Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Superstition Mountain Northwest Summit Trail

Post by AZLumberjack » Jan 16 2012 4:52 pm

I was recently reading a Tom Kollenborn article published in the AJ News on Oct. 12, 2009 where he had just discovered that the road to the Massacre Grounds Trailhead had been permanently closed. Tom seemed quite upset about the closure because the area had ment a lot to him and his wife.

Towards the end of the article, he mentioned that access to several destinations would now be more difficult. These destinations included access to the "Northwest Summit Trail" and "Nashi’s Cave".

Is anyone out there familiar with these two locations? Or is this something that has passed into Superstition Mountain's forgotten history?
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Re: Superstition Mountain Northwest Summit Trail

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 18 2012 1:25 pm

I think the cave at one time was the home to some prospector and is located in the foothills. Stock tank is located near the end of the now closed road and several trails (old cow paths) dot the area, do not know which one is the trail you are asking about.
jk

AZLOT69
Adventure Kokopelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Jan 19 2012 1:12 pm

Tom talks about riding a horse to the flatiron at one time. The trail(route) he is referring to may have been rediscovered and documented by Kanode, a hike entitled " Old West Boulder Canyon Ridge ". Look it up.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Jan 19 2012 3:36 pm

Found it. http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1392

Sounds like a real adventure (especially the part where he skied downhill through the scree) :scared:
And it's almost impossible to imagine a person riding a horse to the Flatiron :o

Thanks for the reply :)
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Return to “Trail Chat”