Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Sporsioux
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: London

Permits

Post by Sporsioux » Feb 09 2018 7:40 am

New to the AZ trail. Looking to hike from P8, Rincon valley. Through to p20, Four peaks. Basically from Tucson to Phoenix.
Any advice on permits required for camping on route? March period.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Re: Permits

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 09 2018 7:59 am

@Sporsioux
Saguaro National Park requires a backpacking permit.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 11 2018 4:51 am

If you stay at Colossal Cave Park on passage 8 or Grass Shack or Manning Camp in the Rincons, you need a permit and can only camp in designed areas. If you hike through those passages and stay outside of the Saguaro NP boundary, no permits are needed.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Sporsioux
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Sporsioux » Feb 12 2018 4:02 am

@azbackpackr
Hi! Thanks for the response. Can you advise me how/where/when I could possibly purchase a permit to pass through the Saguaro East Park with a Camping permit for the 'Grass shack' and 'Manning campsites' During March 2018? ....Preferably online for payments. I'm presently in the UK and a bit confused .. Many thanks.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 12 2018 4:29 am

@Sporsioux
This info should be available on the Park website as well as the ATA website. I have gotten one in person before, but it's been years. Or perhaps @sredfield can provide info?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Feb 12 2018 12:39 pm

@Sporsioux
I also live in the UK and last year I got my camping permit for Grass Shack/ Manning online and they sent the (paper) camping permit to my home address in the UK.

You are also supposed to pay an entry fee and because the AZT doesn't pass near an office you have to pay for that online too. However,at least last year that was only possible on the same day you were passing through (the online form automatically took today's date - don't know if that has changed in the mean time). So unlike the camping permits there was simply no way for me to pay it because I didn't carry a working phone to do it on the spot. I had already reported that problem to the park before I came to the US but a solution was never offered. Anyway, I was all alone in this wonderful park so nobody checked anything anyway :)
Last edited by FireFly on Feb 12 2018 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 12 2018 6:24 pm

Here's Saguaro NP web site: https://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm
Specifically - go to the pull down menu - RESERVE. Click on Permits and Reservations = Saguaro Wilderness Brochure = which will have info and the permit application. https://www.nps.gov/sagu/planyourvisit/ ... 2015-7.pdf

Grass Shack and Manning are the only 2 that are on the trail.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Sporsioux
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Sporsioux » Feb 13 2018 3:08 am

@FireFly
Thanks FIREFLY! This is just what I suspected, I can't seem to find any website so to make any bookings etc. Thought I'd just go and see what happens, They can shoot me. Anyway, I'll try the site 'SANDYFORTNER' suggested an see what happens..... Man!!! what a fiasco!
Many thanks.

Sporsioux
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Sporsioux » Feb 13 2018 3:10 am

@sandyfortner
Thanks for the info Sandyfortner!... Will try the site, but I'm heading there anyway.
Manyrhanks.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 13 2018 8:27 am

The gal who answers the phone at the NPS Saguaro NP visitor center (520) 733-5153 was very helpful:

For AZT hikers, they will issue a permit over the phone. Call when you are absolutely certain of the day you need it, maybe a day or two out. If you aren’t carrying a phone maybe you could call from Colossal Cave Park, assuming you are northbound.

You need a credit card to pay for it over the phone.

There is slight chance the spots may be full on the day you want.

Chances of getting the date you want are slightly better if you have a permit in advance for your best guess as to the date you want. If that isn’t going to work, call and they can amend the permit if you need it for a different date.

Information as of 2/13/18
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 13 2018 8:33 am

In 2010 I dealt with this by reserving 3 nights at Manning Camp, expecting I'd hit one of them. When I explained that to someone at the park afterward, they kind of blanched because that practice locks up the sites for other users. I believe they came up with the phone permit practice to prevent this since it results in fewer people being able to use the park.

As luck would have it, just before I got there the mountain received 4 feet of snow in a late storm, and after getting high-centered in the snow, I detoured down Douglas Spring Trail.
Last edited by Sredfield on Feb 13 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Feb 13 2018 11:39 am

To be very clear: I was able to reserve (and pay for) the campsite well in advance (even in time to receive the paper permit in England). The only problem was paying the national park fee because the booking site only accepted today's date.
Last edited by FireFly on Feb 13 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AZT General”