Linked Areas none
Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Hopi Music of the Grand Canyon

Post by Sredfield » Apr 24 2018 3:19 pm

A friend asked me to help spread the word:

Delete if inappropriate.

Last October, I was fortunate enough to spend an evening inside the Desert View Watchtower on the South Rim of Grand Canyon recording music with Clark Tenakhongva, a renowned Hopi singer, and Gary Stroutsos, one of the world's greatest flute players. With me on clay pot drums, Gary on a replica of a 2,000-year-old Hopi long flute, and Clark singing original songs about Grand Canyon in the Hopi language, we captured an hour of the most incredible music I've ever been part of.

Since that time we have been working on the completion of a CD and a companion DVD featuring interviews with Clark Tenakhongva about Hopi cultural connections to Grand Canyon, footage of music being played inside the Watchtower, and inspiring images of Grand Canyon National Park. We should wrap up the CD, DVD and digital download into a single unit this August.

To help fund the final component of the project we have started a Kickstarter campaign.

Please visit Kickstarter, make a donation to support Ongtupqa (the Hopi word for Grand Canyon), and check out some of the premiums we're offering to supporters. With your help we will be able to tell this important story with the world. Ten percent of proceeds from the sale of CD/DVDs benefits the continuation of traditional Hopi music on the Reservation and the restoration of the Desert View Watchtower.

It would mean a lot to me if you can share this information with anyone you think may be interested. You can watch the promo video, enjoy one of the songs recorded in the Watchtower, listen to three sample tracks, and learn more about the project at ongtupqa.com.

If donating to support the project through Kickstarter isn't within your ability right now, then please consider pre-ordering a CD/DVD through the Store page of our website: ongtupqa.com

Many thanks,
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “Poems & Literature”