Linked Guide  • Homolovi Ruins, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2010-02-20

# of days 1

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Homolovi - Last Look

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 01 2010 3:46 pm

Since our enlightened legislature has decided to shutter one of the most historically important locations under its "care" effective February 22nd, I thought it would be nice for some of us HAZers to show up and take on last look around before the pothunters and looters from Winslow and elsewhere have it all to themselves. Maybe we can find out if they have a need for some volunteer guards - the Arizona Archaeology Irregulars.
Anyway, date would be Saturday the 20th, place Homolovi VC, time, 9-ish, unless anyone squeals about it.
Are you in?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

PaleoRob

Re: Homolovi - Last Look

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 01 2010 3:49 pm

The idea would be to hike all the trails at the park, including the "hidden" petroglyph trail. Not much in the way of serious mileage or AEG. It is all about the history.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Feb 03 2010 12:00 am

Would that sunday be a no go for you? Anyone else interested in Phoenix?
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Nan
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Nan » Feb 03 2010 9:32 am

I am possibly, if I can hitch a ride w/somebody - my '98 Corolla is doughty but low-clearance.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 03 2010 11:01 am

No need for high clearance, everything is either paved or graded. It isn't a very big park, you can just walk all over it. It does have several different separate areas, too, which I think are leased from BLM and will probably just go back to BLM (non)care.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Nan

Post by Nan » Feb 03 2010 12:39 pm

I read somewhere that it was a bad idea to take a low-clearance vehicle on the road to Homolovi. Is it about the same as the road to Palatki? Because the Corolla was OK on that.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 03 2010 2:31 pm

You're thinking of Honanki in Sedona. This is Homolovi outside of Winslow. I could do Sunday - I just through more people would like to have a day off after a trek. If there's enough interest we can change it.
-Old Spiritual

Nan

Post by Nan » Feb 04 2010 11:18 am

You're right, I was thinking of Honanki. For a trip all the way to Winslow I could only do Saturday.

Nan

Post by Nan » Feb 07 2010 8:43 am

I've got two more people down my way for the 20th, but there's no way we'll be there by 9:00 so don't wait for us. ;)

no avatar
Itsalldownhill
City, State: Glendale,AZ

Post by Itsalldownhill » Feb 09 2010 1:44 pm

I'm up for the trip on the 20th. I have room for three if anyone needs a ride from the north end of Phoenix.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 09 2010 2:47 pm

We can push back the time - I have a meeting set up with a fella in Flag for about 9 on that morning, so we might be looking closer to 9:45. Good news for you Phoenix drivers, right?
-Old Spiritual

cabel
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by cabel » Feb 15 2010 10:18 am

How much snow will be on the ground? This weekend?
All who wander are not lost...just me.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 15 2010 11:34 am

Probably none in Winslow. It tends to melt pretty quick. It is supposed to be in the high 50's all week there, so if there is any on the ground now I don't expect it to stay. LCR will probably be flowing OK though.
-Old Spiritual

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 19 2010 6:13 am

Putting this back to the top. I'll PM those who are signed up with my wife's cell phone number this evening if I can take it. Look for my truck - Blue Explorer SportTrac - at the VC around 9:45-10.
-Old Spiritual

Nan

Post by Nan » Feb 19 2010 8:01 pm

Oops, my ride says they can only go Sunday. :oops: Well, have fun tomorrow folks. I'll be wandering about on Sunday noon-ish, depending whether we go for lunch before or after.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 19 2010 8:29 pm

Bummer! Well I have sent everyone else on the confirmed/interested list my wife's cell phone number, since I will have it with me tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you all there tomorrow!
-Old Spiritual

Return to “Hiking Events”