Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
tdada
City, State: Charlton, Massachusetts

Grand Canyon alternative

Post by tdada »

I am planning to hike into the Grand Canyon, North Rim, this coming September. That is if I can get permits. If I can't get the permits does anyone have suggestions for an alternative hike. I am figuring on a three or four day excursion. Thanks in advance. Tim D.
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Grand Canyon alternative

Post by hikeaz »

tdada,
You do not indicate from where you will be travelling to the north rim - that would be helpful. It would be toasty, but a Paria Canyon thru-hike is pretty close-by; better for September may be Zion Narrows.
I bet if you are flexible with dates/location that you'll get your backcountry permit, though. Beware the heat in September, especially on the north rim side, this ain't Mass. and you do NOT want to be in the book. Have fun & be safe.
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Grand Canyon alternative

Post by rushthezeppelin »

As hikaz mentions alot of the stuff in southern Utah is just about as epic feeling as the grand is. The Grand Gulch area is really amazing as it not only has some amazingly beautiful sandstone canyons but absolute TONS of indian ruins nestled in the cliffs, some in amazing condition.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”