Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Man dies at Horseshoe Bend

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 27 2010 11:33 pm

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/articl ... 03286.html
Man dies in fall from Horseshoe Bend Overlook
By TODD GLASENAPP Sun Correspondent | Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 10:29 am | (0) Comments

PAGE -- A 32-year-old Greek man fell about 600 feet to his death Saturday at the Horseshoe Bend Overlook near Page.

Charalampos Grammatoglou, of Thessaloniki, Greece, was standing on a ledge of thin sandstone overlooking the picturesque bend of the Colorado River taking photographs when the ledge gave way about 11:25 a.m., said Lt. Ron Anderson of the Coconino County Sheriff's Office in Page.

Just before he fell, members of his party were yelling at him to get away from the edge, Anderson said Monday. The Sheriff's Office and National Park Service responded and verified Grammatoglou was deceased. Classic Lifeguard was launched, and a short-haul team from Grand Canyon Helicopters was able to retrieve the body, Anderson said.

The death was the first for the popular overlook in 14 or 15 years, Anderson said. The river is located about 1,000 feet below, at the bottom of a steep cliff. Anderson cautioned visitors against getting too close to the edge: "It's dangerous, anywhere along the ledges."
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

fotogirl53
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Man dies at Horseshoe Bend

Post by fotogirl53 » Jul 28 2010 8:27 am

How horrible is this! I feel so bad for his family and friends. It must be a bureaucratic nightmare for the family.
Allergic to cities.

RickVincent
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by RickVincent » Jul 28 2010 11:02 am

I get the heebie jeebies when I see a picture like our HAZ friend Pencak has as a profile pic (standing on a thin edge of stone). I see everything I need to see from 6 feet away from the cliff's edge. I don't need to get any closer.

These people come here from around the world. They don't know about monsoon season. They don't know the difference between sandstone and granite. Mix in a little bit of stupid and you've got the recipe for disaster. The only good news in this story is that it has only happened once in 14 - 15 years.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 28 2010 11:58 am

Rick Vincent wrote: I see everything I need to see from 6 feet away from the cliff's edge.
A royal AMEN to that. I can hardly walk the rim trail or visit any of the overlooks at the canyon for all the people crowding the edge. It's miles wide, will 6 feet closer make a difference?
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 28 2010 12:34 pm

Rick Vincent wrote: I see everything I need to see from 6 feet away from the cliff's edge.
Agreed. I'd rather be looking up then looking down...and when I get to the top I look down from the middle ;) . I remember one time On Secret Mountain Joe said" check out the view from over here" ...my response "no that's okay I'll just keep working on putting these snowballs of this agave". I remember one of Tewa's pics that made me dizzy. It was looking down and I felt like I was there :scared:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jul 28 2010 1:23 pm

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=92877
The Stillernator has no problems with heights

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jul 28 2010 8:15 pm

Like the hat Stiller! Almost football season. GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Jul 28 2010 10:12 pm

Return to “Fatalities”