Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
jacobemerick
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Mazatzals: #850 and HK Ranch

Postby jacobemerick » Jul 10 2017 9:35 am

On several topo maps I've seen a trail stretch south from Dutchman Grave #22, cross Sycamore Creek in the center of the old HK Ranch, and then dead-end a short distance later. It's labeled #850. Haven't been able to find anything about a Trail #850 in the Mazatzals and only a few mentions of HK Ranch for when it was added to the wilderness in 2009. Satellite view is inconclusive (can't tell if the faint lines at full zoom are old tread or game trail or wishful thinking). Anyone know if there's anything to these locations (old trail, old cabin, corrals, dependable spring, Starbucks, etc?)

[ Route MGR ]

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Mazatzals: #850 and HK Ranch

Postby mazatzal » Jul 10 2017 10:09 am

@jacobemerick
Yes, we went down that old route 30ish years ago! We followed Sycamore downstream about a mile and then climbed out to the northwest. There was lots of signs of beaver: felled trees / stumps and a couple of dams. We tried to find the old HK cabin / foundation. A black square is shown on the CT 1930 layer and on one of my old tops maps.

jacobemerick
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Postby jacobemerick » Jul 10 2017 10:51 am

@mazatzal
Was hoping / betting that you had some experience here :) Thanks for pointing out the 1930 layer. Love checking out the old trails that used to criss-cross the current wilderness boundaries, possible explorations for future years :)

Did you find the old foundation? And, by any chance, do you have a name for this trail? I was _thinking_ of checking it out during a modified Sheep Bridge / Mountain Spring Loop, missed it during my initial planning phase.

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby mazatzal » Jul 10 2017 11:16 am

@jacobemerick
If I remember correctly, we found some evidence but it was pretty broken up. I think we found some old fence posts too.
Don't know of any trail name. How about HK Ranch trail :)
Interesting that part of the area is still outside the wilderness even after they enlarged it.

Return to “Trail Chat”