Water Filters?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
evenstarx3
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Water Filters?

Post by evenstarx3 » Jul 21 2002 2:31 pm

Got an REI gift card from my kid for my B-day and thinking of getting a water filter. Suggestions please?
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli
http://members.tripod.com/~evenstar/
http://www.arizonahikers.com/
"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Water Filters?

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 06 2011 9:47 am

A fellow hiker had the pen on my recent GC Pt. Huitzil adventure. It worked fine, as far as I could tell.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 06 2011 12:58 pm

RachelT uses the UV steri-pen and likes it. I've had trouble with the Katadyn myself, though, I do like it-- not sure why... the quick release for the hoses on the newer generation definitely helps stop wear and tear on the connecting pieces you used to have to yank off with force. The last time I replaced mine, the actual filter piece was faulty. Either the charcoal was crushed up to small or it was missing some type of screen inside-- black chunks would come out no matter how many times I used it. It was a total pain.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Nov 06 2011 3:06 pm

please note what is required for Chlorine Dioxide (sodium chlorite) to do its business.. the package states that the water has to be treated for 4 hours. further investigation shows that this is true in the worst cases, ie very cold water, very stagnant/anaerobic water. (a disclaimer if i ever heard one)
it also says it kills viruses on contact, bacteria in 30 minutes, protozoa like cryptosporidium in 4 hours IF the prior conditions exist.

i have been using micropur for 4 years. i wait between 20 and 30 minutes for consumption, at half dosage. It has been discovered that AquaMira drops are 1/3 as strong as the tablets, so by using half dosage I'm still a good % above recommendation, all things considered.

one thing you may find mildy "astonishing" is that regular samples of tap water can contain giardia cysts, moreso than samplings of running streams regardless of location. (sources of this info are from micropur, backpacker magazine, an AZ state hydrologist, and a chemical engineer that i chatted w/ via email)
:D

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 06 2011 3:47 pm

One thing I do a lot is just dip and boil, if I happen to be cooking or making coffee, and skip the rest. You don't have to boil it very long to kill it all.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Nov 08 2011 2:09 pm

@te-wa
What you say is so true. I mostly worry about water quality where a lot of people are messing around in the water.
I work with folks who do a lot of water quality testing, and it is shocking what is in the water we drink every day, yet don't get sick.
All told, I'm probably drinking at least 50% cleaner water while backpacking than I am at home... :sl:

azbackpackr
I def used the boiling method for most of my around-camp water - worked great.
However, I don't like to carry a tremendous amount of extra fuel along, so that kinda limits that method for me.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Nov 08 2011 2:22 pm

^well, water filter companies (and BOTTLED water companies, who started and maintain the 'hype') would not make much $$$ if they told us all the water is clean!
now, if i could just get out of this dirty air.. that is the pending issue.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Nov 08 2011 2:52 pm

I just started using the Sawyer to great effect...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 08 2011 3:15 pm

I'm pretty happy with my sawyer as well although I haven't used it on any multi day trips. Can't beat 3.5 ounces. :D
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Nov 08 2011 4:29 pm

I carry both Aqua-Mira drops and a Frontier Pro Filter - total weight about 4 oz. I am thus armed for clear OR cloudy/turbid water.
( dead link removed )
Although I just hiked Grandview to Hermit last week with numerous side-canyon hikes and never treated any of the water - with no ill-effects.

The directions for the drops are (you can double the dosage to halve the time and vise-versa):
AQUAMIRA WATER TREATMENT
Directions For Use:
1) Prior to treatment, clean water container.
2) Place 7 drops AQUAMIRA (Part A) and 7 drops Activator (Part B) in mixing cap. If water is cloudy or tinted use 15 drops of each.
3) Let mixture react 5 minutes.
4) Fill container with 1 quart (1 liter) water. Add contents of cap.
5) Shake to mix. Let stand 15 minutes. If water is very cold, cloudy or tinted let stand 30 minutes.
6) Water is ready for use.
Last edited by hikeaz on Nov 08 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 08 2011 4:48 pm

I'm a First Need fan, in spite of the weight.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Nov 08 2011 7:01 pm

I love my Sweetwater. Easy and fast if it gets clogged. It is a little heavy, but not as heavy as water.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 08 2011 8:46 pm

hikeaz wrote:I just hiked Grandview to Hermit last week with numerous side-canyon hikes and never treated any of the water - with no ill-effects.
You might want to be careful around Monument and Horn Creeks. Especially Monument, because fecal matter from settling ponds up on the rim is known to percolate down to Monument.

BEEBEE
City, State: Mesa AZ

Post by BEEBEE » Nov 09 2011 6:31 am

I have a MSR Miniworks EX that I have used for a few years now. It works well and is easy to clean. I also have a MIOX that I use for a back up and to treat the water after filtering when the source is questionable.
"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."

autumnstars

Post by autumnstars » Nov 09 2011 8:19 am

Gonna look into the Aquamira drops. Loved the convenience of using the tablets, except for the long wait time. Will have to keep thinking about a new filter - it's hard not to go back to what you know, even if it broke your heart.

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Nov 09 2011 11:11 am

autumnstars wrote: Loved the convenience of using the tablets, except for the long wait time.
keep in mind the AM drops are 1/3 as potent as the MP pills. this came directly from a rep at MicroPur/Katadyn
if anything, the pills take less time.. immediately erasing the 5 min. you have to mess around with drops.. try mixing aquamira when it's 20 degrees out.. just sayin'

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 585#431585 read Lance's post about his info found from Aquamira's chemical engineer. here's the skinny: on the liquid mix.. it was tested in POTABLE WATER! and the tablets were tested in more far exceeding real-world conditions, EPA type II water. The only reason the wait times vary is because of the testing methods. for aquamira, the liguid drops and the tablets are about the same concentration/strength. pay special attention to this quote: "Keep in mind that in very few cases would anyone encounter water sources that are even remotely close in difficulty to treat as EPA Type II water."

but like i said, Micropur is 66% stronger than aquamira, so i use a half-dosage.

autumnstars

Post by autumnstars » Nov 09 2011 7:31 pm

@te-wa
Thanks for sharing the link. Very informative.
Sounds like the real difference between tablets and liquid is legal labeling (and therefore treatment instructions).

Return to “Hydration & Purification”