Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Clouds Rest, CA
Linked Area  • Yosemite NP, CA
chumley
Decimal
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Yosemite snow causes hikers to get lost

Postby chumley » Jul 07 2017 3:40 pm

On July 1, about an hour before sunset, a wilderness law enforcement ranger on a routine backcountry patrol encountered three separate parties, seven hikers total, all lost while facing oncoming darkness. They were in the Sunrise Pass area south of Tioga Road, in the general area of Tuolumne Meadows.

sierrastar.com/news ... html

It is nearly impossible to follow a trail under snow cover. There's no way I'd attempt to get to Clouds Rest without a GPS track to follow and ALWAYS with a headlamp in my pack!

Glad everybody got out ok.
On point.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Yosemite snow causes hikers to get lost

Postby outdoor_lover » Jul 08 2017 10:18 am

I don't understand the Ranger's Reasoning here.... It's Obvious that the Hiker's were Unprepared at the Outset, why would he/she take them to the Destination and keep them out there like that? Just get them down and out and tell them to go back when they are properly prepared for Conditions including Darkness and Cold....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby JoelHazelton » Jul 10 2017 5:27 pm

I also don't understand why a ranger would lead 3 groups of lost hikers through the snow to the top of Clouds Rest at 11pm, then leave them there. That's why I'm assuming the author's use of "destination" is just a poor choice of words (or maybe since the 3 groups didn't all need to go to the same place, so a general use of "destination" was more accurate), and in fact the ranger led them back to safety.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

amy1300
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Postby amy1300 » Jul 10 2017 5:41 pm

It says they were "going to Clouds Rest and back" so I suppose that by the time the ranger found them, the hikers were on their way "back" to their cars, and that would be the "destination" the article refers to. It does not sound as if they were prepared to spend the night out.
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Postby hikeaz » Jul 11 2017 6:52 am

-----------
Attachments
Hiker pileup fog.jpg
kurt

Return to “Trail Chat”