Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ASUAviator
TruckQuadChickapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What do you do for a living??

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 15 2013 5:41 pm

I couldnt help but wonder what everyone does for a living. It seems like some of go out every other day and I get envious of whatever job it is you have. lol. If youre retired, props to you. Can't wait for my day :oplz:

Im currently a grade checker for a construction company moving dirt mon-fri. The career goal is to hopefully become an air traffic controller. Its a long process but im on my way.

So what do you do?
Last edited by ASUAviator on Aug 05 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Re: What do you do for a living??

Post by Jim_H » Feb 15 2013 5:56 pm

I'm an aluminum foil salesman. I give public demonstrations by wrapping my otherwise nude body in the material, and rolling around on the ground shouting loudly about how wonderful the product is and how I can barely feel the hot asphalt. It is a great product for use on the BBQ or in the over.
Last edited by Jim_H on Jun 05 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 15 2013 6:25 pm

I am a biologist/paleontologist turned high school science teacher. I enjoy my job most of the time but dislike the town I live in currently and miss having a job that kept me outdoors.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Feb 15 2013 6:31 pm

I'm a physical terrorist--ah therapist. Orthopaedic. I hope to hang up my hat in about 5 years and hit the trails/travel full time as possible.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Feb 15 2013 6:32 pm

Aw, CG isn't bad. It's on my short list, depending on where I could land a job.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 15 2013 6:49 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:I am a biologist/paleontologist turned high school science teacher. I enjoy my job most of the time but dislike the town I live in currently and miss having a job that kept me outdoors.
Folks, we need to get Rob back into the field doing what he does best! :worthy:
We know the kids love him as a teacher but I can't wait to see his new handle on HAZ when he lands the job of his dreams. :y:

As for me I am a retired Computer Customer Engineer and worked for a lot of companies that no longer exist.
Would you believe the oldest computer (DEC) I worked on had only 1K of memory (12 bit word) and the power supply was so heavy it took two of us to lift it. :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 15 2013 7:24 pm

I'm an Animal Control Field Officer on medical leave. I hoped to retire at this job, but don't think that's going to happen. They say the average longevity of an ACO is 8-10 years. I understand why although I had hoped that I could persevere and make it. I've seen and experienced enough in the last 8 years to last a lifetime... ;) Still hope to finish my working career outside, since after 20+ years of doing so, I still love it.... :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Feb 15 2013 8:16 pm

I count stuff for Walmart.

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Feb 15 2013 8:22 pm

I'm a medical practice administrator (fancy name for an office manager) for an orthopedic surgeon in the East Valley.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 15 2013 8:27 pm

I currently do residential construction/restoration (hanging drywall and painting mostly). Before that I was a pizza cook, and before that a pizza delivery driver. However, I hope soon to land a tour guide or park ranger job as I am currently not using my bachelors of science degree in geography.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

LittleKnee
Kyle's Kokopelli
City, State: Henderson, NV

Post by LittleKnee » Feb 15 2013 8:31 pm

Nice forum topic Kyle I've always wondered the same thing. . . pretty jealous of some of these lucky HAZers that get out every day!

And BTW: I'm going to graduate school in Vegas to be an Occupational Therapist. I CANNOT wait to get back to AZ when I graduate in about a year and a half!
It is easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top. - Henry Ward Beecher

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Feb 15 2013 8:32 pm

I'm a Technical Support manager (adult babysitter over a bunch of technodweebs)
SuperstitionGuy wrote: the oldest computer (DEC) I worked on had only 1K of memory (12 bit word) and the power supply was so heavy it took two of us to lift it.
I'm not that old, the first DEC I worked on/with and 4k memory, but the 10 megabyte Hard Drive required a forklift to move, then there was the issue of re-calibrating the read heads...
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Feb 15 2013 8:53 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:I am a biologist/paleontologist turned high school science teacher. I enjoy my job most of the time but dislike the town I live in currently and miss having a job that kept me outdoors.
I miss you not having that other job too... like the condor counting and dam guiding.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Feb 15 2013 8:54 pm

hippiepunkpirate wrote:I currently do residential construction/restoration (hanging drywall and painting mostly). Before that I was a pizza cook, and before that a pizza delivery driver. However, I hope soon to land a tour guide or park ranger job as I am currently not using my bachelors of science degree in geography.
could have sure used your paint skills this past week :sweat: . I hope you get that other job too. You studied hard for it.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Feb 15 2013 8:56 pm

paulhubbard wrote:I'm a Technical Support manager (adult babysitter over a bunch of technodweebs)

I'm not that old, the first DEC I worked on/with and 4k memory, but the 10 megabyte Hard Drive required a forklift to move, then there was the issue of re-calibrating the read heads...
now I read that as red heads, :lol:

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Feb 15 2013 9:16 pm

tibber wrote:now I read that as red heads
That was in my younger years... :o :D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

brougham86
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale AZ

Post by brougham86 » Feb 15 2013 9:36 pm

high school economics/government teacher soon to be replaced by automata

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Feb 15 2013 9:38 pm

Good topic! I've wondered, myself.
I am a retail manager ... pretty lame job that somehow landed me in the place of my dreams ... Always wanted to be a Park Ranger, but aside from the sexy uniform and such, the main thing I wanted was to live and work here - so it all worked out. :)
Last edited by cactuscat on Feb 15 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where is the "dislike" button?

no avatar
----
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ---- » Feb 15 2013 10:10 pm

Not sure if this is a unique perspective on this topic, but I basically don't give a :pk: what any of you do. To me, part of the idea of getting out and hiking with new people is to get away from the every day norm, work and such, leave that crap behind, and see what the mountains think of us. The mountains don't care what we do, and I don't either. My interest is in getting to know a person as an individual regardless of occupation, and what better way to really get to know a person than to get out on a tough hike and really learn about someone's personality without pre-judgments. Do a few tough hikes with me, gain my admiration and respect, and then I'll start being curious. Even after that point I'll never ask anything about your occupation unless you want to talk about it because I'm assuming you're hiking to escape that aspect of your life if even for a few hours. There are a few HAZers I really like and have hiked with and have no idea what they do, and I honestly don't care because in the mountains it just doesn't matter. Does that make sense?

ASUAviator
TruckQuadChickapelli

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 15 2013 11:05 pm

Makes plenty of sense. But at the same time, not all are like you. I for one am typically not a social hiker. Its that seperation from the city, my cell phone, and other people that really allow me to get to know the mountains. And where they get to know me. So knowing what somebody does for an occupation makes no difference either way.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”