Linked Areas none
no avatar
kiwioutdoors
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Oakland, CA

Cow Tank Ledge (pour off)

Post by kiwioutdoors » Feb 06 2018 8:15 pm

In [ Grand Gulch - Collins to Bullet ]
You got as afar as Cow Tank Ledge (pour off) - could you please send me a photo of it - if you have one.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Cow Tank Ledge (pour off)

Post by big_load » Feb 06 2018 8:32 pm

@kiwioutdoors
Are you talking about the sequence of pouroffs in Bullet Canyon?

ETA: Ah, I think you mean the one in Cow Tank Canyon. I haven't been on that one, but it's supposedly a little tougher than the one in Bullet Canyon.
Last edited by big_load on Feb 06 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
kiwioutdoors
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Oakland, CA

Post by kiwioutdoors » Feb 07 2018 10:16 am

Yes - in Cow Tank Conyon, about 1 km up from the junction with Grand Gulch , as described in multiple sources the pour-off is not passable (going up or down the pour off) without canyoneering it. I would like to see some photos of this obstacle - and maybe one or two folks have some photos from below that they could share. Else I may have to enter Grand Gulch via Dripping Canyon - on my one-way hike to Collins Canyon and exit. Google Earth does not have enough resolution to be definitive on a possible Cow Tank route around the obstacle - leaving "down" as the only option. .

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 07 2018 7:07 pm

@kiwioutdoors

The System Trails that enter side canyons have some nasty drops. The ones that don't (like Cow Tank) are worse. I don't have pics, but I've seen that pouroff from the Gulch and recall deciding I'd gone as far as I was going to get. One of my references describes it as an impassable 25' pouroff, and that book does not describe many other obstacles too nasty for me as being impassable. Have you looked at Step Canyon? That one isn't described as impassable, but it's really only feasible with a rope if the logs or ladders aren't there.

Return to “Trail Chat”