Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Mr_Squishy
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Kodiak, AK

Looking for 3-5 day backpacking trip in Chiricahua Mountains

Post by Mr_Squishy » Feb 14 2018 5:41 am

I am looking for ideas for one or more 3-5 day trips in the Chiricahuas, accessing from the west side. Thanks.

jonathanpatt
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Re: Looking for 3-5 day backpacking trip in Chiricahua Mountains

Post by jonathanpatt » Feb 14 2018 8:07 am

Backpacking in towards Chiricahua Peak and setting up camp at Aspen Saddle works pretty well, with proximity to Headquarters Spring (wasn't flowing into the springbox very well last I saw it), Ojo Agua Fria (a bit of a far descent to get to on a faint trail), and Eagle Spring (probably the best bet), then you have access to hike out the Crest Trail in three directions, towards Sentinel Peak (with Snowshed Peak along the way), Monte Vista Peak, and Fly Peak/Rustler Park.

You could likely ascend via the Mormon Ridge Trail, which would connect you to the Crest Trail #270B at Chiricahua Saddle, head east via #270D to Aspen Saddle, set up camp, then spend a day out to the Sentinel Peak area and back, a day out to the Monte Vista Peak/lookout area and back, and potentially a day up to Fly Peak, Rustler Park, etc., if you were inclined to go towards civilization in that direction.

I haven't had a chance to see them in person since last summer, but it's my understanding that the other west side access trails (especially Morse Canyon) to the Crest were damaged pretty significantly by flooding during the last monsoon season.

Mr_Squishy
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Kodiak, AK

Re: Looking for 3-5 day backpacking trip in Chiricahua Mountains

Post by Mr_Squishy » Feb 14 2018 5:46 pm

@jonathanpatt
Thanks for the info!

Return to “Looking for a Hike”