Bastard

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Sep 16 2011 11:03 am

te-wa - i don't think the lion opens before nov. 1st.

but i haven't been by there recently either. can you confirm/deny?
Highway to hell

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 16 2011 12:17 pm

Arrogant Pumpkin. I'll have to look for it!
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Food/Recipes”