REALLY Warm boots?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Cheerycow
City, State: Tucson, AZ

REALLY Warm boots?

Post by Cheerycow » Jan 13 2012 9:57 am

I searched and didn't find any specific Thread on boots that will keep one's feet truly warm. I don't mean warm when hiking, I mean warm when sitting around for hours. I like to stargaze so that means sitting still, no fire, etc. I am looking for suggestions. I have some Columbia Ice breaker boots that were supposed to fit the bill but last time out (in the high 20's) mt tootsies were frozen. A guide I read on one retail site suggested that 1000-2000 grams of thinsulate would be needed but I couldn't find any boots with any more than about 400g. Even the McMurdos from The North Face fall into the 400-500g realm. It would be nice if they were suitable for hiking 4-5 miles but that is not essential...I'd carry them and wear my regular boots for hiking if I had to.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Cheerycow on Jan 13 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: REALLY Warm boots?

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 13 2012 10:10 am

I have Sorel boots that are rated to -20degrees Fahrenheit. I've been to -13 and they kept my feet warm & dry. I wear a sock liner and a winterweight sock & snow gators. Sorel makes some boots that are rated to -40degrees. I think mine are the Timberwolf and I don't think they make this model anymore.

If you are looking for something for sitting around, have you looked at down booties?
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jan 13 2012 10:26 am

If you are just going to be sitting i'd suggest the Mountain Hardwear (or maybe TNF, Sierra Design or Outdoor Research) down booties. They are light enough that you won't even know that they are in your pack. I'd also suggest a change of socks when you get to your 'sittin' spot' - it'll help with keeping your feet dry, and therefore warmer.
You should be able to find a pair online for under $25.
Here is an example >> http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s/down-booties/
OR REI's >> http://www.rei.com/product/804528/rei-d ... erralID=NA
kurt

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 13 2012 11:00 am

hikeaz wrote:If you are just going to be sitting ...
I'll take that step further. Most really warm boots don't seem well suited to walking long distances, IMO.

Cheerycow

Post by Cheerycow » Jan 13 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for all of the replies!

My suspicion has been that as Big Load says, really warm boots are not going to be good for any real distance with a heavy pack.
I DO have a pair of older Mtn Hardware down booties and for situations when I am sitting 10-20 feet away from my tent they are probably a good solution. But, there are times when I want to move about more and still have warm feet. The booties have no support, no real traction, etc. Often times, my stargazing in the mountains sees me moving around various areas that have some relief and involve some rock scrambling (to see different parts of the sky, get away from different trees that hamper the view, etc.) that would not be wise to tackle in booties so I really would prefer a true boot.

I have looked a bit at the Sorels but have seen conflicting reviews on their effectiveness. (Apparently, the temp ratings one sees are for when one is hiking, not sitting...and that makes a huge difference.)

And yes, dry socks are essential. I switch out on a regular basis to guarantee dryness.
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jan 13 2012 1:24 pm

I use Neos insulated overboots... walkable, great traction... waterproof... and they allow you to wear either a lightweight or insulated boot inside. They slip on/off with ease. Warm comes from dead air space... loose fit is warmer than tight fit.

The overboots also serve for snow, just a step down from snowshoes... and can be worn with snowshoes...

Neos non-insulated are great for snow and mud and water....
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jan 14 2012 10:57 am

I think that you should be looking more into a warm sock other than a warm boot. I think that a boot with 400g would be sufficient enough as long as you wear a good boot liner and a good pair of wool socks.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 14 2012 11:37 am

I'm with imike on this one. Having worked outdoors in MN in the winter, I found that overshoes are incredible. I just wore tennis shoes underneath and even in -40, my feet never got cold, and since they were rubber, they never got wet. Since I didn't bulk up inside, my feet never "sweated" either. I don't remember the brand I had, but they were zip up, rubber overshoes. When you're just sitting, you can just slip them on over your regular boots....They were also fleece lined...
Last edited by outdoor_lover on Jan 14 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Jan 14 2012 5:17 pm

Being a native Minnesotan, I used to spend a lot of time sitting out on the frozen lakes, ice fishing. (I have since wised up and now spend my winters in AZ). kevinweitzel75 hit the nail on the head when recommending warm socks. Layering is as important to cold weather footwear as to the rest of your upper clothing.

A thin, non-absorbing, sock should be worn next to the skin to allow perspiration to pass through to a bulky outer layer(s). Beyond that, the boot can be of a medium weight with a windproof outer shell but able to accommodate a good quality felt liner. If it's going to be wet, then the boot should be waterproof, if not, keep the boot only as heavy (and bulky) as you want to pack. The boot size should be a minimum of one size larger than your normal shoe size to accommodate the additional socks without compressing the stocking material.

I found a hiking sock called "Smart Wool" that has good bulk yet does not (resists) compress. This stocking works really good for hiking, but has been a preferred footwear during the cold snaps too.

Enjoy your stargazing :y:
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Cheerycow

Post by Cheerycow » Jan 17 2012 8:50 am

Thanks so much for all the feedback. Methinks I will:

>update my socks (and layer the thin polypro socks under the woolies), switch out often to dry socks
>check out the overboot approach
>layer up sooner (I often find I wait too long to put on the gear that I have brought along)

I appreciate it!

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”