Guns on trails in others' hand.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

What is your experience with guns on trails in the hands of others?

I have never seen a gun on a trail.
7%
I have seen a holstered gun on a trail and didn't care.
61%
I have seen a holstered gun on a trail and felt threatened.
3%
I have seen unholstered weapons on a trail and was not bothered.
15%
I have seen unholstered weapons on a trail that were not aimed at me, but felt threatened.
No votes
I have seen weapons on a trail that were aimed at me on accident.
1%
I have seen weapons on a trail that were aimed at me on purpose.
4%
I have been shot at while hiking.
10%
I have been shot while hiking.
No votes
I have been hiking and someone in my group was fatally shot.
No votes

Total votes: 103

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Guns on trails in others' hand.

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 28 2011 3:57 pm

So, on the infamous militia thread, there was the following comment:
Snick33 wrote:Small Genitals, Big Egos
It seems like some people don't have or don't see a need for weapons on the trail. That's fine. Some people carry all the time, even in their own home. That's fine too. I am just wondering about blanket statements like this, or similar ones from the pro-carry side that seem to imply that the unarmed are fools. Perhaps there is a motivation behind the reason to carry or not carry. I thought I'd post a poll because it seems like there are a lot of opinions on the matter.

I'm hoping for some explanations to the selections, but that is optional. When I say "hiking", I mean recreational hiking, not working as a backcountry FS LE, NPS LE, BP officer, sheriff, military, etc. I mean going out into the forest or the desert to enjoy a hike. This is also for personal experiences, not friend-of-a-friend type deals. You can chose as many as you want, since you may have been in several different situations. You can change your vote, because maybe tomorrow something will change.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Re: Guns on trails in others' hand.

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 28 2011 4:20 pm

I've never felt threatened by people carrying handguns while hiking, and based on comments I've read on HAZ or conversions I've had in person with gun-carriers, I think that most gun-carriers are responsible and level-headed people and would only user their firearm in extreme circumstances.

However, I did work with a guy who was a periodic hiker that would talk about going on full-moon hikes and being concerned about "being f***ed with" while he was out. He would talk about taking multiple guns with him, especially if he was going with others who were not gun-carriers, so he could "out-fit" them with a gun regardless of their shooting experience. It also sounded commonplace for him to go night-hiking while toting an AK-47. Yet another co-worker of mine went backpacking on Kendrick Peak with his roommate, who insisted on bringing a shotgun as well as an AK-47 "in case they ran into any bears". People with these borderline paranoid attitudes are out there doing recreational hikes, and I certainly hope I don't happen to "surprise" one of them on a trail some day.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Apr 28 2011 4:22 pm

I'm glad all the bad scary peoples aren't allowed in the outdoors! :scared:
Or their dogs.

On a related note I was contacted by a FS LEO regarding my Fish Creek happening
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau » Apr 28 2011 4:48 pm

skatchkins wrote:On a related note I was contacted by a FS LEO regarding my Fish Creek happening
O RLY? :wrt:

OnN the subject at hand, at least a few people here know my take on firearms on the trail. I carry, always will, and have learned to not really care what others think about it. I've already had two cases where I have had to fire rounds in the wilderness (one time with a fellow hiker, the other time BECAUSE of that same hiker, hehe) but have been fortunate enough not to have to shoot AT anything or anyone. Contrary to some of the more common thoughts about gun owners, I have no desire to change that. If I go to my own grave without ever having to put bullet to flesh, I'll have died a happy man. :)

I do, however, catch myself trying to be at least slightly discreet when carrying. Last time I was up in the Mazatzals I felt myself trying to stand with my reaction side towards people so that their stares didn't end up on the gun on my other hip. Even though I'm comfortable carrying, I realize some people may not be comfortable seeing it and will often make some effort to obscure it if I think that might be the case.

skatchkins

Post by skatchkins » Apr 28 2011 4:54 pm

Thoreau wrote: I do, however, catch myself trying to be at least slightly discreet when carrying. Last time I was up in the Mazatzals I felt myself trying to stand with my reaction side towards people so that their stares didn't end up on the gun on my other hip. Even though I'm comfortable carrying, I realize some people may not be comfortable seeing it and will often make some effort to obscure it if I think that might be the case.
This is actually the reason I got my CCW (back when it was a real thing).
Although when I'm alone in the middle of nowhere, I don't mind them knowing.
Armchair Crisis Design

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Apr 28 2011 5:01 pm

skatchkins wrote:
Thoreau wrote: I do, however, catch myself trying to be at least slightly discreet when carrying. Last time I was up in the Mazatzals I felt myself trying to stand with my reaction side towards people so that their stares didn't end up on the gun on my other hip. Even though I'm comfortable carrying, I realize some people may not be comfortable seeing it and will often make some effort to obscure it if I think that might be the case.
This is actually the reason I got my CCW (back when it was a real thing).
I do have a CCW permit still as well (and always will) but for hiking, OC is just sooo much more comfortable (and practical.) My chunky *** would NOT fare well with a full frame handgun tucked into my waistband with the movement involved in hiking =) Quicker draw is also another reason I prefer OC most of the time. I have seen the occasional hiker out there though carrying (poorly?) concealed. One guy hiking Flatiron had a nice 1911 mostly concealed. Only saw it because he was heading down at the part near the top while I was heading up. Being a gun person myself, I was the only person in my group who noticed that though.

