Page Spring aka Miner's Spring is gone forever

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Grandview to Hance Creek, AZ
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Page Spring aka Miner's Spring is gone forever

Post by azbackpackr »

The cliff overhanging the pool at Page Spring, near Horseshoe Mesa, has collapsed, taking the pool with it. The park service has put up signs to let people know, and several people have posted photos of it on social media. There is still water available at Cottonwood Spring on the other side of the mesa.

It was a really pretty spring. To me it is very sad that it's gone.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Page Spring aka Miner's Spring is gone forever

Post by chumley »

That's interesting. I wonder if it can't be redeveloped to gather the water which is still there somewhere.

I'm not sure if the NPS will put that kind of effort in, but historically pioneers would tap the spring with a pipe and bring the water away from the collapsed debris and unstable cliff above to a springbox or bedrock nearby.
Last edited by chumley on Oct 24 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

I'm sad to hear that! It was such a lovely little spring - and fun hike down to it!
O_3483-24127_1363136222-16.jpg
RIP Miner's Spring!
Last edited by cactuscat on Oct 24 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where is the "dislike" button?
chumley

Post by chumley »

Championing breakfast since 1994.
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

It would have been a shame had that ledge came down during this photo :lone:

[ photo ]
Last edited by friendofThundergod on Oct 24 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@friendofThundergod Aw thanks for the kind words. And all this time I would have guessed you to actually be ok with something like that happening! I misjudged you!
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

It's weird that this should come today. Yesterday I signed up for a trip that would have used this source, and the leader became aware of this last night.
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa »

i was always interested in the signage there, something along the lines of "drink at your own risk". uranium or radioactivity contamination? i don't recall. must have been the water i drank from there..
squirrel!
Canyonram
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram »

NPS trail crew have worked on the Page Spring collapse and opened up enough space for your hand (and a rattlesnake) to get behind the rockfall and retrieve water. I contacted the BCO office and got a response from Nate Powell (BCO tech) :

"There was a decent amount of water in the actual drainage below the spring - at least when I was down there late winter. I believe one of our Rangers were going to cairn a short route to drop down there to access it more easily. The way it is now at the spring, you have to pretty much reach in with a cup/bottle between two slabs to scoop water. "

I'll miss the little oasis and water source. The grotto surrounded by maidenhair ferns was a good lesson as to what a little water means in the Inner Canyon. At least one clump of maidenhair ferns appears to have survived the collapse. It also goes to show ya the time frame for geological events---I've been waiting for 50 years to see that overhang finally collapse due to erosion. Guess I'll have to come back in a thousand years (give or take a week) to see the overhang at Dripping Springs collapse. Now that is one you wouldn't want to be under collecting drips in your water bottle.

I queried the Cultural Resource Ranger as to how much of the grotto was a natural formation and how much had been accomplished by humans---going back to the first Canyon inhabitants to Pete Berry's gang to hikers on this forum. She didn't have any clue. As soon as I figure out how to include photos here I will add the two that Nate sent me. Also, waiting to hear from him if he is related to that other Powell associated with the Canyon.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Canyonram wrote:I queried the Cultural Resource Ranger as to how much of the grotto was a natural formation and how much had been accomplished by humans---going back to the first Canyon inhabitants to Pete Berry's gang to hikers on this forum.
That's an interesting question. I did visit the site on the trip I mentioned further up and it occurred to me that miners could have done some improvement. It was a tad warm coming out of the canyon and we enjoyed cooling off in the adit not far away.
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

@Canyonram
Nate used to be a fee collector when I was a tour guide. We used to chat about his last name. At the time, about 5 years ago, he didn't know if he is related to ol'JW. He always promised he'd look into it, but I don't know if he ever did. Powell is a pretty common name, anyway.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

@azbackpackr

Poor Nate. Bet he gets asked the question a million times a year. In my email to him asking about his last name, I told him the least he can do is go stand next to the Powell Memorial on the Hermit Rest Drive with an extra-large name tag highlighting his name. If people ask, he can tell them the Memorial was for him.
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

@big_load

I poked around on the inside of the grotto when it was still there and there was evidence of strike marks and fractures on the rock. Of course, that could have been done by some yahoo hiker a year before I got there to look or one of Pete Berry's crew looking to srike copper next to the water fountain. I thought it would be cool to find out if the original basin was laid by Native Americans. Would make for appreciation for all those who have made use of the place.

A few years ago, I borrowed a pair of night vision binoculars from a friend (he is getting equipped for the Zombie Apocalypse) and staked out the spring all night (you can do that when you live at the Canyon). A whole parade of Canyon critters stopped by for a drink including a Puma. The Bighorn were making sure to pisz and shizt on everything. Guess they'll have to hit the Quick Mart in Tusayan.
chumley

Post by chumley »

Canyonram wrote:the Memorial was for him
I can't speak for him, but I'd prefer to finish out my life before they name a memorial after me!
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

chumley wrote: Jun 18 2020 3:21 pm I can't speak for him, but I'd prefer to finish out my life before they name a memorial after me!
Gee, Chumley. I take it you have never watched 'Impractical Jokers.'
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

@te_wa
te_wa wrote:i was always interested in the signage there, something along the lines of "drink at your own risk". uranium or radioactivity contamination? i don't recall. must have been the water i drank from there..
Yo te wa, Geologist Ray Kenny did some sampling around the Grandview Mine in 2003. Here's a link to his article that was originally published in 'Park Science'

https://www.academia.edu/10196954/The_l ... on_Arizona

It took NPS some time to redirect the original trail away from the mine debris piles and the entrance of the mine (not until 2018 or 2019!!)---or course, hikers still go and stick their nose in the mine opening. I emailed Ray and let him know that I was putting his article up here---I invited him to join the forum. He's done a lot of work with breccia pipes/uranium contamination ansd his input would be welcomed here.

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”