Hiking with "tunes"...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Hiking with "tunes"...

Post by pencak » Mar 10 2010 10:55 pm

Maybe I'm weird or some kind of old pre-electronic dinosaur but I find it strange all the people I see when I'm hiking that have earbuds on listening to music. To me, walking on the trail and listening to the same sounds that were around 500+ years ago in the same area seems natural. You're walking in nature and avoiding the enjoyment of hearing the natural surroundings? You miss stuff like the fact that Cadydid's make noise when you get within a specific distance from them and some birds warn when they see you approach, along with the relaxing sound of water, etc.

I'm not really trying to rip on it or anything, it just seems out of place to me. Listening to music while you're hiking.

Perhaps this topic has been covered before but I was wondering what everybody thought about this.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Re: Hiking with "tunes"...

Post by cactuscat » May 09 2011 4:44 pm

I have hiked with music exactly twice. I love silence and the sounds of nature ... pretty much all the same reasons other people have named.
I also think that people wearing earbuds everywhere, all the time, is a sign of the decline of society! Lol. Really though - you can't even attempt to have a conversation, or just say a friendly "hi" to anyone anymore.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » May 09 2011 4:50 pm

cactuscat wrote:I also think that people wearing earbuds everywhere, all the time, is a sign of the decline of society!
I agree. Its just a way for people to filter out what they don't like. If we can ignore something, we'll never really think about it-- let alone help change it.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » May 10 2011 6:53 pm

Sometimes I'll play music, sometimes I won't. Personally, certain music enhances my time outdoors and makes it more enjoyable. Other times the sound of the breeze will do just fine. None of that max volume crap either, just a subtle background soundtrack.

survivalhike

Post by survivalhike » May 13 2011 9:40 am

I'll agree with the last few people that the "music" of the trail is in itself pretty nice. It's funny but you really have to get away from the headphones and pay attention to hear the sounds and things you are supposed to on a trail. It's quite at first, because we are used to louder things in the advanced world. It requires a person to listen carefully in the beginning, but after a while once you get used to the softness of natural sounds, they all seem to get a little bit louder, and you can hear more things that you never had a chance of hearing at first. The forest was silent for me until I was forced to part ways with my ipod, then I started hearing what I was meant to hear, and now I wont hike with music anymore either...that and the mountain lion thing I explained earlier. lol

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 13 2011 10:34 am

Alston doesn't hike with headphones on. He likes the meowing he hears in the wild...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » May 13 2011 10:41 am

@azbackpackr
:sl: Oh my goodness, you know me too well.
Well besides the fact I enjoy the peace and quiet, most importantly I want to be able to hear that rattler lurking by the trail... :scared:
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » May 13 2011 10:45 am

Mountains speak and wise men listen. John Muir
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » May 13 2011 11:21 am

azbackpackr wrote:Alston doesn't hike with headphones on. He likes the meowing he hears in the wild...
:sl: Here kitty, kitty, kitty.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 13 2011 11:51 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote:Mountains speak and wise men listen. John Muir
That may be schizophrenia. What are these mountains telling you to do?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » May 13 2011 12:34 pm

Jim_H wrote:
"Whenever I hear the sparrow chirping, watch the woodpecker chirp, catch a chirping trout, or listen to the sad howl of the chirp rat, I think: Oh boy! I'm going insane again." Jack Handey
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

SkyIslander18
City, State: Small Town USA

Post by SkyIslander18 » May 13 2011 12:49 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
Jim_H wrote:
"Whenever I hear the sparrow chirping, watch the woodpecker chirp, catch a chirping trout, or listen to the sad howl of the chirp rat, I think: Oh boy! I'm going insane again." Jack Handey
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handey

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » May 14 2011 6:31 pm

I usually don't listen to tunes on the trail preferring to listen to the nature sounds all around me or conversing with my hiking companions. I do bring my MP3 player on backpack trips and only listen to it in my tent.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Return to “Hiking 101”