Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Digital Cameras

Post by pixelfrog » Nov 26 2002 12:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm finally gonna get a digital camera, :D :D but not quite sure what kind yet. Can anyone recommend a good hiking/backpacking digital camera that can take the trail and is 3 megapixels? Also I will want to boost the memory up quite a bit.

Thanks in Advance!

Paul

gummo
City, State: mesa

Re: Digital Cameras

Post by gummo » May 17 2013 6:14 pm

@Outdoor Lover
I wish that I would have dismissed it, but I don't know much about cameras or photography in general.

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » May 17 2013 6:16 pm

@gummo
Can you set it to rapid fire? I've been trying that lately and I shoot about 7 to 10 shots and one has to be good.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » May 17 2013 6:50 pm

@beterarcher
Maybe. I'll see if I can. Thx.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » May 17 2013 7:08 pm

@gummo
If your Camera has a "Sports Mode" under "Scenes" or has a "Continuous Shoot" feature under your menu, you can do it....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Bradshaws
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » May 17 2013 7:14 pm

@gummo
That's good to know. I'll take note to check low light performance.
@Outdoor Lover
This question is for both of you. Both of those Nikons use AA batteries. How do you like that and how is battery life in your cameras?
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » May 17 2013 7:29 pm

@Bradshaws
My P510 doesn't use AA's. It's a rechargeable Battery pack. One thing about Nikon, is that they have a reputation for not having great Battery Life, but I prepared for that by getting extra Batteries and so far, I've only had to use the spares twice. Compared to some of the Canon replacement Batteries, mine are cheaper though at about 35.00 bucks a pop instead of 50ish....I just shot 500+ pictures in Superfine, megapixel mode and didn't exhaust a Battery until Day 5 of the Trip I just got back from....If I had taken as many pictures as I normally do, I probably would have gone through 2 full Batteries in 7 days....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » May 17 2013 7:42 pm

@Bradshaws
Here's a good Website that reviews Camera Models side by side..... http://www.dpreview.com/

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » May 17 2013 7:50 pm

@Outdoor Lover
I was resistant to switching away from AA batteries at first, but have found the proprietary batteries are much better. Plus, you can order off brand equivalents from say Amazon that are in some cases better than the ones that come with the camera, and at less cost. Never go out on a trip, hike whatever without some spares along though. Also be diligent about recharging them. By the way Pam, after nearly 6 months in the box, I am finally taking my Nikon P510 on its first photoshoot in New Mexico next week! :) I have been unhappy with the picture quality of my Panasonic FZ200. Wish my original Sony superzoom hadn't died...it was real nice.
Onward into oblivion!

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » May 18 2013 5:13 am

@RWStorm
We'll be waiting for some of those shots from the new camera, Randy :)
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » May 18 2013 7:22 am

@mnlumberjack
Well Jack it is exactly the same as Pam's, right down to the color. She's getting some swell shots with hers. It will be nice to have 42 vs 24 zoom, though I think beyond a certain point that magnification is just a selling point unless it's on a tripod (which I rarely use). Hope I like it. :)
Onward into oblivion!

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » May 18 2013 5:12 pm

which is the best pocket camera to withstand repeated drops down dry waterfalls... the reason for the demise of my last great camera. It made it through 5-6 longer drops... last year I used it without the view screen (cracked)...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Bradshaws
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » May 18 2013 5:35 pm

@imike
My Nikon AW100 takes a beating!! I've dropped countless times in water(fresh and salt), sand and rocks. It has even ended up between me and the ground a few times. The only bad thing is a lack of zoom. It has 5X optic zoom. One thing it can't handle is spray-on sunscreen ](*,) I got some overspray on it and the sunscreen pitted the housing
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 18 2013 5:58 pm

imike wrote:which is the best pocket camera to withstand repeated drops down dry waterfalls...
After the third ruined camera by dunking and/or impact last year I scoured the reviews for the so-called rugged cameras and concluded:
1. Not only do they still break with a good fall
2. You give up pretty much any zoom over 4x

Those two conditions meant I wasn't going to waste my money on one. So... I went the other route, a impact-resistant semi-waterproof (good for a short dunk of maybe a couple feet) case and have been very happy with it. The biggest bonus I've found so far is I hardly ever have to clean/dust my lens whereas with all my off-trail excursions I used to be dusting it off constantly. Oh yeah, my last camera ended up with dust behind the lens due to the absolutely ridiculous plastic-blindstyle lens cover.

I think I got the 3250 series Otter Box:
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat110801
CannondaleKid

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » May 19 2013 5:05 am

@Bradshaws
:o So what do you think it's doing to your skin??????
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Jun 10 2013 1:53 pm

Getting my new Sony a77 tomorrow Woo Hoo!! Complete with a 55-300 zoom, much better than my Nikon 55-200. Plus the a77 can do 12fps at 24 megapixels. In looking at the manual, it looks to have a pretty incredible feature set. It will bracket up to 5 photos, it takes Pano shots by rotating the camera, tons of nice bells and whistles! (it even has "Smile Detection" - could be dangerous...) :y:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 10 2013 3:26 pm

@paulhubbard
Have fun with that Paul! Look forward to seeing the pictures.... :D

My next one is going to be a Waterproof, probably either the Nikon or Panasonic.... :y:

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 06 2014 1:30 pm

I swear there was a thread where I vociferously complained about my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 camera -- as opposed the thread where I vocferously complained about my Garmin 62s GPS -- and the unfortunate fact that it splits movies into multiple files, making it impossible for me to import said movies into iPhoto, so that I may have all the photos and movies from a given hike in one place, together. I swear that is in the forum somewhere. Can't find it.

Anyway, add another problem to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 : It randomly assigns bad geocodes to some photos. For instance, in a photoset I am currently working on, the Haz geocode pin clicks to a blank map. Why? Not because of Haz, but because the data in the photo is bad. In Haz, the bad data looks like this: http://hikearizona.com/map.php?LAT=17056881.853375&LON=17056881.853375&Z=15&M=6 . The odd part is, not all the photos from that camera have munged data; some have perfectly valid geocodes that Haz is able to properly pin. It's seemingly random.

So, avoid the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5. It, too, is a pain in the :pk: .
Last edited by kingsnake on Feb 06 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » Feb 06 2014 1:38 pm

@kingsnake
It didn't take me long to determine I want nothing to do with cameras with built in gps function. I couldn't care less about geo-tagging the photos when accuracy is lacking. Different tools for different tasks.
Onward into oblivion!

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 06 2014 1:45 pm

My iPhone will sometimes throw a geocode off, but not by more than a half mile. It has *never* munged a geocode so completely it did not even make sense ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » Feb 06 2014 1:46 pm

@kingsnake
That right there is unacceptable
Onward into oblivion!

Return to “Photography”