skatchkins

Post by skatchkins » Apr 28 2011 5:08 pm

True. I guess I mostly mean places with your aforementioned park signs or extreme-use trails. I'll slip my conceal holster from my belt to my pocket for comfort-ability.
Armchair Crisis Design

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Apr 28 2011 5:26 pm

1) Who in their right mind would leave a weapon on the trail in the dirt? But you probably meant someone carrying a weapon while hiking or standing on the trail.
2) Many times. I wouldn't say I always didn't care. Sometimes we talk about it. The most memorable was a guy at the Reavis South TH with a very nice Colt 1911 who had worked the flightdeck on the Gold Eagle.
3) It wasn't on a trail, but late one night at a convenience store there was this big biker dude with a hand cannon strapped down his leg and obviously drunk (or stoned).
4) On one trail there were these 3 young males with what looked like 9mm's tucked into their belts. I didn't feel threatened, but I was concerned that they were going to pull a "Plaxico". I'm not racist so I can say this - this is one of two definitions for a "Mexican Holster".

With my backpackers holster, you probably wouldn't even know I was Carrying. (dead link removed)
I have a friend with a nice Eberlestock. Great backpacks for weapons. You would definitely know that he was packing (dead link removed)
I carry a gun because I'm too old and feeble to carry a cop.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 28 2011 5:38 pm

I definitely used to be more paranoid about firearms and never saw hikers carry them when I lived in Georgia. When I first moved to AZ and began seeing them on a fairly frequent basis, it worried me some. Then I researched, talked to more gun owners, and shot a few different types of guns. Now I'm comfortable, respectful, and supportive of them unless I see someone doing something stupid. As far as worrying about someone carrying in the backcountry goes: well, if someone or something out there wants to hurt you-- it doesn't take a gun.

Here's another question since so many are split on this issue and have different comfort levels: what's the proper etiquette for carrying when hiking with people you might not know all that well? For instance, on a hike organized on HAZ. Should it be announced to the group or mentioned beforehand? I would assume if you are carpooling with someone, it's proper to let the driver know that you are carrying?
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Apr 28 2011 5:47 pm

skatchkins wrote:This is actually the reason I got my CCW (back when it was a real thing).
The CCW still is a real thing. I just paid the $43 and renewed mine. Pretty easy now that we don't have to take refresher courses or re-qualify. If I do have to defend myself, I want it known that I am a conscientious, knowledgeable citizen, not some untrained idiot. Ask most any Criminal Defense Attorney and they will tell you it should be a positive thing in defense.
Agreed.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Apr 28 2011 5:47 pm

If carpooling, I'd certainly ask ahead of time. Other than that, as you saw first hand, I say let them find out when they find out =)

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Apr 28 2011 5:52 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:Here's another question since so many are split on this issue and have different comfort levels: what's the proper etiquette for carrying when hiking with people you might not know all that well? For instance, on a hike organized on HAZ. Should it be announced to the group or mentioned beforehand? I would assume if you are carpooling with someone, it's proper to let the driver know that you are carrying?
The proper etiquette? Don't shoot them unless you have to. Don't shoot them unless you can't outrun them, and then only ding them enough so that it looks like the bear got them. :o You know, this is probably why I hike alone so much. :-k

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 28 2011 5:53 pm

@Al_HikesAZ

:sl:
--bill callahan

skatchkins

Post by skatchkins » Apr 28 2011 6:23 pm

Tough_Boots wrote: I would assume if you are carpooling with someone, it's proper to let the driver know that you are carrying?
I think etiquette dictates bringing a gun for yourself on trips is like chewing gum in class ;)
I guess I should get a head count for my vehicle
Armchair Crisis Design

supai

Post by supai » Apr 28 2011 9:28 pm

I carry and like others I kind of try to hide it a bit. Some people will be talking to you all nice and notice and things change but I am a completely nice guy and would never fire on someone unless it was just absolutely unavoidable. The main reason I carry it is for a rabid animal or something trying to attack me which is unlikely but you never know and I would rather have it that not. It is kind of funny though I spend all this money on lightweight stuff and then stick this gun in and bam all the weight savings is gone oh well. hahaha

DarthStiller

Post by DarthStiller » Apr 28 2011 11:51 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:they were going to pull a "Plaxico"
Wait a minute, they deliberately fell down before someone got a chance to tackle them? :sl:

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 29 2011 3:48 am

I have brought a gun when I was guiding group trips and not said a word to the group. I have several times brought one when going into a known rabies area in the Blue PA. The trail crew chief for that area told me a harrowing tale of a rabid fox in his camp (and USFS employees such as trail crew can't carry a firearm) and he suggested I have a gun handy. So I did. Saw no rabid foxes, and no one was the wiser, but I knew I could shoot a rabid fox if I had to, because I had the .38.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » May 01 2011 11:23 pm

Years ago, I was climbing at Sven Slab in the McDowells when some yahoos started shooting nearby - I yelled at them to knock it off. I don't think it was legal to shoot there, but either way, it was throwing off my concentration. They stopped shortly after, but when I got back to my truck I saw that they had peeled off my John Kerry sticker and replaced it with a NRA sticker - oh well, could have been worse! LOL.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » May 03 2011 11:09 am

Yet another example of why I hike armed:

(dead link removed)

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » May 03 2011 11:37 am

@Thoreau

That canyon looks beautiful. Does anyone know if the cartels are taking interns? ;)
--bill callahan

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”