Black Mesa (Kayenta) Geology

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Black Mesa (Kayenta) Geology

Post by Jim_H » Jan 17 2012 9:43 am

Does anyone know some of the layers, or where I could find an easy reference guide to the layers of Black Mesa, especially what can be seen above Kayenta, and not at all around the coal mines. I'd really like to know what I am hiking on, when I hike the trail, and walking on when on the top. Some of the layers are quite odd, and some are the typical sandstone you get everywhere out here. They make a big deal about the layers at the Grand Canyon, and to a lesser extent, in Sedona, but what about elsewhere?
Are you ready for some women's volleyball!?!? Some Monday night women's volleyball!!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Black Mesa (Kayenta) Geology

Post by chumley » Jan 17 2012 10:00 am

I don't think I'll have time today, but sometime this week I should be able to walk over to the map library and look up some information for you. There are some really interesting and detailed geologic maps on file here at ASU. I'll let you know what I find.
Profound observer

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jan 17 2012 10:55 am

The rocks of Black Mesa span from the jurassic San Rafael Group into the cretaceous Mesa Verde Group, but I can't find any good online resources on them. Jim, you really need to get Baar's "Traveler's Guide to the Geology of the Colorado Plateau": http://hikearizona.com/books.php?REV=1&ID=1070
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jan 17 2012 4:52 pm

There are some good geology books at the visitor center at Marble Canyon that you can look thru to see what you would like to get. And maps too...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

chumley

Post by chumley » Feb 03 2012 1:45 pm

Jim, I finally remembered to go check this out at the library. Instead of littering this thread with uploads, I just created a photoset/triplog with everything in it.
Check it out here:
http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=18602
Profound observer

chumley

Post by chumley » Feb 07 2012 3:29 pm

There's also a book called "Geology of the Kayenta and Chilchinbito Quadrangles" published in 1965 by the USGS. It's available in the ASU library, and I found a copy of it online. It's only ~35 pages. Easy and educational reading. The book in the library has some maps not included here, but not much that isn't shown in the photoset I posted.

Happy reading!
Attachments
geology.pdf
(721.74 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Profound observer

Return to “Geology”