GC river trip lottery--I won!!!

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

GC river trip lottery--I won!!!

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 24 2011 8:05 pm

Well, chalk it up to beginners luck. I put in for the lottery to get a private permit to raft the Grand Canyon in 2012. Some of you are probably familiar with the process. Anyway, newbies have 5 chances to win, whereas if you have been down the river recently you get only one chance. Anyway, I put in, and I won! My launch date is to be Sept. 20, 2012. I know, that's 19 months from now!

Well, I guess I will be talking about this from time to time. I have a main boatman already, and he'll invite some of his friends. There is room for a total of 16 people. It's a 21 day trip, with option to extend it beyond Diamond Creek to Pearce Ferry, to make it into closer to 30 days. Shared expenses, etc. We'll have more details as time goes on as to shared costs. There likely will be room for a few non-rowers.

I can't believe it! I'm already signed up for river guide school in May, so I hope to be learning something about how to do this over the next year and a half. I'm not too worried since I will have friends to help me with the logistics.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: GC river trip lottery--I won!!!

Post by Sun_Ray » Feb 24 2011 8:18 pm

Good things happen to good people!
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 24 2011 8:31 pm

Aw! Thanks!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 24 2011 8:57 pm

I have a raft, will travel...hint hint...;)

Seriously, congrats! That is freaking awesome!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 24 2011 9:01 pm

Yes, I thought of you! Will be in touch.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 24 2011 9:29 pm

Congrats! ... I don't have a raft, but I've been rafting before, and I'm good at rowing.... ;)
Profound observer

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 25 2011 5:32 am

Oh, they are coming out of the woodwork! ;)

This thing is 19 months off, and I have a trip leader who I will defer to in decisions of boatmen. We have to have several experienced boatmen who have run that river before, (or similar river, such as Middle Fork of Salmon) who also have boats. Then we can add a few passengers. Boats and gear can also be rented. Anything we rent will probably be from Moenkopi River Works, here in Flag. We may have them cater it for us, too.

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Feb 25 2011 8:53 am

Congrats!
You are sure to have a blast.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Feb 25 2011 2:42 pm

Awesome !

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 25 2011 7:04 pm

I now have a bargaining chip for a 2011 summer river trip. If I can go on your summer 2011 Canyon river trip, you can go on my 2012 trip. I have already posted this on GCPBA, so am hoping for a response.

Looks like we have about 3 boatmen who are interested in going in 2011. I have never in my life planned something so far off in time! And I used to think that having to put in 4 months in advance for a GC backpacking permit was a long time!
Last edited by azbackpackr on Feb 26 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Feb 25 2011 7:22 pm

Way to go, Liz! While you're at it, go buy some lottery tickets...

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 25 2011 8:07 pm

:D Now, there's a thought!

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Feb 26 2011 10:20 am

So exciting Liz! I had to give my dreams of riding the river this year - I'm glad your dreams ended up with a victory! Awesome! :y:
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 26 2011 2:21 pm

Well, this is for next year, but I am hoping to trade a spot in next year's trip for one on a 2011 trip this summer.

After seeing how this works I definitely would not go commercial except as an employee. It is just too expensive. If you have the permit, the boatmen will flock to your door. The hard part is the logistics of gear and food for 3 weeks. And ensuring that the cost is equitable, etc., etc., that you keep track of the funds properly. I am taking a class in how to do that in May, but also have a friend to help me with it.

You can also hire an outfitter to help you with whatever gear you don't have, and do your catering for you. There are a lot of ways to do it. Anyway, I'm told that for a 30 day trip from Lee's Ferry to Pearce Ferry will cost around $800 to $1000 per person, or thereabouts. The actual permit goes for 21 days, taking out at Diamond Creek, but then we have the option to extend it to Pearce Ferry.

Another thing I am doing is focusing on taking classes, joining clubs, networking, and also looking for a summer job as a driver for a river company. I actually will be on the part-time driver list for one company, it looks like--they said they will send me my schedule in a couple of weeks. Or, I might go to Colorado after taking the river guide class, and see about getting on the Arkansas River as a driver/swamper/guide, or whatever.

Although it may be easier living in Flag to find out about these things, it is still a lot of work and time to get all the info, take the classes, apply for the jobs, meet people, etc.

One good source is GCPBA, Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association. There is a Tucson club that does a lot of easy rivers: Southern Arizona Paddlers' Club.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 20 2011 5:19 am

Well, putting this to the top of the pile again, I am still looking for a summer trip for THIS summer, using my 2012 trip as a bargaining chip. So, if you hear of anyone who needs a passenger and a boatman (or just a passenger--me), for a 2011 June or July launch, please let me know. We may try to get in on a cancellation as well. Apparently there are often cancellations on private trips, sometimes at the very last minute. The Park Service will let the permit holder substitute one person for another up to the last day, as long as the new person pays an extra fee to the Park. However, the rules do NOT allow a private permit holder to add on a person at the last minute unless there has been a cancellation.

Whoever lets me on their trip can go on my trip. Of course, I will chip in funding and work, and would expect the same in return.

KwaiChang
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Mar 20 2011 8:27 pm

Wow Liz - way too cool - GOOD LUCK in finding your 2011 trip - I agree with PLC - BUY those lottery tixs!!! :y:
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 20 2011 8:54 pm

:D

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 27 2011 10:21 am

Fingers and toes crossed, said my prayers, supplicated to the gods, or whatever, that I may have found myself a private GC river trip invitation for THIS summer. (Remember, my own private permit is in 2012.) You can go only one time per year (whether as commercial passenger or on a private trip) UNLESS you are a rafting company employee.

Ok, so I am going to find out about this later today, most likely. So, if you also do supplications, prayers, or finger and toe-crossing exercises, put in a good word for me, wouldja please? :)

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Apr 27 2011 10:51 am

I'm burning incense to the rafting Gods.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 27 2011 11:54 am

Alston Neal wrote:I'm burning incense to the rafting Gods.
:worthy: :thanx:

Return to “Boat, Canoe, Kayak, etc...”