Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ASUAviator
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What do you do for a living??

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 15 2013 5:41 pm

I couldnt help but wonder what everyone does for a living. It seems like some of go out every other day and I get envious of whatever job it is you have. lol. If youre retired, props to you. Can't wait for my day :oplz:

Im currently a grade checker for a construction company moving dirt mon-fri. The career goal is to hopefully become an air traffic controller. Its a long process but im on my way.

So what do you do?
Last edited by ASUAviator on Aug 05 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
----

Re: What do you do for a living??

Post by ---- » Feb 15 2013 11:38 pm

ASUAviator wrote:But at the same time, not all are like you. I for one am typically not a social hiker
Not a social hiker here either dude, that's for Meetup groups, but I prefer to have at least one other person for my offtrail hikes for safety reasons. To each his own, blah blah blah. Let's do a hike one day!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 15 2013 11:42 pm

It doesn't matter to me what anybody does either. But I am still curious to know sometimes. I met a guy once who was retired and hikes all the time with no financial concern in the world. He was like 40-something. I was very interested in how he managed to set himself up like that. Though it didn't actually "matter" to me. Sharing experiences is part of life and learning. It's the premise that makes HAZ what it is.

I make books. There's no such thing as "ASU Press" because they don't let me call it that, but that's what I do.
Highway to hell

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Feb 16 2013 7:01 am

I'm glad I get to sometimes hike with a guy who is a doctor.....he learns me good stuff ;) ....and if I get hurt he can run fast for help :) . I count other people's money...my ultimate job was teaching little ninja's but it got too political for me and I got feed up with it :roll:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Feb 16 2013 7:10 am

I finally retired after a lifetime of working with Electronics, computers, controls, packaging machinery and 24 years of Military Service. I figured that it (retirement) was owed to me for NEVER having to collect on UNEMPLOYMENT.
ASUAviator wrote: If youre retired, props to you. Can't wait for my day
Please do wait for the day. Retirement only means I'm older and unable to do the things I used to do. In reality, I envy you.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 16 2013 8:15 am

I wish I could tell you what I do now. And I really wish I could tell you what I used to do. But this Witness Protection Program has strict rules. just kidding - but please don't turn me in for the reward :sl:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Feb 16 2013 8:55 am

I dunno what I do anymore. But I know I am never home. One of these days Ill get out and hike if I ever get the time.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Feb 16 2013 9:58 am

I actually work(worked) with Outdoor_Lover at Maricopa County Animal Control, she was the "dog catcher" and when she brought dogs to the shelter I do all the actual intake processes including vaccinations, taking photos and making sure they get onto public websites for people to view all the lost pets, the three main parts of my job are customer service, animal handling and data entry. and yes, before he says it I do euthanize aggressive or very ill animals. if you wanna talk about that don't do it here. :D

i'd much rather hike for a living...working on that!!

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Feb 16 2013 10:20 am

Cat wrangler or as some would call it retail.
What I really want to know is.....What does Joe do for a living?
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 16 2013 10:25 am

I'm a substitute teacher also collecting unemployment, trying to get out of this little cowtown to move to Tucson or maybe California. I'm not really using my new bachelor's degree in Social and Community Service or my minor in Spanish very much. I would like to be retired right now, this minute. I would like to find someone to be retired with. I don't like working because I never fit into any of my work environments very well. It is excruciatingly depressing to me. I love going to school and am enrolling at WNMU Silver City for an online master's degree program next summer or fall.

My all-time favorite job was as a hiking and canoeing leader at a local dude ranch, about 4 years ago. My second all-time favorite job was as a tour guide at a local Indian ruins. (Neither job is currently available.)

My dream job would be river guiding, but at my age I think it might be too hard on me. I have also thought about joining the Peace Corps.

I'm thinking of taking early Social Security in two years and becoming a semi-permanent NPS volunteer at one of the parks that offers housing and stipend.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Feb 16 2013 11:04 am

chumley wrote: I met a guy once who was retired and hikes all the time with no financial concern in the world. He was like 40-something.
Well don't forget he does spend a ton of time on his awesome website :y:

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 16 2013 11:08 am

I have two friends in Tucson who retired in their 40's to hike all the time. They are now much older, in their 60's and 70's, and still hiking all the time.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 16 2013 12:41 pm

Jim_H wrote:Aw, CG isn't bad.
That's what I thought before I moved here.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Feb 16 2013 2:34 pm

Nothing too exciting other than to help kill trees. Sell printing, labels and tags. Not a bad gig, work out of my house and my boss lives two time zones away so I only see him once a month. If it's a slow day I can sneak away for a long lunch and run up and down the trails at the mountain preserves in central Phoenix because I only live 7 minutes from the trailhead for the backside of Shaw Butte and/or North Mountain. It's double that time if I want to head to Lookout Mtn or Dreamy Draw.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 16 2013 4:45 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:
Could be worse. Could be Yuma.

Dad to me before I moved to Yuma in 1985: "It's the arm pit of the world."
Me: "It can't be that bad."

Me, several months later: "It's worse, and lower down." ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 16 2013 8:22 pm

Casa Grande would be a huge step up for me right now, so I can't complain about that area at all.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Feb 16 2013 9:34 pm

I am a delivery driver for an insanely busy home oxygen company, who sometimes gets to hike on his lunch breaks, and who wishes he still lived in the desert.

I like reading about what other HAZ folks do for a living, and hiking with them. Hiking by myself all the time gets lonely.
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Feb 16 2013 11:15 pm

Currently I work as an A/C service technician. Just 3 more months and I will graduate with all the certifications I need. But as of a week ago, I was offered my previous position back as a superintendent for a home builder here in the valley. Considering all the time and effort I put into getting into that career, I'm going to take it. Building homes is what I love to do, and after a long six years of A/C, I'm done.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 17 2013 9:36 am

Jim_H wrote:Casa Grande would be a huge step up for me right now, so I can't complain about that area at all.
Well it is true that you and I have disagreed about the merits of various communities, so perhaps you would really enjoy it here. I feel it is a soul-less, trashy town without good local recreation or scenic views. Your mileage may vary.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 17 2013 10:26 am

kingsnake wrote:
Rob del Desierto wrote:
Could be worse. Could be Yuma.

Dad to me before I moved to Yuma in 1985: "It's the arm pit of the world."
Me: "It can't be that bad."

Me, several months later: "It's worse, and lower down." ;)
I like Yuma. I spent two winters there, in Foothills. I kayaked the river and road biked the roads, and hiked the crusty peaks and interesting canyons, mountain biked the jeep roads, and took a class at AWC. I did a lot of hunting for petroglyph panels and other interesting things. I worked at a middle school and was amazed at the lack of interracial prejudice amongst the students and staff. I still have nice friends there, and I think it's a pretty nice town. It is awfully hot there in summer, and it is a long way to a high mountain area to cool off and hike, so I would not want to live there full-time. The crime problems there are no different than Tucson or Phoenix--you have good neighborhoods and you have bad ones.

My son was stationed there for 3 years at MCAS and loved it. He bought a Jeep and did a lot of rock crawling, and he bought a bass boat and competed in fishing tournaments, and he also competed in IPSC shooting matches at the great county shooting range there. He and his wife still miss it because where they live now in San Diego County it's super expensive, and you have to pay a LOT to launch your boat at a local lake, so he sold the boat and bought a kayak. And you often have to pay to use the Jeep trails around there.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 17 2013 11:46 am

I enjoyed my few weeks in Yuma last summer, at least as much as can be expected for working 12 hours a day.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”