Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
nofarbs
Exploring Kokopelli

Planning A Summer Backpacking Trip ~100 Miles

Post by nofarbs » Apr 28 2018 1:57 pm

Hi,
I am interested in doing an ~100 mile hike along the AZT.

Would like some input as to best time of summer, I was thinking August.

Would like some input as to solve the problem of where I should park my car prior to starting and how to get back to it?

Would like some input as to what permits I would need for backpacking and if I need them to put down a tent everywhere along the trail or just some parts?

Would like some input as to if there is a best 100 mile stretch that hits the Grand Canyon at some point?

I am a novice, and would be doing this with one other person, woulf of course like to minimize cost, but without being foolhardy doing without essentials.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Last edited by nofarbs on Apr 28 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Planning A Summer Backpacking Trip ~100 Miles

Post by nonot » Apr 28 2018 6:20 pm

It is hard to make a loop on the AZT and cover significant mileage on the AZT itself. If you want to end up where you start the most you could do is 50 miles and then go back.

August is tough, 115 temperatures at lower elevations, such as at the bottom of the grand canyon you seem to want to go to, along with scarce water. The best hiking at this time of year is probably going to be the section between the rim road and the south entrance to the grand canyon, however you will struggle with nasty water in those stretches.

I believe you are permitted to park a car anywhere in the national forest for up to 14 days. You will need to arrange a shuttle to get back to it.

Except for grand canyon and near tucson no permits are required for forest where the AZT passes through and those are not the areas you should be in during summer anyway.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Re: Planning A Summer Backpacking Trip ~100 Miles

Post by amy1300 » Apr 30 2018 7:43 am

@nofarbs
FYI, there is a Forum Topic set aside just for AZTrail questions/info -- you might get more replies to your questions there. Here's a link:
viewforum.php?f=77
(I'm not an AZT hiker yet, so won't try to address your post beyond that.)
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

Return to “AZT General”