Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2013 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 04 2012 4:26 pm

Hello my fellow Hazers,
Here we are again.Someone once told me that as you get older the years go faster.It sure feels like it.This year sure seems to have went way to fast.How about sharing some of your New Year Hazolutions and let us know how you did.
Well I (with a lot of help) did finish the AZT.Thanks to everyone that helped.What an awesome time it was! I did get to hike with a few more Hazers this year too.Thanks I hope many more in 2013.I will have to give it a little more thought for 2013.For now I would just say lots more safe and fun hiking with lots more Hazers.I hope you all have a great safe,healthy,fun year.One more thing.Let us find GPS Joe.God Bless!
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Re: 2013 Hazolutions

Post by PatrickL » Dec 04 2012 4:52 pm

This year ended up being quality over quantity. I'll follow the same rule next year, instead of trying to hit a certain mileage. I just want more travels, greater adventures, and bigger hikes.

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Dec 04 2012 4:58 pm

get healthy
stay healthy
everything else will take care of itself
peaks, climbs, canyons
looking forward to a multi-day backpack in the grand canyon

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 04 2012 5:17 pm

2013 goals:

1. Explore Brazil
2. Find rattlesnake den in Yellowstone (Sept 2013)
3. Photograph Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake
4. Photograph a bobcat
5. Do overnight hike to Reavis Ranch
6. Photograph a badger
7. Photograph a black-footed ferret
8. Hike Grand Canyon
9. Explore Muleshoe Ranch
10. Photograph a mountain lion

*If I heal quickly, search for gila monster dens in Feb.

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Dec 04 2012 6:24 pm

It seems this year my hikes were few and far between but I accomplished something I thought I never would be able to do and I QUIT SMOKING! :y: :GB: :GB: :GB: :GB: After 30 years!!!! And I managed only to gain 10 pounds and NOT kill anyone in the process. I agree with Patrick L and going with the quality over quantity however these are on my list:

1.) Lose 20 pounds (it used to be 10 but OH WELL!)
2.) Learn to use my Canon Rebel
3.) Coal Mine Canyon
4.) Navajo Mountain and Navajo Bridge
5.) Grand Canyon
6.) Coyote Gulch
7.) Colorado!!!!
8.) Not be such a lurker ;)
9.) Do a cartwheel with the Hippy

Happy Hazodays!

Trish
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 05 2012 6:54 am

I made one New Year's resolution in my entire life, that I recall, in 8th grade. The teacher had everyone put their resolution up on a board, and as they were broken, took them down. Mine should be the only one still up there -- 37 years later -- but oddly enough it was the first one taken down. Perhaps because the class misunderstood it. I have never broken it, and it is this: "I will never make another New Year's resolution." ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 05 2012 9:06 am

A resolution, or something I resolve to do in the calendar year 2013? Oh, nothing in particular. I just resolve to moved back to Arizona before the year's end.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 05 2012 11:54 am

Trishness wrote:9.) Do a cartwheel with the Hippy
:y:

I'm pretty sure I failed all of the resolutions I made for 2012, I should have said "in the year 2012 I plan to injure every limb on my body"
although 2012 saw me through rough times and fun times and I came out on top, on crutches, but still on top, with some great friends and experiences to remember.

So for 2013 let's start with NOT injuring myself.
I plan to tackle the Motherlode and Supes Ridgeline. (and cartwheel the beans out of the peaks!)
I will get to Skull Cave in february.
And the plan most likely to fail (second only to injuries of course) is completing my open water swim across Lake pleasant or Canyon Lake, pretty much need to get off my lazy bum and just DO IT.

oh and teach Trishness and Not Julia how to cartweel ;)

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Dec 05 2012 12:09 pm

To hike more with the creator of this thread.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Dave1
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Dave1 » Dec 05 2012 2:05 pm

Jim_H wrote: I just resolve to moved back to Arizona before the year's end.
Not liking NM?

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Dec 06 2012 1:55 pm

2013 Goal: Stay healthy and uninjured. Save money for:
2014: Return to Sikkim and the Himalaya
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Dec 06 2012 3:11 pm

writelots wrote:2013 Goal: Stay healthy and uninjured. Save money for:
2014: Return to Sikkim and the Himalaya

Advanced planning! :D
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 06 2012 4:49 pm

I'll be 60 in March. I really want to be super fit this coming decade. I can still do a cartwheel (although it hurts my wrists) and I did lose 20 pounds between May and September, but gained back 5 due to a job I had (looong story) but now I don't have that job, (YAY!!) so I can easily lose that 5 lbs. again.

Have to say that losing 20 pounds is VERY noticeable when I'm hiking, I feel lighter on my feet and faster, and it seems to affect the biking, too. Definitely worth the effort. I suggest LOW CARB such as Atkins Diet, and forget the low fat diets, they don't work, at least not for me!

This past year I knew I wouldn't be hiking much. I had other adventures. I lived in Costa Rica 4 months. I graduated from college, finally, (wish my parents had been there to see that!) I went on a 24-day river rafting trip in Grand Canyon on my own private permit, and did a lot more rowing than the previous two trips. So, all that was good. The rest of the time I have been in a super big struggle to just keep afloat financially. So, having all those adventures, I really did have to "pay the piper" in between adventures, and it has really not been very fun at all. :( Not fun at all.

I still have not ridden a "century" on my road bike. I still have two sections of Tonto, plus Waldron/Dripping Springs, to complete pretty much all named trails off South Rim. I still would like to kayak from Hoover Dam to Yuma, using a special cart to drag the kayak around the dams. I still would like to hike the AZT, and quite a few other trails. I still would like to try mountain bike touring/camping. Pretty sure this coming year is going to be very busy, however, since I am trying to move away from Eagar! So, not sure how much hiking I'll be doing, we'll see how much time I have to devote to it. Now that I don't have that onerous job, I'll have more time for hiking and biking.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Dec 07 2012 9:51 am

azbackpackr wrote: I can still do a cartwheel
:DANCE: I would give my left...errr...I'd like to see that!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 07 2012 10:17 am

You could give your left ankle. I think that one still works.
Profound observer

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Dec 07 2012 11:01 am

Parts is parts. :lol:
Last edited by kingsnake on Dec 07 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 07 2012 1:46 pm

The Hippy wrote:
azbackpackr wrote: I can still do a cartwheel
:DANCE: I would give my left...errr...I'd like to see that!
Any time! Weather's still pretty nice, come on up and hike!

I did a cartwheel yesterday, showing off for some 8th graders--I was substitute teaching. The wrists didn't hurt, since right now they are not under any strain (as they were when rowing, and schlepping heavy camping gear during the river trip).
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Hippy

Post by Hippy » Dec 07 2012 7:23 pm

chumley wrote:You could give your left ankle. I think that one still works.
it's roughly 7:30 pm...which means it's well past your bedtime so I know you won't read this until tomorrow when you wake up at 5am to yell at the paper boy from the rocking chair on your porch ...but you're sooooooooo funny. :D

@azbackpackr It's a date!

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Dec 10 2012 8:09 pm

azbackpackr wrote: I still would like to kayak from Hoover Dam to Yuma,.
...let me know when you schedule that... I'd pull out my old Sea Kayak for that trip (been in storage since 1983!) ;)
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Dec 10 2012 8:15 pm

2013... a wish list, or do we have to stay within the realm of the practical? Top of the list: be productive, personally and within my community. Have fun... have challenging fun! Learn and attempt to progress. Celebrate the moments. Lean over some edges and feel the fear.

Fall down... get back up.

Run and Ride and Hike and Read... and write.

Share with friends. Share with Strangers.

Live...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”