Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Canyon Creek or Haigler Creek

Post by pixelfrog » Jul 26 2017 3:39 pm

Which one should I do with my 11 year old girl? Which is cooler, which takes longer to get to? Might try to fish.

Opinions?

Espi
Barley Connoisseur
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Canyon Creek or Haigler Creek

Post by Espi » Jul 26 2017 4:08 pm

Haigler is quicker to get to. Right at 2 hours from my place at Alma School and Baseline. Haigler is warmer from my experience. I frequent both places with my daughter (almost 4)

I would suggest Canyon Creek.. there is always the self guided hatchery tour at Canyon Creek. Park at the bridge crossing and wander up and down stream from there. Getting in the water as needed to cool down. Just like most places its amazing what walking a mile will do to the crowds.

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Jul 26 2017 5:30 pm

Canyon Creek is more kid-friendly. More exploration up and down the creek without bushwhacking or climbing. It's open meadow for a couple miles, great for wandering. However, Haigler has deeper pools and is better for swimming. Just expect a little more work involved if you want to make your way upstream or downstream.

Done several backpacking trips to both locations. Overall, I prefer Haigler for various reasons. Fisherman Point would be a great access trail with an 11 y/o. But you can't go wrong with either.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog » Jul 27 2017 10:11 am

JoelHazelton wrote: Done several backpacking trips to both locations. Overall, I prefer Haigler for various reasons. Fisherman Point would be a great access trail with an 11 y/o. But you can't go wrong with either.
Thanks Joel, may hit both if we have time. I want to swim and fish. Thanks for the input as well Espi!

Return to “Trail Chat”