Linked Areas none
no avatar
Bumblebee
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Kassel, Germany

Garmin Maps the Arizona Trail

Post by Bumblebee » Jan 24 2018 8:21 am

Hi there,

I plan on bringing my Garmin GPS. Anyone here who bought "Garmin’s “Trailhead Series - Arizona National Scenic Trail”"? Would you recommend it? Or any other suggestions which maps I should take?

Bye

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Garmin Maps the Arizona Trail

Post by rcorfman » Jan 24 2018 3:31 pm

@Bumblebee
What I did, was join the ATA and then downloaded the AZT tracks and waypoints available to ATA members onto my Garmin GPS. My GPS has Garmin's basic topo maps and that worked fine with the supplied tracks/waypoints.
Go find a LonelyCache

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 24 2018 5:02 pm

In 2010 I downloaded all the tracks then available from the ATA website, split the bigger ones into 500 point segments, and loaded them on to my Garmin GPS. I also imported the tracks into National Geographic TOPO software and printed paper maps. This took over 8 hours of constant attention.

Garmin now offers a chip with the AZT on 1:24k topo maps as the background imagery. Plug it into the gps receiver and you're good to go. IMO the chip is well worth the price.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Trew
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Florence, AZ

Post by Trew » Jan 30 2018 11:15 pm

I use those maps in my GPS. A few times I have been a bit confused with them, but overall, with the printed maps, and the GPS you will do ok.

If you are going to do the entire trail I would recommend you just but the printed maps from the ATA and save yourself some time, and money.

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Saint Johns

Post by Preacher » Feb 01 2018 12:25 pm

I have a Garmin Oregon with four states and AzTrail loaded. $550 invested. Any buyers? Make offer. The thing tries to too much for this old man to keep up. I down loaded the manual and its worth less than useless.

Return to “AZT General”