Plaque in your arteries

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Plaque in your arteries

Post by JimmyLyding »

There is a test that tests the amount of plaque in your arteries. I took one when I was 30, and I have a few more years before the next one. I'd recommend it for anyone who can swing it
djui5
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Death on Camelback

Post by djui5 »

Where can you take this test?
JimmyLyding

Post by JimmyLyding »

djui5 wrote:Where can you take this test?
Arizona Heart Hospital. It's about at SR 51 (Piestewa Peak Parkway) and Thomas on the west side.
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather »

JamesLyding wrote:
djui5 wrote:Where can you take this test?
Arizona Heart Hospital. It's about at SR 51 (Piestewa Peak Parkway) and Thomas on the west side.
How much did that cost? My guess is you'd have to really fight to get insurance to cover it, unless there was something that caused a doctor to question whether there was a problem?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

Yes, I would like to take that test, too. But I expect it's pretty spendy.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows »

The simplest way to monitor this is keep an eye on your resting pulse rate. If you are starting to build plaque upin quantities you need to be concerned with, your resting pulse will have increased, as well.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike »

Some of the cleanest arteries are oddly enough found in alcoholics... and a recent study showed a whopping 68% decline in fatal heart related events for wine drinkers in the study group. If you can keep the alcohol within the one glass per day range, avoiding the problems related to too much alcohol, it is an interesting consideration as a lifestyle change. Dark chocolate, in moderation, also seems to carry similar benefits. Podcasts available on Itunes: Fitness Rocks, details a number of these considerations.

But, it is a finite journey... it becomes an issue of time only. Best celebrated daily, somewhere out on a trail.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

imike wrote:Some of the cleanest arteries are oddly enough found in alcoholics....
Those alcoholics might have clean arteries, but I bet they are hard and still not very healthy to have. Plus, their livers are usually bad, and their heart muscles and nervous system may not be able to effectively handle the long term affects of a strenuous climb.
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

imike wrote:Some of the cleanest arteries are oddly enough found in alcoholics... and a recent study showed a whopping 68% decline in fatal heart related events for wine drinkers in the study group. If you can keep the alcohol within the one glass per day range, avoiding the problems related to too much alcohol, it is an interesting consideration as a lifestyle change. Dark chocolate, in moderation, also seems to carry similar benefits. Podcasts available on Itunes: Fitness Rocks, details a number of these considerations.

But, it is a finite journey... it becomes an issue of time only. Best celebrated daily, somewhere out on a trail.
Nick F needs to chime-in here, but red wine has a property that counters the inflammatory process that creates plaque on artery walls.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

Jeff MacE wrote: Nick F needs to chime-in here, but red wine has a property that counters the inflammatory process that creates plaque on artery walls.
What, if anything, can be done to counter act the property of red wine that makes its regular drinkers have snotty nose?
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob »

jhodlof wrote:
Jeff MacE wrote: Nick F needs to chime-in here, but red wine has a property that counters the inflammatory process that creates plaque on artery walls.
What, if anything, can be done to counter act the property of red wine that makes its regular drinkers have snotty nose?
Drink cheap red wine.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

PageRob wrote:
jhodlof wrote:
Drink cheap red wine.
Ha Ha, yea...Mad Dog 20/20
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Plaque in your arteries

Post by big_load »

Jeff MacE wrote:The simplest way to monitor this is keep an eye on your resting pulse rate.
It's not a very reliable indicator if your fitness level fluctuates much.
Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray »

big_load wrote:
Jeff MacE wrote:The simplest way to monitor this is keep an eye on your resting pulse rate.
While it seems to make sense that if your arteries were restricted with calcium and plaque your heart rate would go up as your heart worked harder to get the blood/oxygen to the heart.... it does not work that way with me. I have coronary heart disease (a build up of calcium, cholesterol and plaque) and my heart rate is low. While working out is part of the reason a good portion is genetics. Also, I believe the CT scan test measures the amount of calcium in your arteries. Maybe one of the docs can jump in and clarify the relationship of cholesterol, calcium and plaque build up for us.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

big_load wrote:
That, like everything else, depends. Either way it's cheap and effective.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather »

jhodlof wrote:
Does this answer the question? ;)
red wine "from the spiket"
red wine "from the spiket"
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau
JimmyLyding

Post by JimmyLyding »

I have no idea what it costs. I'd consult your primary care physician if you're interested.

Return to “Fitness & Health”