what is the best gps device?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

what is the best gps device?

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 05 2014 6:41 pm

I am looking to get a gps hand held device. I know there are a lot out there. So I guess what I really am looking for is the biggest bang for my buck.
any input would be great thanks
Rowdy and Widowmaker

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: what is the best gps device?

Post by big_load » Jan 05 2014 6:44 pm

How do you plan to use it? If you just want to get coordinates and preserve tracks and waypoints, you can go small and cheap. Map capability, color screens, and other features will cost more.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 05 2014 6:47 pm

@big_load
I just want to up load maps that I can check to make sure I am on the right trails and to find spots that people list gps points on.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 05 2014 6:53 pm

I still use a Garmin GPSMap 60csx. The 62 is a current model that you can get a good price on now. The Garmin Oregon series is also worth looking at, but I haven't used one.

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jan 06 2014 4:01 am

big_load wrote:I still use a Garmin GPSMap 60csx. The 62 is a current model that you can get a good price on now. The Garmin Oregon series is also worth looking at, but I haven't used one.
I ditto on the 60csx...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jan 06 2014 5:49 am

I got my 60csx about 2.5 years ago, not long after newer Garmin models came out, so it was at a good discount. (I seem to recall something like $140.) Does everything I need, but then I like my devices single function and easy to use, rather than loaded up too many functions. As far as I am aware, you need the Garmin software to transfer .gdb/.gpx files and maps to/from your device, and BaseCamp blows. I much preferred the older software that was available when I first bought my device ( MapSource ). Unfortunately for you, rarity has driven up 60csx prices beyond that of newer models. (Amazon is listing new 60csx's at almost $500!)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 06 2014 7:07 am

kingsnake wrote:BaseCamp blows. I much preferred the older software that was available when I first bought my device (MapSource).
I'm with you there... after a lifetime on PC's I just got a MacBook and from Garmin BaseCamp is it, which I agree even for a free program it is worthless.
:M2C:

So I won't put the PC laptop out to pasture yet... I'll continue to use Route Manager (thanks Joe!) for my route planning but will fire up my PC for getting the tracks to/from my GPS (76CSX) with MapSource. With my network I can grab the track from my GPS in MapSource and save it across the network directly onto the MacBook.

Unfortunately... all the maps I bought for use with MapSource/BaseCamp on the PC will not work on the Mac. So even if I used BaseCamp I'd have to buy maps again. Not!
CannondaleKid

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 06 2014 8:10 am

@kingsnake
I have to agree about your statement for base-camp..seems to run sooooo slow on my computer..and it was really expensive.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 06 2014 8:26 am

I have the Oregon 450T. I am very non-technical and don't really know what to do with it or what its capabilities are, since I don't know how to go about finding out. Joe was very helpful, and after about 10 private messages with him giving me instructions, (very minute instructions in baby-steps, lemme tell ya!) I am now able to record a trip, and post it on HAZ! And that is ALL I know how to do with the thing! ;)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 06 2014 9:08 am

kingsnake wrote:I much preferred the older software that was available when I first bought my device ( MapSource ).
I use BaseCamp for only a few things, but I much prefer MapSource and still use it most of the time.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 06 2014 9:33 am

CannondaleKid wrote:I'll continue to use Route Manager (thanks Joe!) for my route planning
Same here. I probably spend over 50% of my Haz time in MapDex Route Manager.
CannondaleKid wrote:all the maps I bought for use with MapSource/BaseCamp on the PC will not work on the Mac. So even if I used BaseCamp I'd have to buy maps again. Not!
Don't blame you. What a scam!
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Jan 06 2014 11:12 am

I've been looking at the Garmin 62S, it seems to be heading toward closeout and this might be my entry level GPS.
I like that it has a Sat. view because I love GE and am used to that. I see it needs a subscription for the Sat. service. Anyone know how much?
That being said I'm open to suggestions, (this could open a can of worms). I really don't want to spend much more than $250
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 06 2014 12:09 pm

I've been contemplating a Route Manager Workshop 2.0, or just a rehash of RM Workshop 1.0 for people who didn't make it the first time.

But it seems that a common request is software related to maps and GPS units. Perhaps that should be a topic worth addressing if we go around this again.

Maybe in the next few months. I'll keep you posted.
Highway to hell

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 06 2014 1:23 pm

@Alston Neal
I think that sat. view thing is called Eagle Eye and its a monthly subscription, I don't know price, but was interested to see if it is worth getting myself, maybe its more gimmick than practical I dont know...

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 06 2014 7:01 pm

REI customer GPS ratings sorted by sorted by rating : http://www.rei.com/search?search=GPS&so ... arch%2CGPS

Every hand held device on page 1 is over $500. You have to go to the middle of page 2 to find a hand held (the others are watch and bike type things) under $200: Garmin eTrex 20 GPS for $179, rated ****. The Garmin GPSMAP 62 GPS, which is physically similar to the 60csx, is *** for $199 on page 4 of that search.

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Jan 06 2014 7:22 pm

I own a Garmin eTrex 20 and I'm not a big fan :? I paid around $130 for the gps but it was totally worthless without the $80 maps :x NOW :stop: a lot of my problems with this GPS unit is my lack of knowledge on how to use it properly. I have to admit that I use my GPS as a "breadcrumb trail"
I have started to use my iPhone with a 3D gps app that I like a lot but "no signal = no GPS" :cry: and that can happen on city trails :x

If there is a HAZ event to help with GPS and mapping I will be there :D
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jan 06 2014 7:35 pm

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 06 2014 8:01 pm

Bradshaws wrote: iPhone with a 3D gps app that I like a lot but "no signal = no GPS"
The iPhone most certainly gets GPS reception even when there is no cell signal. BUT it does not get GPS when in Airplane mode, and there is no way to override that setting. So you must have Airplane Mode turned off to use the iPhone GPS antenna, which will drain the battery very quickly if it is searching for cell service, making it an impractical option if you are using it for a breadcrumb track.

What app do you use?
Highway to hell

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Jan 06 2014 8:19 pm

@chumley
I use MAPS 3D app. The maps are pretty cool in 3D mode and I like the layout of the app itself.

I have had this app drop my track on several occasions. I had always attributed it to a loss in cell signal. I didn't know that the iPhone had a separate Gps antenna

Thanks for the tip :) I can't wait to try it out!
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

nonot

Post by nonot » Jan 06 2014 10:01 pm

I use a etrex 20 gps after my etrex vista hcx started getting flaky (would turn off if any pressure was applied to the screen) and lost its weatherproofing - the rubber around the unit basically fell off.

I would recommend you learn to develop your own map or download one for free. If you go to the link in my signature you can download these files, dump them onto the gps via its usb port, and configure the mapping display to turn these uploaded maps on. Without maps most GPS's are fairly useless for helping you figure out which way to go. It's even easier on the etrex 20 than the older etrex models.

The one to download is the member gps routes one, either the older version or newer one.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Return to “Gear”