Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
byg202
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Durango, CO

Guthook's AZT app

Post by byg202 » Mar 01 2016 9:58 am

Does the Guthook app for the AZT have the bike route options, or just the primary hiking trail. Does it give the wilderness area bypasses?

Thanks.

wha
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Re: Guthook's AZT app

Post by wha » Mar 01 2016 5:23 pm

Just the primary hiking trail and the Flagstaff resupply route.

no avatar
regenerator
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Wenham, MA

Navigation

Post by regenerator » Mar 01 2018 10:49 pm

Opinions on using Guthook app map as principle means for navigation the trail ?

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Mar 02 2018 2:40 am

@regenerator

The app is awesome. I did also carry a full set of paper maps as a backup but they never left my backpack, except one time to "rescue" another hiker who had a dead phone. I did all my navigation using the app.

I also really liked the very recent water reports that you get on the app.
Last edited by FireFly on Mar 02 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldmanonthetrail
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Mar 02 2018 3:54 am

Ditto on Fireflys comment . I also kept a copy of the AT book on my Kindle app as well.
I also carried a small 5 ounce solar panel rather than a battery pack due to the increased load on phone battery .

no avatar
regenerator
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Wenham, MA

Post by regenerator » Mar 03 2018 8:08 pm

@FireFly Thank much.

no avatar
jasont
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jasont » Mar 06 2018 9:37 am

@FireFly
Does the Apps GPS point you in the right direction if you wonder off trail?

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Mar 06 2018 1:53 pm

jasont wrote:Does the Apps GPS point you in the right direction if you wonder off trail?
The app shows where on the map you are and you can also see the track for the trail. There is no arrow pointing which way to go, you'll need to figure that out yourself.
Go find a LonelyCache

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by FireFly » Mar 07 2018 1:26 am

oldmanonthetrail wrote:
Mar 02 2018 3:54 am
Ditto on Fireflys comment . I also kept a copy of the AT book on my Kindle app as well.
I also carried a small 5 ounce solar panel rather than a battery pack due to the increased load on phone battery .
Similar here. I kept the AT book on my phone. Makes good reading in the evening to prepare for the next day. I also kept two electronic fieldguides for birds on my phone that were used a lot (and are quite power hungry), because birding is my thing (also carried 2lbs+ binoculars around my neck 100% of the time) and I carried a separate compact camera because it has a powerful zoom that I use for birds etc. I don't care about not being ultralite so I carried both a powerbank (10.000mAh) and a solar panel (Suntactics 5W) and was able to operate off-grid for the entire thru-hike. No need to charge in towns. I actually had a big power surplus in sunny Arizona. I could have provided charging services to other hikers :)

My solar panel was attached to my backpack. It charges only slowly while walking because then usually the panel isn't aimed at the sun properly and output drops. But during breaks I would take my backpack off my back and aim the panel properly towards the sun. At these moments it charges quickly. Same when making camp.

I never charge the phone directly from the solar panel. Most phones (including mine) don't charge well when input varies, switching the display on and off or stop charging at all. Worst case it actually drains power from your phone (because of display switching on and off). So I always charge the powerbank (it will take whatever current is available) and later use it to charge the phone, camera, headlight, etc from the powerbank. So my procedure was always to charge the powerbank during the day and top up my electronic devices from the powerbank after sunset.

For my needs this worked very well, but hikers who stay in town more frequently, use less electricity and don't care about being self sufficient for electricity could be better off just carrying a powerbank and charge in town. That's lighter and cheaper.

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by FireFly » Mar 07 2018 1:30 am

@jasont

As rcorfman already wrote, you see a detailed map with yourself on it. Very convenient! I went the wrong way quite a few times, especially on the northern half where you sometimes follow forest roads for several miles before taking a turn to a small trail. Although the AZT is well signposted I sometimes just wasn't paying attention. With the app is was very easy to get back on trail. The app also indicates how far the next junction is so you'll know when to start paying attention.

no avatar
jasont
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jasont » Mar 07 2018 1:51 pm

@FireFly
Great Thank you!

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 15 2018 9:25 am

Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “AZT Biking”