Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

SAMBA's PSA Du jour

Post by SAMBA » May 15 2019 8:48 pm

For you HAZers who think that all adventures begin and end with the Grand Canyon, then me thinks you need know (if you don't already) about the PBS series "Operation Grand Canyon with Dan Snow":

https://tv.azpm.org/s/66624-operation-g ... -dan-snow/

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: SAMBA's PSA Du jour

Post by azbackpackr » May 22 2019 11:09 am

Oh. Another movie.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by SAMBA » May 22 2019 12:19 pm

@azbackpackr
Yo ABP, I'm not sure to what you refer. It's a 2-part PBS series originally filmed in 2014 of 9 adventurers attempting to replicate Powell's 1869 expedition through the Canyon in IDENTICAL wood row boats.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 22 2019 7:17 pm

SAMBA wrote:It's a 2-part PBS series originally filmed in 2014 of 9 adventurers attempting to replicate Powell's 1869 expedition through the Canyon in IDENTICAL wood row boats.
I hope two of them didn't bail out partway through and try to walk out on their own.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 23 2019 3:55 am

@SAMBA
Yes, heard of it.
Last edited by azbackpackr on May 23 2019 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 23 2019 3:58 am

@big_load
Haha, it would have been three, but I get it!

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by SAMBA » May 23 2019 9:27 am

Fear not for the nine intrepid Colorado River boaters. When I said "replicate" I was talking solely about the boats. They were carbon copies of the originals, and the nine adventures' experiences in the rapids were death-defying. As for the rest of the adventure not so. They had to survive the rapids and the miles of still water paddling, but once the day's adventure was done so was their adventure. The flotilla of support rafts and crew made sure of that. They lived "higher-on-the-hog" than I do daily.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 23 2019 10:12 am

The only PBS Series I watch.

Highway to hell

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 28 2019 6:34 am

@SAMBA
Death-defying, NOT!! You can safely swim every rapid in Grand Canyon. I myself have swum out of the Ledge Hole at Lava Falls at a cfs of 29K, (that's a pretty high volume these days) and it wasn't all that scary. The main danger in flipping a boat in Grand Canyon is getting hit by the boat itself. You can swim any rapid, assuming your life vest is on correctly. Yes, the water is cold, but you can wear a dry suit or wetsuit. If I'm really worried about flipping I use a cam strap on the life vest, and run it front to back, so that the vest can't come off over my head.

If the movie made you think that those guys would have died had they flipped, that was over-dramatization, and it is why I generally don't like movies. It always turns out that if you already know a lot about the topic, you end up sitting there shaking your head and saying, what a bunch of pumpkin! Reminds me of that movie, Into the Wild, where Sean Penn decided that the flatwater Lower Colorado River was just not enough, he had to have Chris McCandless running rapids in Grand Canyon. Well, if you read the book you'd know Chris never ran any rapids, because there are none to run below Grand Canyon, and he didn't go to Grand Canyon. The movie sequences showing rapids were filmed mostly at Diamond Creek, in Grand Canyon.
Last edited by azbackpackr on May 28 2019 6:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by SAMBA » May 28 2019 8:45 am

@azbackpackr
So am I to infer that when you're watching one of those countless count down to destruction movies, and the hero miraculously defuses the bomb which a second to spare, you'd prefer he/she does so with a day or two to spare? You prefer your movies a little more pablumesque?

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”